Strangers touching your bump?!

fairyprincess

Reaction score
So, I've only had a little bump for a couple of weeks now but everybody seems obsessed with touching it! I don't mind if it's DH or my Mum but just random people want to touch it.

On Sunday we went out for lunch and I bumped into an old colleague (like I just about remembered her name and where I knew her from). I've never touched or hugged this woman but she seemed to think it was ok to keep rubbing my bump!

Anyone else found this? X

Yep, I work in a restaurant and every customer has to comment or try to touch it. I haven't let anyone touch me, I think it's incredibly rude and down right odd.

I was in a works meeting and the lady next to me insisted on rubbing my back and have one hand on my bump the whole meeting - I'm normally quiet an abrupt sort of person but I was so shocked I I couldn't bring myself to say anything and just let it happen!! So bizarre!! X

It's more than rude, if a midwife or doctor doesn't ask first or tell you what they're going to do so you can refuse it, they can be done for assault if you're not happy with it.

Not sure how far things extend in general dealings with other people, but I'd be offended if someone didn't at least ask first. I always ask. They'd not just touch your baby in it's pram these days so why touch it before it's even born?? Some people are very odd though.

My step-mum was kind of waving at my tummy when they were leaving the other weekend and brushed my tummy by accident but I know she didn't mean to do that. She never had her own kids (she's nearly 60) so I like how happy my DsS, niece and this LO seem to make her.

I was in a works meeting and the lady next to me insisted on rubbing my back and have one hand on my bump the whole meeting - I'm normally quiet an abrupt sort of person but I was so shocked I I couldn't bring myself to say anything and just let it happen!! So bizarre!! X

Possibly the oddest thing I've ever heard...

Possibly the oddest thing I've ever heard...

I agree what a strange woman! X

Love this thread, one of my friends was approached in a swimming baths changing room and asked if this women could feel her bump.... Lol erm no you weirdo! It's like saying can I touch your Arse? Weird people

Fairy princess & kitty - haha yes she is a strange woman she's renown around the office for being overly touchy feely! Luckily I've known her for 7 years - although we are not close in the slightest i know it's just her way of being nice?! Haha

I must be totally in the minority. I loved people touching my tummy when I was pregnant. People just get so excited by a preggy belly I think it's cute. Plus I was so tiny I was just over the moon when people realised :lol: I'll be the same next time!

Although that woman in your office sounds weird haha xx

Last edited:
I am in the minority too. I TOTALLY get why people are uncomfortable with it, but personally I love it. It feels like my baby's future community is giving him/her love and warmth and welcoming him/her into the world with me. I mean, this baby will be part of our society, not just our household, and I get that it's my body and there are boundaries with that, but I still love the attention and bump rubbing. But I don't have issues with hugs/physical space/ touching in general, so I'm sure that's a factor.

I have massive issues with personal space, and hate touchy feely stuff. Its not been so bad this time but when I was pregnant with ds it happened lots, to the point I was so frustrated by it. The last straw came in a checkout queue in Tesco, I was stood waiting and this woman who I did not know came up to me and rubbed my bump and said hello (to the bump), like I wasn't even there. So I rubbed this woman's tummy back and said hello to it too. I then went and joined another queue, leaving her looking at me like i had 3 heads. Couldn't believe I'd done it later, petty i know but god it felt good.

I have massive issues with personal space, and hate touchy feely stuff. Its not been so bad this time but when I was pregnant with ds it happened lots, to the point I was so frustrated by it. The last straw came in a checkout queue in Tesco, I was stood waiting and this woman who I did not know came up to me and rubbed my bump and said hello (to the bump), like I wasn't even there. So I rubbed this woman's tummy back and said hello to it too. I then went and joined another queue, leaving her looking at me like i had 3 heads. Couldn't believe I'd done it later, petty i know but god it felt good.

You're my hero. :lol:

I'm the same way. So far, angrily staring has helped keeping people at bay, haven't really had anyone touching my bump, and OH is really sweet and asks every time whether it's okay to touch. We'll see how that goes as Tri 3 progresses and it gets more visible, though...

I haven't had any strangers touch my bump. The only people who've touched my bump are family. I'm not a particularly touchy feely affectionate person so maybe people pick up on that vibe. But I would hate a stranger to touch my bump like in a shop or something, but I probably couldn't bring myself to actually say anything.

I wasn't showing until I was quite late on, and all I've found is incredibly rude people not being any more polite towards a pregnant lady. There's been so many times where I've held a door open, or let someone go in front of me etc and I haven't even been acknowledged or thanked. I've been standing up on a bus with no one offering me a seat. So I'd rather have a stranger touch my bump and be in awe of baby than people just being incredibly disrespectful and rude!

I sound so negative, sorry!

Last edited:
I haven't had strangers touching my bump but I'm a home carer so majority of my (female) clients always ask or just touch anyway, I don't mind as I've know them for over 2 years. Always ask if he's kicking, they get fascinated, and tbh if touching my belly makes them that little bit happier when they don't see their own family then I really don't mind! Xx

I think if people ask first it's a bit different. I love what you did to that lady bobkat! X

I don't know what came over me, I'm not normally like that!

If its someone I know well and they ask first then I'd let them (it would give me chance to brace myself lol), but if they then took that as an invite to keep doing it then I'd get annoyed. Strangers I have a real problem with, why would you stroke someone you don't know, pregnant or not?

Someone else I know said to a stranger that rubbed her belly 'Is that how people greet each other on your planet?'

Now that takes balls!

I thought reading this that it would never happen to me and why would someone want to touch my tummy! Lol well today at the dentist low and behold the receptionist made her way over to talk to me and was asking about my teeth and I said I was concerned as the gums were sore and im pregnant and she was like oh I would have never of known and asking me all these questions then she just out of no where touched my tummy!! I didnt know what to say so just smiled lol. I wasn't angry like I thought I would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back