Starting to pack my hospital bag etc

Alexis2017

Reaction score
What did you pack for your newborn in your hospital bag?

So far my plan is :-
3 x Vests (in New born and 0-3 months sizes)
3 x Baby grows (in New born 0-3 months sizes)
Going home outfit
Pramsuit. Remove
2 x Mitts
3 x Hats
3 x Muslin squares change to 6
2 x Cardigans
1 xJacket remove
1 x Blanket
15 Nappies
Some Nappy bags remove
1 x Bath towel and 2x wash cloths remove

Added

Cotton wool balls
1 packet of baby wipe

For me :-

1 x Black pj set
Slippers changed to Flip-flops
Black dressing gown
Maternity towels
Breast pads
Nursing bra add in 2
Black delivery gown
Spritz for bits
Face wipes
Hair brush and baubles
Toothpaste and brush
Shamp /cond/shamp
Change of clothes to go home in
Disposable maternity pants (shhhexy)

Added
Lip balm
Dry shampoo
Feeding pillow
Haribo
Water bottle
Headphones
Eyemask
Flannel
Black night gown
Phone and charger
GF snacks
Instax camera and film

Also I've packed a extra hand luggage case for the car as a grab bag incase I'm in longer to 48 hrs or so

Extra bag for longer stay :-

5 comfy t shirts
More disposable pants
More maternity pads and breast pads
Maternity leggings
Another set of pjs

Last edited:
Oooh how exciting!
The face wipes are a good idea I would also take some all over body wipes, like baby wipes or water wipes or something - I was filthy after giving birth, covered in blood and id thrown up all over myself but wasn’t allowed to even get up and wash my hands as id had an epidural so I used a pack of wipes to wipe myself down and it was a godsend!
If you are going to try breastfeeding a spare pillow comes in handy for helping positioning the baby, the hospital might have one though
If you want some snacks you could take things like protein bars etc, I took a pack of Haribo and loads of water,
Can’t think of anything else I think you have it covered
How exciting, are you getting excited now?

Don’t forget wipes for the baby! Or cotton wool if you’re using that.

and big maternity pads for yourself.
I never ended up going to the hospital as I had an unexpected home birth but I packed the same stuff as you.

I also packed a flannel, good for when you get hot during labour. I also packed a towel too as probably nicer than the ones you get from the hospital. Headphones? Two spare phone chargers. I’d pack two nursing bras. I also had packed flip flops incase you want to wear something but get too hot in slippers etc

One thing I’d really recommend to buy, is a small handheld fan! I got one off amazon. It was a lifesaver! I got sooooo hot during labour and also afterwards too. So it was so nice blasting cold air in my face lol maybe it’s just me but whenever I feel really hot I start feeling sick so having the fan was just a nice cooling effect and made me feel less shitty!

Oh and one more thing lol I wish I had told my husband where I had packed stuff specifically in the bag lol. When you need things from your hospital bag and your contractions are sooo intense, it sounds weird but even having the energy to tell them exactly where stuff is packed but you need it ASAP, is really a drag lol so make sure you tell yours haha

Soo exciting :), my mums been awesome and done mine as my Christmas present so I'm thankful lol.

I think you've got babies side done really, just cotton wool balls, I used these the whole time I was there to clean babies bum and I got a pack of water wipes incase.

Also flannels.. I had two, after birth things wernt too pleasant so I had a shower, used one flannel and binned it and then kept the other for while I stayed. Lots of maternity pads (NHS ones aren't very nice to borrow), joggers and 2 t-shirts (just helped me feel normal as I was in for a few days), trainers as my feet swelled, water bottle, 4 x high waist black pants and more than one nighty (as baby puked on me and waters went on one).

I'd also say 3 more muslin squares, my boy was really pukey but I was in for 4 days x

Honestly I didn't use half the stuff I brought. I didn't have a straightforward delivery and stayed in one night. If I did it again, I'd just bring basics in with me and leave a back up bag in the car boot just in case.

I completely underestimated how hot the hospital would be so things like a dressing gown etc for me was a total waste of time. I would say everything else for you is about right. I was happy to use hospital towels. I didn't bother with disposal pants and just took underwear I was happy to bin but actually the slim maternity pads were fine for me. Definitely pack a snack bag, both for you and OH.

As for baby's things, I wouldn't take a pram suit. We definitely didn't need one for a cold November baby. Hospital was so hot he only had a baby gro and a vest on at most while we were in. If you can get the gros with mitts built in, they're better than separate mitts which just fall off or get lost! As for toiletries etc, cotton wool and water is fine for the early days.

Nothing to do with hospital bags but the best thing I did in terms of prep was freezer meals. Can't recommend that enough for the early weeks with a newborn.

I agree with @MoominGirl about the freezer meals. I have started making food since the OH had to do all the cooking with DD and he would usually just order take out, until his stepsister stepped in and started making food for us. Was suuuuper grateful for being able to eat normal food.

Your list is quite complete. I had some make up remover wipes as I had to rush to hospital and didn't think about my make up. During labour, the room got so hot, my make up started streaking and getting into my eyes. So have a few ready if you wear make up obviously.

