Starting work when pregnant

I don't think legally they can say anything as this would be classed as discrimination :think:

However... they may be funny as you'll be leaving etc. Perhaps call them and explain that you're pregnant. See what happens.

I have worked somewhere where I was pregnant (catholic school) and they were quite funny and I have never hated being there as much as I did. Got another job when I was 20 weeks and I am completing a temp contract for them.

Good luck xx

You are entitled to time off to go to antenatal care classes.

Yoga is different however. Antenatal just means before the birth, you don't have entitlement to take time off to anything that advertises itself as antenatal. I know lots of people who would like to go to aquanatal but it is daytime so they can't because they work. If medically you should go to this, you should get proof from the GP or midwife that this is part of your care but you should request time off rather than assuming you can get it. The same is true of things like parentcraft classes and relaxation classes.

ETA: I just wanted to make sure that you know that even though you interviewed before you were pregnant because you did not start working for them until after you are pregnant you are not entitled to maternity pay from them. As long as you have worked for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before baby is due you will be entitled to maternity allowance. So from your employers point of view, although it may be a pain that you are on maternity leave and therefore not there, you won't cost them anything, nor will they have to have the hassle of claiming back SMP from the government. and you can be completely honest with them that you won't be going back as you will be going to university and that will allow them to completely replace you rather than employing someone just to cover you.

kalia said:
You are entitled to time off to go to antenatal care classes.

Yoga is different however. Antenatal just means before the birth, you don't have entitlement to take time off to anything that advertises itself as antenatal. I know lots of people who would like to go to aquanatal but it is daytime so they can't because they work. If medically you should go to this, you should get proof from the GP or midwife that this is part of your care but you should request time off rather than assuming you can get it. The same is true of things like parentcraft classes and relaxation classes.

I am sorry Kalia but you are giving wrong information here, you ARE entitled to PAID time off for antenatal care
if your Doctor or Midwife feel that is is beneficial to you this can include 'relaxation/parentcraft classes etc, obviously you should try to book theses classes for outside work time as much as possible but your employer cannot refuse to let you attend. this is from the directgov website:

Time off for antenatal care
All pregnant employees, however long they've been in their jobs, are entitled to reasonable time off work for antenatal care. Any time off must be paid at your normal rate of pay. It is unlawful for your employer to refuse to give you reasonable time off for ante-natal care or to pay you at your normal rate of pay.

Your employer can ask for evidence of antenatal appointments from the second appointment onwards. If asked you should show your employer a medical certificate showing you're pregnant and an appointment card or some other written evidence of your appointment.

Antenatal care may include relaxation or parent craft classes as well as medical examinations, if these are recommended by your doctor. If you can, try to avoid taking time off work when you can reasonably arrange classes or examinations outside working hours.

I have hi-lighted the part regarding 'relaxation', parentcraft classes etc which DOES fall under antenatal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back