Splinter :(

Jajis

Reaction score
Poor boy got a tiny splinter in the heel of his foot yesterday, and I have not got a clue how to get it out? :( Any ideas?

We've tried to get it out but it's pretty embedded and there's no end sticking out and he just wriggles around as soon as you try (to be fair, even as an adult I don't like getting splinters out so I don't blame him). I thought about trying to do it when he was asleep, but I think he'd just wake up as soon as I touched it.

It's starting to look a bit pink so I put a tiny bit of Savlon on it, but obviously need to get it out asap and I have no clue how... HELP!

Last edited:
Erm, sorry no idea either, maybe try after a bath?

We tried that this evening, I thought the skin would be nice and soft so it would be easier, but he was screaming and thrashing about after my OH had been trying for about two seconds :(

Magnesium sulphate. It's a paste that you apply a few times a day and cover with a sock or plaster. It will draw the splinter to the surface. It only works on natural substances so wouldn't work on say metal or glass. You may need to check if its suitable for kids but its always worked for me x

Put the sticky but of a plaster on it, there's something in the glue that draws it out apparently (just asked my mum)

You could try and buy a type of "Draw Salve" from a local chemist - Boots may stock it too? Apply to the top of the skin, wrap in a plaster and leave it for 24 hours. When you remove the plaster, the splinter should be drawn out painlessly :) x

Magnesium sulphate. It's a paste that you apply a few times a day and cover with a sock or plaster. It will draw the splinter to the surface. It only works on natural substances so wouldn't work on say metal or glass. You may need to check if its suitable for kids but its always worked for me x
Thank you, I knew there was something that draws them out but couldn't remember what it was - I'm sure my parents always used one called 'Jump Out' or something like that on us... but probably when we were older. I've just looked on the Boots website and they sell magnesium sulphate paste but it says it's suitable for adults, doesn't mention babies or children - might walk up to the pharmacy tomorrow and speak to the pharmacist :)

Put the sticky but of a plaster on it, there's something in the glue that draws it out apparently (just asked my mum)
Ooo that sounds handy, I might try that in the morning, especially if it turns out the stuff above can't be used on babies :)

You can also use ichthammol ointment to draw the splinter out. Most splinters are harmless and will work their way out by themselves in a few days. Whatever method you chose, just keep an eye on the area for signs of infection.

Thanks guys :) Went to Boots earlier and the pharmacist said magnesium sulphate was fine for him so I got some of that and have put it on his foot and put a plaster over the top as it's horribly sticky stuff - sock on over that to stop him pulling the plaster off, lets just hope he doesn't pull the sock off :lol: Fingers crossed it'll be out in a couple of days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back