Sperm test

Charlotte9

Reaction score
Hey girls

My OH has agreed to do sperm analysis.

I'm going to my gp tomorrow. Can I get my OH referral myself or does he need to go to his gp?

Also where do we get the container from? :)

x

Generally you need to go together. Our GPs don't do sperm analysis so we had to go to them to be referred to the fertility clinic to get it done there as part of our fertility investigations. They give you the pot and tell you what date you need to bring it in, or if you can't get there within an hour he will have to give the sample at the hospital. They will also tell you how long he must abstain for beforehand.

Did you get referred only after 12 months trying? Or can this be done sooner? X

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

He will need to go to his GP. My OH had to make an appointment at the hospital to drop it off, could either do sample at home and take it in (has to be kept warm on the way) or could be done at the hospital xx

Last edited:
Thanks girls for reply. I think he would prefer to do it at home. X

My OH was the same. Just make sure he keeps it in a pocket or between his legs on the way to keep it warm and you have to be able to get it there pretty fast. Once he has it done, ask for a print out of results as sometimes they don't give accurate feedback on it xx

Thank you girls for your advice. X

Yes we had been trying for 12 months first. I took my husbands sample in for him as he had to go to work, I took it down my bra! Random. He also needs to do two samples, at least 3 months apart.

I don't know whether you will be able to get it done on the NHS sooner than 12 months unless he has had issues in the past, such as undescended testicles or any kind of operations in the area. You can of course pay privately to get anything done you want.

Thanks snowbee

My OH did not have any issues in the past, we just wanted to check. Guess I need to wait till 12 months. x

My OH is doing one on Tuesday. We've only been trying for 5 months but our gp was very understanding as I have PCOS and we want to know where we stand. Thankfully we live round the corner from the hospital so he can sprint round straight away haha. Not sure how long results take. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back