Squealing / crying during bottle feeding

glass angel

Reaction score
Hi

Sebby is now 8 weeks old, but he was 6 weeks early, so he's still only about 7lb. I was very unwell just before / after he was born, and wasn't producing enough milk, so he's been formula fed since 3 weeks old.

He's always had a 'fussy time' about 10pm, where he just cries and cries for no reason we can find, but the length of time has increased from about 30 min to about 3 hours. Now, in addition to that, the past week or so he has started crying while feeding. He was steadily increasing his intake and had got up to about 70ml each time, but now he's gone down to 40-50ml every 2-3 hours, and cries even while rooting for more milk. He sometimes seems to be sucking from the teat but not swallowing, so the milk just runs straight out of his mouth. We use Nuk teats and Cow and Gate formula.

Seb often gets hiccups, but rarely spits up and has never vomited. I do keep him upright in my arms for about 30 min after feeding and he usually goes to sleep then. If he won't sleep and continues fussing, he will go to sleep face down on my lap. The past couple of nights, we've falled asleep with Seb face down on my chest, which I don't feel is safe (although I was in the middle of the bed and hubby was in the spare room. Seb usually sleeps in a moses basket beside my bed).

I will definately take Seb to the health visitor drop-in clinic on Tuesday, but in the mean time, does anyone have any ideas? M-i-L gave him a drink of cooled boiled water the other night, which seemed to help the hiccups and he did settle after this, but I am worried that plain water takes up formula space at this age.

Could it be slient reflux? Is there anything else I could try to settle him at night?

Late nights I can cope with, but I really need him to stop crying while feeding, as I don't like the fact we've had to bottle feed anyway, and it's getting me very frustrated.

Thanks

Carrie and Seb

It does sound like a silent reflux. When you put your LO on his back does he squirm? My girl also sneezes a lot and makes loud noises especially at night then she screams in pain and can't be settled unless i give her breast. Did your MIL give water in the bottle? I am thinking of trying this as well.

Cooled boiled water is fine for formula fed babies. Just a little. I have to use it to try and keep my little man going as he tends to stuff himself and give him belly ache. It also helps with keeping constipation at bay in ff babies xxx

Thanks guys. Camellia - he squirms if I put him staight on his back, but not if he's gone to sleep in my arms and then I put him down on his back. My M-i-L gave him water from a bottle, it did help so it might be worth a go for your liitle one too.

I phoned the health visitor today, she thinks it sounds like straight forward collic, she suggested Infacol and boiled water, so I've got some Infacol, and will give him water in the evenings. If he's not at least a bit better in a week, we'll see if it's anything more complicated.

Carrie

My lo has reflux but with sick and lots of it!! Sounds like silent reflux to me. They will try to say its colic as reflux is often overlooked. The only way is to go to th doctors and if they won't help go again and again.
Mia's reflux nearly broke me but it's so much better with the meds and she's so much happier :) xx

my LO started this during the night. She is sucking away at her hands and gaping her wouth wide and when i give her the bottle she takes it then starts screaming, and the milk runs out of her mouth. This is usually towards the end of her feed. She initially takes the bottle fine, but after her first winding break its a problem to get her to take the rest of the feed.

then she will just fall asleep on me, and get grumpy if i try to put her down, but then she has always done that.

hope its a passing faze! (infacol was rubbish when she was colicky the first week, Dentinox was better but she didnt like the taste. Colief and Dr Browns bottles saved the day for us. x)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back