Spotting at 18 weeks??? A problem???

babsi

Reaction score
This is the first time that I have noticed any bleeding of any kind, it is not that much and it is brown. If I was miscarrying would I know about it? I was cramping last night and a little this morning. Nothing major.

Luckily I have a scan in 7 hours, so I can see what is going on, but I am getting really worried now as this is the 1st time I have had bleeding of any kind.

Sorry to be a pain.

You are not a pain.

I would be doing the exact same thing.

I don't have any answers I'm afraid but I am keeping everything crossed for you for the scan.

Hope everything goes well. Let us know how it goes

Bleeding nearer 20 weeks or after should always be reported to your midwife hun. Just let them know. And as sarah said, you're not a pain. it's probably nothing but get it checked just to be safe. xx

Hi,

I bled at 17 weeks, not a lot but I noticed it when I went to the loo, it was bright red so I went to a&e where I had a scan and an internal. I had a haemmorage (?) in my placenta, only a little one but I had to have bed rest for four days and take it easy after that. I also have had a UTI which has meant that I have had blood in my wee. It's best to get it checked out, spotting is apparently common but its best to make sure. I have had no further probs and baby is kicking the hell out of me now so don't worry.

xxxxxxx

Hiya Babsi

Bleeding at your stage of pregnancy is more commonly associated with problems with the Placenta, such as Placenta previa (low lying placenta) rather than miscarriage. Bleeding can also occur after sex or a pelvic exam...Sometimes the cause of the bleeding may be hormonal and therefore no reason can be found upon examination.

Spotting, brown mucus discharge, or dark blood should always be evaluated, but the need to do so typically is not as urgent as when bright red bleeding or passing clots is involved. I know any bleeding is worrying, but it is more common in pregnancy than people think.

Good luck with your scan, I'm sure everything will be fine! - Let us know how you got on.

Thanks everyone!

I am starting to feel some kind of movements now, like little pops, so if I am not imagining it the baby is fine.

It was just the first time that I have had bleeding of any kind but still won't feel right until I have seen the scan....or had the baby which seems so long now.

I'm in Canada and chose to go to an Obstetrician but will probably mention it on my next visit. Was told last week that this would be my last scan (so many rules here) and asked if I could pay for them and told this was illegal!

I was going to post yesterday but caught this horrible headache and cold when I went to the hospital on Wednesday night by being caught in some horrible rain and then mix in all the germs at a hospital and I feel bad.

First for the nice part of the story, had the scan on Wednesday night and was worried before, so I told the person who did the scan what had happened with the bleeding and he re-assured me straight away by saying the baby was moving and the heartbeat was there. He checked to see if he could see where the bleeding was coming from and couldn't see anything and then advised me to go to see my doctor.

The scan was great, even though the 12 week one was great as well there was something special about this one, as we could see a lot, lot more. The baby was moving all over the place and couldn't keep still lol...and we found out it was a little boy (don't believe any of the old wives tales, especially the heartbeat one, I was near enough convinced it was a girl because the hearbeat was 163 and a few of the other tales).

Here are some pics from the scan:
baby18weeks.jpg

baby18weeksb.jpg

On the 1st scan the baby looks a lot my husband in the face, it is funny.

The we went for a meal and I was relaxed for the first time all day, went to the bathroom and noticed the bleeding starting again, so we just couldn't relax and went to the hospital. We were there 4 and a half hours, I do feel they put pregnancy behind other cases as when I had a m/c before I was sitting in the waiting room in really bad pain, couldn't even lie down.

Well apart from that I had an internal and the doctor said that my cervix was closed and no was no bleeding, everything looked fine. I did an urine test and they found that I had an infection, I am starting to think that it all could be related and I am now on antibiotics to clear it up, and it could also be related to the 'leaking' of urine that I had beginning on Monday.

I have 2 questions though:

If they have seen the cervix is closed at 18 weeks, what are the chances of it opening before the baby is 'supposed' to come out? Am I safe now or not?

I am going to the Uk to visit my family next month and really would like another scan there, do you think it is possible and how much would it cost?

Thanks and I am feeling a lot better now, but will never be totally relaxed until January 11th 2006!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back