Spinal Anaesthesia vs Epidural?

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
Hi guys...

My doctor told me that I shouldn't get an epidural because the needle is too big and would cause back problems for me later in life! I already have a spinal curve and problems associated with that so I have enough trouble.
She recommended spinal anaesthesia instead. Can anyone tell me what the difference is as I have never heard of this method of pain relief?

Informed choices? I dunno....

Sue

After ending up with a c-section i had both the epidural and the spinal!
The epidural tube stays in your back and can be topped up when needed. it usually gives effective pain relief from the waist down. sometimes it can take more on one side so you still may have some feeling in one leg!
The spinal is just one injection into your back and with that you dont feel a thing from just under your ribs downwards (thats what it was like for me anyway!!!) you will need a cathter as you wont feel when to pee, you will have absoloutely no feeling what so ever in your legs and for me that was very frustrating!!

hi

i had a spinal with my 2nd c section and it was exactly how steph said. This time i am having a spinal and once thats in they are inserting the epi incase they need to top it up, their reasoning is that it may take longer to do as it will be my third one and they have to be careful cutting through the scar tissue.

sometimes i wish surgeons wouldnt be so graphic.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back