Stopping toddler night feeds

Reaction score
My daughter turned 2 a couple of months ago and now I'm looking to cut out her milk night feeds and I'm not sure of the most effective way . After doing some research I discovered there are several different ways ; cold turkey and just taking the milk away , watering down the milk or reducing the amount of milk .

does anyone have advice on the best way

I'll be watching this. I dont have any advice unfortunately, my son is nearly 3 and in the last 6 months he's taken up drinking milk again at 3 am every night.
Now he's older there seems no reasoning with him.

I water down the milk so now he's literally drinking water but it doesn't seem to be having any effect.

xxx

Hi when you watered now the milk , over how many days did you do this and by how much ? X

I started off with half water half milk in a beaker cup. Then you just decrease a little every day.

However now he is demands more than a beaker so its in bigger water cup I'm thinking I need to just go cold turkey with him. Its getting to the point he is nappy is leaking come the morning.

xxx

My daughter refuses to drink from anything other than a bottle . Yes cold turkey sounds like your best option x

Or maybe start with 3/4 milk and 1/4 water I dont think she will notice my son didn't

xxx

Should I do this with her bedtime feed ? Or just night feeds ? should I reduce the onces as well ? X

I'd say both and yeah I would reduce the ounces or would you switch to cows milk now?

I'm no expert though there may be some other ladies who would suggest differently.

I don't think anyway is particularly wrong though.

xxx

I'm having the same trouble too with Harper. I've been watering her milk down for a while but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I think I'm gonna start reducing her milk every couple nights, so drop an oz or 2 every other night. If that doesn't work then ill have to go cold turkey but I really don't want to do that as I know Harper will be hell if she doesn't get her milk lol.

I'm also having the same problem tonks with a leaking nappy in the mornings, which is resulting in Harper waking about 5am soaking wet and refusing to go back to sleep!

Last edited:
My daughter is 2.5 years. She does get thirsty during the night. When she was younger I gradually watered down her milk until she was happy with just water. I then got a non spill cup and she has went to bed since with her cup of water that she drinks during the night. X

We had this a while ago and completely took away bottles of milk at any point in the day too so she didn't associate milk and sleep at all. So her last drink of milk is now with or just after her dinner out a cup or beaker. This seemed to work and touch wood I can't remember the last time
I had to give her one. Good luck!

Perhaps a bit controversial.. But I think I'd just stop it and stick to my guns and deal with the fallout for a few nights. Oh and hope for the best!!

Good luck x

How did anyone get on with this trying I'm at my wits end with my son being on night bottles! Takin the dummy seemed so easy once he was ready and just kept chewing them up!

Honestly cold turkey is the best way...a bit like taking off a plaster. Might be sore for a second but its over with quickly. Mayeb 2 or 3 nights of cold turkey and it will be done. I done it with the milk (although it was her morning bottle when she got up) and with her dummy.

I might try it at me mums later this week she might be more helpful in encouraging him to get off it! My OH ends up asking at middle of the night when he doesn't stop if he doesn't have a bottle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back