Starting School

Mrs M

Reaction score
Hello, can someone please give me some advise. My daughter is 4 and starting school in September. She is such a lovely girl, all the ladies at her playgroup love her and keep saying 'if only we had a class of Kates' and 'she's a pleasure' etc. She is never in trouble, does everything she is asked to do, is polite, friendly but very sensitive! And she follows people round like a sheep! I'm so worried about her starting school. She can make friends no problem at all, but sometimes she is a bit stalker-ish (iykwim!), and also she does things she wouldn't normally do when she is with them e.g. we went to the cinema with one of her friends and her friend ran off. I could see her looking back at me knowing she was wrong but she ran anyway. Another time her friend was taking all her lunch off her and she just let her. She thinks she's sharing, but doesn't realise that she is going without. Ok you get the picture! How do I toughen her up/make her a little more assertive, without losing my lovely little girl?

It's a tricky one. My eldest is starting in sept.

Around new people and in new places she's very shy. Likes to watch a lot, taking everything in first.

I'd like her to toughen up a bit too. I've just been trying to build her confidence, encourage her to make her own decisions not follow her sister. It seems to be doing some good.

She even ordered her own food in a restaurant today...melted my heart. She'd never have done that two months ago!

Good luck x

The good thing about school is all the kids are different, whilst some are trouble makers, others are peace makers and look after friends etc.
I can remember starting school, I was also very quiet, shy, never got into trouble and couldn't stand up for myself, but I had friends who were protective and looked after me, standing up against bullies and playing a more mature role over me. It wasn't just primary school but also grammar school and even college. I now work with kids and see the same thing happening all the time.
Your daughter will make friends and they will all help and look after one another, so In fact she should actually be less vulnerable.
Try not to worry and just keep check on how she feels, but I can pretty much garuntee her new friends will take good care of her :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back