Like @xoxo said as well, tell your oh where you put your items and documents. Oh and bring a pen lol, felt so stupid when I forgot something so basic.x

Thanks everyone!

I am packing a smallish bag for me and the baby and then have a wee hand luggage case for extra stuff incase needed.

Washed some baby clothes today and hung them up to dry. It's feeling real now!

Definitely an idea for all the extra stuff you're not sure on to be put in a small bag in the car boot for your partner to pick up incase you need something (like my DH was a headless chicken worrying).

I also stuck a large empty plastic bag in because I know once babies here ill chuck things out like i did last time and he can take that back x :)

Eye mask incase you end up staying in. The lights in the wards are soooo bright. You won’t get a wink of sleep. Also if you plan on breast feeding. Take your Lansinoh cream ... your nipples will need it from day one.
Stuff for your lips. Gas and air can dry them out.
Happy Mama is a great website for maternity nighties and tops.
I took everything and barely used anything and I had a planned C section. Reassuring to have it handy though.
Don’t forget things like phone chargers.

Seconding the handheld fan. Hospitals are HOT. I used arnica tablets to help with the swelling/bruising afterwards too, they were fab. Definitely more than 1 nursing bra, when you start to leak it's like someone has switched a tap on:rotfl:

I'm going flip flops instead of slippers as the hospital showers weren't the nicest.

Definitely snacks - I was starving whilst trying to establish feeding. Tens machine if you might want to use one? Phone charger!

Your list for baby seems complete to me - although they dont bath babies in the first week at our hospital so cant advise on toiletries.

Eye mask incase you end up staying in. The lights in the wards are soooo bright. You won’t get a wink of sleep. Also if you plan on breast feeding. Take your Lansinoh cream ... your nipples will need it from day one.
Stuff for your lips. Gas and air can dry them out.
Happy Mama is a great website for maternity nighties and tops.
I took everything and barely used anything and I had a planned C section. Reassuring to have it handy though.
Don’t forget things like phone chargers.

I've got my pj's and delivery down and dressing gown off happy mama and few other things so I agree it's great.

I know about the bright lights as I work in a hospital I'm pretty much in a hospital most of my week... I practically live there lol

I will pack some lip balm!

Seconding the handheld fan. Hospitals are HOT. I used arnica tablets to help with the swelling/bruising afterwards too, they were fab. Definitely more than 1 nursing bra, when you start to leak it's like someone has switched a tap on:rotfl:

I'm going flip flops instead of slippers as the hospital showers weren't the nicest.

Definitely snacks - I was starving whilst trying to establish feeding. Tens machine if you might want to use one? Phone charger!

Your list for baby seems complete to me - although they dont bath babies in the first week at our hospital so cant advise on toiletries.

My slippers are basically furry flipflop style so should be okay for around the ward as all open but may bring Flip-flops for shower?

I need to bring snacks as I have coeliac disease so need my own gf options so that will be done anyway. I've just only bought one nursing bra so far so need to get more but waiting for pay day now.

I had stuff that I will automatically pack like my phone and charger, headphones goes without saying, also brining my instax camera for some poloroid pics!

I've ordered a nursing Lounge 2 piece set from Boohoo for Comfort and to wear home and in the house in first few days.

@Summerwine so I don't need to bring any baby toiletries then? I have no idea about this stuff so that's good to know!

@Sparklisam I have the nipple cream packed!

Last edited:
My experience with baby toiletries was the same as summerwine. I took a few small bits but didn't use any of it.

I took crocs rather than slippers due to the shower now I think about it and also a plastic bag for any items for washing.

I was in for 3 and half days with baby as I had to have him tested (thyroid disease) and I just bathed him when I got home so I didn't take anything.

Yeah I'd second flipflops too.. I wore them in the actual shower as I had a section and couldn't bend :oops:. I don't think I even wore slippers, I'm more a barefoot person so I stuck socks on lol.

Thanks everyone! Just a few more things to get and pack and I'm ready

We picked up our pram /travel system today.. So excited

Sounds like you have most things covered!
Lip balm is a must, dry shampoo can be a lifesaver. Water bottle with a straw. I’d advise a nightie in case you have a catheter.
Baby wise, i wouldn’t bother with toiletries, water will be fine on their delicate skin. Pram suit/ coat not really necessary unless you’re walking home, they shouldn’t wear them in a car seat anyway. A blanket would be good though.

I should probably start getting mine in order too!

I’m gonna use your list to help me with my bag lol. Looks like you have most things covered!

Agree with above, pram suits (or thick coats) shouldn’t be used in car seats, you’re better with a blanket over baby if it’s cold.

Good luck when the time comes!! X

Okay so I've taken pramsuot and coat off my list...

I've got a back delivery gown packed so will find a nightie to add in

For what it's worth I brought newborn and 0-3 month clothes and they were all way way too big. Winter was 2.9kg, 6lb 6oz ,so not exactly tiny. I'd bring one preemie outfit unless you're very sure you're having a big baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back