St Johns Wort & the Mirena Coil?

mdsremos

Reaction score
I know that recent information is that St Johns Wort affect the contraceptive pill from working properly which can lead to pregnancy in some cases but I cant find any information about it affecting the Coil implant?
I spoke with the pharmacist at Boots who was very nice and said that becuase I have a coil there is no way I can become pregnant although St Johns Wort affects the hormone levels so I may bleed differently (have hardly any bleeding usually) but when I spoke with my practice nurse she said these would be no problem as it doesnt affect contraception only the hormone level and this relates to all methods of contraception.
I am so scared of falling pregnant having used the contraceptive pill from the age of 13 for heavy periods then later for contraception and when we decided to try for a baby I fell pregnant first go then miscarried and fell again straight away! Wow, we were either very lucky or very reproductive so really dont want to tempt fate but I wanted to try St Johns Wort as a natural product as I am going through periods of tiredness, being snappy/irritable and really fed up :cry: Working full time, being a mother, a wife and a homeowner is all taking its toll and just need something to give me a lift for a while.......

I'm sorry, I've only read studies with respect to the pill. From what I can gather, there hasn't been much research done in this area, so chances are they just don't know. You might be better off making adjustments to your diet, exercise regime, sleeping pattern etc to give yourself that lift. Equally, you could go and see a homeopath. They treat the whole person rather than just one symptom so you may find that that approach works better.

My little girl is a St. Johns Wort baby so to speak. They didn't discover the connection between St Johns Wort and the oral contraceptive till Jan 1999, well I conceived in Nov 1998.

I had my mirena coil fitted 4 years ago and removed in March this year so we could start trying for the baby I'm currently pregnant with. I still took St Johns Wort, and in 4 years I never had a scare. The chemicals in St. Johns Wort interfere with the absorbtion of the oral contraceptive pill through the stomach lining, as it does with other drugs too. As the mirena coils hormones are locally released into your uterus, the St. Johns Wort does not get down there to interfer. Although there is some belief that St. Johns Wort interferes with hormone levels, I was advised the above by my gyno.

You should be fine while taking St. Johns Wort while enjoying freedom from periods which the Mirena coil gives. Also the mirena coil is still a coil and will still be a method of contraception even without the hormones. The only difference will be the fact that your periods might be heavy.
hug:

Thanks for that Squiglet, just wanted someone's opinion who had been there and done that so to speak instead of all the well it could or it might not professional debating!
I take it you found St John's Wort to be effective then?
Have had a look at the Homeopathic way of managing stress and strain but its very expensive though although it probably is worth it but unsure which route to try first....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back