Starting IVF 2017

Discussion in 'Long Term TTC & Fertility Issues' started by Shinebright, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Shinebright

Shinebright Member

Never had a problem getting pregnant before, I've been pregnant 4 times, 3 children .
    I was sterilised at my youngest's birth thinking our family would be complete..
    Life's changed - My youngest died, I left my husband and I've remarried - So can anyone help with what's expected to happen?
    I am hoping to start IVF before the grand age of 35!

2. Loubalouba

Loubalouba Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your youngest child :( just heartbreaking! I am almost 37 and started IVF at the age of 35. Firstly you have a seminar/info session on how it works etc, then you have bloods done and your partner will have his sperm checked, depending on your bloods and his sample they will tell you if ICSI or ivf is better, basically if any signs of problems with sperm count and they may suggest ICSI which is where they inject the sperm into the egg! Your bloods will determine your drug dose and protocol. Basically you are given drugs to suppress your cycle then drugs to stimulate your ovaries to produce follicles which hold the eggs! A scan will show how well you have responded and they will decide when to collect the eggs. A trigger shot injection will be given to you and then so many hours later you go for egg collection. They sedate you for this so you are asleep! Your hubby will need to give a sample at the same time. They then add the two together leave them overnight and then ring you to tell you how many have fertilised. You then get another call 3 days later and they tell you how they are doing, some will die some will continue to develop, they leave them as long as poss to work out the strongest embryos, ideally you want some to get to day 5 - a blastocyst as these are more likely to get you pregnant and go the distance! So 5 days ish later if you have any blastocysts you go for transfer, which Is a simple procedure they pass a catheter and then inject the embryo into your uterus! 11 days later you take a test! There is much more to it than that but it gives you an idea I hope! It is stressful but lots of ladies get their BFP's from ivf so def worth it! It may not work first time but if you have any embryos that are good enough to freeze then you can try again 3 months later once your body has recovered.
    Hope this helps a bit!

Lou x

3. Shinebright

Shinebright Member

Thanks very much Lou...

Very informative infomation there ��

4. phonixgirl

phonixgirl Well-Known Member

Hi

Sorry for the delay, I've not been on much recently! I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your youngest, can't even begin to imagine what you've been through.

Lou summed it all up well. I really hope it works for you. Good luck. Xx