Stopping bf- mixed emotions

Emily0505

Reaction score
I have been combi feeding Cameron but I think I will have to stop bf now.

I had a big struggle with bf to start with due to diminished milk supply and despite my best efforts (expressing, domperidone, fenugreek) my milk supply remained too low to exclusively bf.

Recently when i have put Cam to the breast he has become agitated quickly and started crying and hitting at my breasts, making me think my supply is diminishing further still. I decided not to stress him further when he does this and just give him a bottle.

In one way I am so proud that despite the struggles I bf for 7 weeks but on the other hand I am totally gutted I can't anymore as the simple fact is I love doing it. I am really sad that I won't see his little face looking up at me while he feeds from me again- it's just the cutest thing I've ever seen. My heart melts.

I always swore I wouldnt put pressure on myself to bf but having done it (ish) and loved it, i am blaming myself and feeling like a failure! That in itself is ridiculous, as if any of you lovely ladies were to say the above to me, I would be telling you not to feel guilty and praising you for doing it at all!! Shame i cant follow my own advice isn't it?! :-(

XX

hun they go thru phases where they do that, my lg bashes me all the time but shes happy to exist on bf now anyway, shes gone thru phases where she would want to bf more or want more formula and during growth spurts not a lot pleased her and no amount of food was enough lol. whatever you have to do be proud of how much you managed and i hope it works well for you. just be aware that your probably making more than you think and it could be teething or a growth spurt and you dont have to stop, just carry on combining. its up to you but you know you havent failed at all :)

I went through the same thing at around 6/7 weeks. He was fussy and agitated and I was worried he wasn't getting enough. It was more so at night so I just kept swapping sides and trying again and he settled. They go through a growth spurt at this age so that could be why he doing it. Also the more he feeds the more it helps with your supply. But also be proud of yourself for getting this far. The most important thing is a happy mummy and happy baby :)

I have been combi feeding Cameron but I think I will have to stop bf now.

I had a big struggle with bf to start with due to diminished milk supply and despite my best efforts (expressing, domperidone, fenugreek) my milk supply remained too low to exclusively bf.

Recently when i have put Cam to the breast he has become agitated quickly and started crying and hitting at my breasts, making me think my supply is diminishing further still. I decided not to stress him further when he does this and just give him a bottle.

In one way I am so proud that despite the struggles I bf for 7 weeks but on the other hand I am totally gutted I can't anymore as the simple fact is I love doing it. I am really sad that I won't see his little face looking up at me while he feeds from me again- it's just the cutest thing I've ever seen. My heart melts.

I always swore I wouldnt put pressure on myself to bf but having done it (ish) and loved it, i am blaming myself and feeling like a failure! That in itself is ridiculous, as if any of you lovely ladies were to say the above to me, I would be telling you not to feel guilty and praising you for doing it at all!! Shame i cant follow my own advice isn't it?! :-(

XX

Hun this was me 3 weeks ago. My milk started going and henry started screaming when i out him on the breast, it broke my heart when i switched but he just wasnt putting on the weight and i didnt want anything bad happen. he took to it really well i couldn't feed him at first i made my OH do it, now i feed him all the time you will get that smile again and the look in his eyes, cuddle him close to your heart and talk to him, will make your heart melt all over again. I'm glad i switched to help him, but i wish i still breastfeed, and had the bond again but i know i will never have it. I thought i was a failier too but i know i did what was best for my child. and i have done the right thing so have you.

so chin up hunni, your doing the best you can, And a BIG WELL DONE FOR BREASTFEEDING x x x

My milk isn't really white any more, its almost clear- looks like cloudy water??

I'm so torn about what to do. Maybe we'll see how we go tomorrow.

Regardless, i think my bf days are numbered...

:cry:

XX

Hun, keep trying i did i tryed for 2 weeks, but his weight dropped instead of putting on since putting him on formula he's gained 1lb 10oz in 2 weeks. think and do what you think is right it might be your milk coming in again or blocked ducks hun i hope you can still bf x x x

I had this too. The only way you know if he's not getting enough is by the scales hun. Trust in your body.

I found it incredibly frustrating, but keep swapping breasts, leave him 10 mins etc it does pass, honest.

I know i can't bf exclusively because he does drop weight without formula top ups.

XX

Couldn't do it!!

Put him to the breast this morning and he's had a lovely feed. No crying or hitting at me. Infact its completely the other way, he keeps de-latching to chatter and smile at me!

XX

thats brilliant hun, means by the sound of it he was just going through something and he needed you to wait. At least you can still breastfeed hunni x x x well done for sticking with it x x x

Well, this time he got cross so i gave him his bottle straight away. I dont see the point in fighting him on it when i know he doesnt get enough from me and i'll havs to give him a bottle anyway.

I think I'll keep putting him to the breast and if he takes it great, if not then we'll try again next time.

That way we will both be happy.

XX

well hunni remember you have done brilliantly, me might go on the breast for a few minutes then want the bottle. your doing brilliantly hunni just keep it up the first week of switching i fed him during the night so i could keep that bond x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back