starting blw!

beanster

Reaction score
hi ladies. Going to start blw next week, sooo excited. Just wondered what your lo's had for their first experiences and if you have any top tips! X

My top tip is don't get too excited. It's pretty anti climactic to start with as they just play with it. It's great fun in the long run though so enjoy x

My top tip is don't get too excited. It's pretty anti climactic to start with as they just play with it. It's great fun in the long run though so enjoy x

Yup, agree with this... we've been doing it for a couple of weeks and she's still not really swallowing much. Steamed broccoli is a good starter, as is banana, and baby ricecakes. Take a look at the New BLW's thread in here :)

I didn't think it was anti climactic at all tbh as I was prepared for him to just play and wasn't bothered about how much he was or wasn't eating. Be prepared for gagging and know the difference between gagging and choking. Remember that babies who haven't had puréed food gag a lot closer to the tip of their tongue but its how they learn to deal with food.

We did basically whatever we were eating. The only thing I changed was how I cut things up. So I'd do big strips instead of small circles. Also if you add salt to vegetable water or pasta water make sure you either don't add any or you make baby's seperate. Good luck and enjoy :)

hi ladies. Going to start blw next week, sooo excited. Just wondered what your lo's had for their first experiences and if you have any top tips! X

Hello :wave:

I would just say be patient, be laid back about mess - broccoli gets EVERYWHERE! Don't expect your LO to eat anything really as with BLW "food before one is fun", but it's all about them learning different textures, tastes, flavours etc And the improvement in hand eye coordination and dexterity is great.

The gagging can be a bit scary - I think we'd be lying if we said we all hadn't jumped up once or twice and started patting them on the back but they are really very clever and learn ever so quickly. My LO coughs with no panic or upset to push out any food she can't chew or doesn't want. I trust her with food which I think is really important.

Take it one day a time, try some puree's and yoghurts too etc so you can how best your LO feeds - my small girl will not be spoon fed if her life depended on it! She gets in a right huff and turns her head away so whether I like it or not, we're doing BLW! Lol! I am really enjoying it though and we've got a new BLW thread on here so stop by and have a look x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back