Speech - is he delayed?

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by Lulu90, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Lulu90

Lulu90 Well-Known Member

Just interested to know what your children are/were saying at my sons age. He's 15 months.

He only really says:
    Mama/mummy/mum
    Dada/daddy/dad
    Nana
    Blair (his uncle)
    Ta

We work daily on saying simple words, for instance:
    Cat
    Dog
    Yes
    No
    Car
    Ball
    Cup
    Bag
    Shoe
    Bed

But he doesn't say any of the above. If I say, for example "Can you go and get your shoes" he knows to go and get them. If I say peoples names, he will point to the right person. If I ask for a kiss or cuddle, he will give them.

Does this sound all normal? I can't help but feel like all the effort I put in is pointless. But maybe I should just chill out and leave him alone? Haha. A lady at stay and play was showing off with her 16 month old daughter yesterday, she knew animals and everything xx

2. lisey

lisey Well-Known Member

I think he sounds at normal stage for his age. I wouldn't pressure him too much, the best thing to do is just talk lots, tell him what you're doing as you're doing them etc and he will pick things up or go through picture book so that it's in a fun way.
    I worked in a playgroup for years and years and although there are exceptions to it I found that girls were often ahead with speech and language so don't worry what others children are doing.
    It's good that he shows understanding of what you're asking, it will all come and then you will be hoping for some peace :) xx

3. Holi

Holi Well-Known Member

He sounds like he's doing really well! My daughter could only really say hiya at that age! But then buy 18m could speak on sentences so she had a dramatic learning jump! Where as my nephew didn't really speak properly til 2.5yrs! Now they are both over 3 and chat away together you wouldn't even know they started so differently!

Don't stress I think it's defo more important that he understands what your saying rather than actually be able to say the words!

4. El1en

El1en Well-Known Member

My little girl is 18m and only just starting to talk. Words she uses are cake, cheese, dog, meg (the dog), milk, bye bye and bugger

She can say mama, dad, Jack (dog) Dan (dog), bear, sheep, juice, bag, clock, bath and a few more but she doesn't actually say them. She says these words to me when prompted but she doesn't actually talk

She loves her animal noises though and chatters to me in babble all day long

Try not to worry your lo sounds normal

5. tinselcat

tinselcat Well-Known Member

My son only said "mama" at 20 months and barely had any words until then. However we've just hit 22 months and we've had a vocabulary explosion in the last month. Your son sounds the same as mine at that age. I've also heard that girls tend to be generally ahead of boys in terms of starting to talk (no ideas if this is actually true)

I wouldn't be at all worried at this stage :)

6. Rooster30

Rooster30 Well-Known Member

I can't remember what my daughter was saying a few months back. At 18 months she says phrases like 'are you okay?' She says 'bye daddy/mummy'. Words she can says are:

Mummy
    Daddy
    (Brothers name)
    (cousins name)
    Peppa Pig
    postman pat
    Grandma
    Thank you
    Please
    Cake
    Apple
    Pear
    Spoon
    Bath
    Hello
    Bye
    Door
    House
    Tree
    Car
    Bus
    Oh dear
    Oh no
    Cat and meow
    Horse and neigh
    Cow and moo
    Book
    Up
    Down
    Wow
    Two
    Six
    Poo
    Nappy
    Bubbles
    Balloon
    Open
    Ready, Steady, Go
    Tumble Tots
    Ne-owwwww (that's her way of saying 'plane')

My son spoke relatively well, by two he was speaking in sentences frequently. I wouldn't worry I'm certain speech progresses more at 18-24 months. One day he'll wake up and tell you lots and lots of things.

#6 Rooster30, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  7. JamsMom

JamsMom Well-Known Member

It sounds fine, all children progress with speech at different rates but if he has a repertoire of speech sounds enough to pronounce the names you've listed then I wouldn't worry too much. :)

8. Eryinera

Eryinera Well-Known Member

Yea sounds normal. my son was a slow starter with speech and needed a speech therapist. when he was supposed to have a vocabulary of 50+ words he had 12. trouble was he was smart! LOL if he said a word and it didn't get him something he never said it again lol his first word was cat he didn't say it again for about 2 yrs lol. We implemented a reward system and now he never shuts up and isvin the top 5 of his class lol. My friends husband didn't speak a single word until he was about 4. nothing. Had so many tests all was fine his sister spoke for him. Then one day at the dinner table completely out the blue he says between mouthfuls "owls are nocturnal" he's now a pilot lol I think he just didn't have anything that needed saying until then lol.

9. Lulu90

Lulu90 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your comments ladies. Really helpful xx

10. Becky1

Becky1 Well-Known Member

My son was referred for to speech therapists at 2.4months, he didn't need it, he suddenly started talking loads. Now a year later he doesn't shut up! xx

11. Belfa

Belfa Well-Known Member

My boy is 17months and the exact same vocabulary as yours. His friends are all girls and way ahead with their speech but he is physically more advanced for sure!x

12. can

can Well-Known Member

Hi my 15 month old doesn't say anything!!! Babbles all the time in sentences but doesn't actually say words!! I'm not worried. He will talk when he is ready