Stinking Umbilical

star fish

Reaction score
My midwife warned me that it would get smelly, but its been a week now and its dry and black but stinks so badly that you can smell it when you walk into the house! Should it really be that over-powering? I kept thinking his nappy needs changing but its so fetid that I cant mistake it anymore. Tell me yours is like this too? It doesnt look infected at all, quite clean, though it still has the peg on the end, is that normal to leave it there? Sorry if all this is obvious but I dont have a clue!

Tylers peg was taken off on Wednesday and he doesn't seem to smell :s

^^wss LOs never smelt....I'd ring mw or hv hun x

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

Oh dear, ok, will have to ring in the morning now I guess. I was really hoping it was just normal!

My Stanleys did smell and I rang the midwife and she said its normal..his was weeping a bit. She advised me to let it get some air and then the next day it dried up and dropped off!!
x

Lily's smelled too, for a day or so before it fell off. Get your HV to check it for you if you're worried though :)

Jax's smelt bad too and was really gunky. I was really worried about it but mw said it was fine. It will have a ring of red around if its infected. She just advised me to keep it clean with damp cotton wool, to food down his nappies so that its not coveted and let the air get to it as much as possible. It was all fine.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Oh yeah the nappy folding down thing is a good tip, we weren't told this at first but once we started doing that it dried up and fell off much quicker!

Thanks all for good advice, I rang the central delivery suite in the end as you can get a midwife there day or night and they said it was totally normal! Apparently as long as it is dry and not gunky, red, or anything then sometimes they just smell more than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back