Sperm

KatysMummy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the hows and whys of why sperm lives for the amount of time it does after BD has taken place, and if there is any way of helping 'prolong' its lifespan in there!?!

I was also wondering if too much BDing is a bad thing, as my books all say different things - some say every day is ok, others disagree.

Can anyone help?

:? :?

Hi again Gary,

I've heard various methods of trying to keep the sperm alive for as long as possible, however I have not tried any of them and will leave this one open to any of the other ladies who have perhaps got something to add about one or more of these methods?

With regard to BD-ing, I too am curently trying to conceive. We have tried both methods (every day, every other day) with no luck so far, and so again I would ask other ladies for their opinions on this? (I'd be glad to hear them too, as I'm sure Emma and Gary would!)

Best wishes,
Laura B

Hello Laura,

You mentioned that you've heard of various methods of keeping the sperm alive for longer, can you possibly let us know what methods you know of?? (we're open to try anything!!!!)

Thanks,

Emma and Gary xx

Hi again,

Well, before I start, I'd just like to say that these are all things that I have read that people say they have tried - I do not recommend, endorse, promote, or otherwise, any of them! But these are just to give you an idea of the sorts of things people do try, from what I have read during my time trying to conceive. Personally I would not try any of these myself because I do not have any conclusive medical evidence about any of them, and I strongly advise anybody thinking about trying them to consult their GP first.

Robitussin - I believe this is a brand of cough medicine (not sure if it's available in the UK but I've seen it mentioned many times by ladies in the USA) - claims vary from it making the fertile fluid 'more friendly' to sperm, it increasing the amount of fertile fluid, thinning the fertile fluid, and thickening the fertile fluid :?

Preseed - apparently a sperm-friendly lubricant, some ladies claim that it helps to look after the sperm so that they live a little longer.

Raw egg-white - yes, the idea sounds terrible, but some women claim to have used this in the hope that it will mimic fertile fluid. I strongly advise that you do not try this method due to the risk of salmonella and related issues - I have included it purely to show what I have read on the internet.

Instead cups - again, I'm not even sure these are available in the UK - I believe their intended purpose is for menstruation (an alternative to the tampon or panty pad), however I have seen ladies mention that they use these after sex to keep the sperm 'in' for as long as possible.

And the usual - lying with your feet high on the wall after BD for 30 minutes, having an orgasm after BD (because apparently the muscle contractions help the sperm to find their way in the right direction) .....

I started typing all of these, but wasn't entirely happy to make the post at all. As I stated above, none of this is my own opinion, it is just what I have read, and I have seen many opinions, good and bad, relating to all of them. However, I thought I would still make the post for the purpose of discussion, as other members may wish to add their own opinions to it.

I would advise that you google any of them, and definitely consult your own GP, before drawing your conclusions.

Best wishes,
Laura B

Hello.
From all the reading and understanding that I've gatherd or done I've come upon this. Sperm can live from anywhere to one second up until 7 days depending upon the enviorment usually with fertile cervical muccous (egg white stretchy) they last about 3-4 days maybe even longer. It all depends on the enviorment and ect. Other contributing factors. As far as bding goes. You can bd every day without a problem as long as your dh or so has a normal sperm count. if his count is on the low side then you should bd everyother day. I hope this helps
Good luck with TTC
Amanda

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back