Staying awake

Maud

Reaction score
Any tips on staying awake during night feeds? I had so many issues feeding my first that falling asleep wasn't on the cards until later but this time I pretty much nod off as soon as she latches on. As I feed her sat reclined in bed we're worried I'll drop her. Co-sleeping isn't an option. I take a snack and a drink to bed and have my tablet and kindle ( I used to spend hours on these with my first) but I'm lucky if I can read a page before my eyes close.

Last edited:
thats a tough one!!

Make sure you are upright on a sofa or comfy chair to lower any risks if you do drop off to sleep... or do the opposite and sit in an uncomfy stand chair to keep you awake haha!

It's tough! I try and watch something on Netflix but she only feeds for about 10 mins so was a waste of time as she would go back to sleep and I'd then be wide awake watching lol

I downloaded some random games on my phone such as solitaire and candy crush. X

I used to really struggle with this with my DD - I just used to feed her lying down, and then somehow just knew when she was finished feeding to put her back in her moses basket or cot, I never co slept! xx

Thanks for suggestions ladies. I might try feeding lying down, although not sure if there's space next to OH (or if it's safe as he sleeps with his back to me so I worry he will roll onto her?). Not convinced I would wake when she finishes though...

I do try playing candy crush as it's brighter and needs a bit more concentration than reading. I still regularly fall asleep playing it though. I'm not overly worried about dropping her but I do worry about her head lolling back without me consciously supporting it (this definitely happens and OH gets very cross at me as if I'm doing it on purpose).

Am going to try eating and drinking a bit more tonight, although it's not going to help me lose the baby weight!

It is really hard to know what to do isn't it! I guess try all those things and see if it works xx

I found BFing made me sleepy in itself + being sleep deprived I struggled with staying awake too. I used a reclining chair and breastfeeding pillow in the living room which meant his head was supported by the pillow and it was almost impossible for him to fall. I also pushed his cot against my side of the bed so he couldnt fall out and would sometimes lie with him on my side of the bed. I wouldnt have put him between me and OH because OH is a heavy sleeper. I wouldnt have done it if I was a heavy sleeper either but I am a very light sleeper, just had trouble not dropping off.

This is really tough! I kicked my DH out of the bed for the first 6 months, so there was absolutely no chance of accidents if I did fall asleep feeding. After the first 2 weeks I never bed shared with baby though, if I did nod off I usually woke as he finished and put him back in the side cot.

On the first night back from hospital, when I had missed an entire night's sleep, I was terrified feeding in bed and so fed in a feeding chair... obviously I fell sound asleep & woke up with my son in my arms and looking back that could have been really dangerous... so bed was always my preference after that. I just accepted I would fall asleep sometimes & therefore had a set up appropriate for safe bedsharing if/when it happened (which for me personally meant no DH!)

Last edited:
I used to watch trash TV overnight to get me through.. Baby would feed for over an hour each time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back