Spotting - How Much is Too Much?

Louise

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently 8weeks pregnant and have experienced a bit of spotting. Not a lot of blood and dark brown in colour, but needless to say it's always worrying.

I called my early pregnancy helpline & whilst they were pleasant, all I was told was that it's probably nothing and if I have more blood to call again. They also asked if it was my 1st pregnany (yes) - which made me feel a bit neurotic!!!!

As you've probably guessed - miscarriage is my main worry & I was hoping for some info from anyone who has miscarried or other mums-to-be who have experienced spotting.

How much blood should I see before I start worrying?
What colour/consistency is it?
What do any associated pains feel like?
Can I insist on a scan to ease my fears?

Louise said:
Hi everyone, I'm currently 8weeks pregnant and have experienced a bit of spotting. Not a lot of blood and dark brown in colour, but needless to say it's always worrying.

I called my early pregnancy helpline & whilst they were pleasant, all I was told was that it's probably nothing and if I have more blood to call again. They also asked if it was my 1st pregnany (yes) - which made me feel a bit neurotic!!!!

As you've probably guessed - miscarriage is my main worry & I was hoping for some info from anyone who has miscarried or other mums-to-be who have experienced spotting.

hi i have very similar symtoms as you a am 6weeks i have brown blood and a little cramps i went to a+e because of this they gave me a blood test to check my hormone levels and a scan every thing seemed ok i was told that brown blood is old blood its not much to worry about.have you got a scan booked?

I have a dating scan booked - but not for another 3 weeks.

I seem to just be wishing the days away til I'm 12weeks & can hopefully stop worrying a bit!

Louise said:

i tink if you are really worried maybe ring your nearst hospital ask if they have an early pregnancy unit speak to them they was really help ful to me had a scan last week got another 1 on 8th of march xxx

Well - unfortunately over the weekend things got worse and a scan showed that although I had an 8week gestation sack, there was no visible embryo inside. Since then a natural miscarriage is occurring, so I'm in for a pretty crappy week!!

I have been reading the conceiveing after miscarriage section though, and Dr also says no reason why I shouldn't fall pregnant again & go on to have a healthy baby, so fingers crossed that in the not too distant future I will have some happier news to share.

Take care all & thanks for the advice.

I am so very sorry to hear that. There isn't much more that can be said but that. :cry:

hi louise, I have had a similar experience recently and can emphasize with you. I had an ultrasound at 10 wks and 3 days and was told after the scan that I was actually 7 wks and 3 days but that the baby was okay and there was a strong heartbeat. Approximately a week later I started to experience the same type of spotting that you did and about 3 days after it started I went to the hospital and was initially told that it was just old blood and that it would subside and that the baby is probably fine. They were not even going to do a ultrasound or nothing but I requested that they do one because I just had a nervous feeling. After the ultrasound was completed I was informed that the baby had no heartbeat and that I would probably start to miscarry within the next few days and I did. Miscarrying over the past week has been the most difficult experience for me. Besides the physical pain and bleeding I have been emotionally drained because I have cried so much and have just been so withdrawn and alone. I hope that you are feeling better though and I wish you all the best.

Hello to both of you ... I am very sorry for your loss!

Nov 2002 I had a Heart beat at 6 weeks, but was told I had a torn placenta. At 8 weeks no HB. I was told I would miscarry and never did. It was very emotional and disheartening. I had a D and C at 11weeks. In Oct 2003 and then was 7 weeks pregnant and found out I had a blighted ovum (empty sac). I was crushed again. I also didn't miscarry that one ... and had a D and C at 12 weeks. Though it isn't too much comfort. At least your body is reacting naturally.

I have 3 wonderful and healthy children 10y, 7y and 5y ... I am gratful everyday for my miracles. I always thought I would have 4 or 5 kids. And I never thought my baby bearing years would end with 2 miscarriages. I would pray all the tims "please don't let me get pregnant unless it will be a healthy pregnancy to full term." Each of my children were an easy pregnancy, not a concern at all.

I will tell you now ... I am 5 weeks pregnant and 3 weeks post ovualtion ... and all is going well. All my levels are extremely better than the previous 2 times. So, there is hope. Though I am scared, I try not to let fear take over. I have let go and let God ... if it is meant to be, it will be. I have to beleive that all is going to be fine and I can't wait for 12 weeks to get here!

I wish you all the very best ... please say a prayer for me that this pregnancy is a healthy and viable one.

I hope this helps and gives you both hope.
Thanks and Take Care!

I will definately pray for you dacocado. I was devastated when I had a miscarriage in July 2004. I was 8 weeks when it happened and it passed on it's own. I knew something was wrong the night before because I started cramping up. I had never felt cramps like that before. In the morning I realized I was spotting. The cramping got worse and later on that day I started bleeding heavily. I called the doctor but of course there's nothing they can do that early to stop it from happening. I went in the next day to be examined and it was definately confirmed to be a miscarriage.

DH and I were really upset and I was scared that I'd never be able to have children in the future. 2 months later in November we got another BFP and are so thrilled to be expecting a baby girl! I felt much better when I hit 12 weeks since I've heard the likelihood of miscarrying drastically decreases.

I wish all of you ladies TCC the best of luck! :)

Hello Ladies,

Firstly - rnmum, I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. I've sent you a private message. Take care hun.

Dacocado - Sending you my best wishes for a happy healthy pregnancy.

AmberNicole - Congrats to you also. It's so reassuring to read messages from people who have miscarried and are now progressing through a healthy pregnancy.

Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

YEA!! I got my labs back last night!. I was told a 1000 would be OK result for my Hcg level ... I was 1361!!!!!! Way stronger and better than expected. I still have several weeks to get through before my first trimester is over. But, I truly feel good. I have faith!

My U/S is scheduled for 4/12/2005. I can't wait!

Thanks again and best of luck to you all. I'll be checking in again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back