Speech - is he delayed?

Lulu90

Reaction score
Just interested to know what your children are/were saying at my sons age. He's 15 months.

He only really says:
Mama/mummy/mum
Dada/daddy/dad
Nana
Blair (his uncle)
Ta

We work daily on saying simple words, for instance:
Cat
Dog
Yes
No
Car
Ball
Cup
Bag
Shoe
Bed

But he doesn't say any of the above. If I say, for example "Can you go and get your shoes" he knows to go and get them. If I say peoples names, he will point to the right person. If I ask for a kiss or cuddle, he will give them.

Does this sound all normal? I can't help but feel like all the effort I put in is pointless. But maybe I should just chill out and leave him alone? Haha. A lady at stay and play was showing off with her 16 month old daughter yesterday, she knew animals and everything xx

I think he sounds at normal stage for his age. I wouldn't pressure him too much, the best thing to do is just talk lots, tell him what you're doing as you're doing them etc and he will pick things up or go through picture book so that it's in a fun way.
I worked in a playgroup for years and years and although there are exceptions to it I found that girls were often ahead with speech and language so don't worry what others children are doing.
It's good that he shows understanding of what you're asking, it will all come and then you will be hoping for some peace :) xx

He sounds like he's doing really well! My daughter could only really say hiya at that age! But then buy 18m could speak on sentences so she had a dramatic learning jump! Where as my nephew didn't really speak properly til 2.5yrs! Now they are both over 3 and chat away together you wouldn't even know they started so differently!

Don't stress I think it's defo more important that he understands what your saying rather than actually be able to say the words!

My little girl is 18m and only just starting to talk. Words she uses are cake, cheese, dog, meg (the dog), milk, bye bye and bugger

She can say mama, dad, Jack (dog) Dan (dog), bear, sheep, juice, bag, clock, bath and a few more but she doesn't actually say them. She says these words to me when prompted but she doesn't actually talk

She loves her animal noises though and chatters to me in babble all day long

Try not to worry your lo sounds normal

My son only said "mama" at 20 months and barely had any words until then. However we've just hit 22 months and we've had a vocabulary explosion in the last month. Your son sounds the same as mine at that age. I've also heard that girls tend to be generally ahead of boys in terms of starting to talk (no ideas if this is actually true)

I wouldn't be at all worried at this stage :)

I can't remember what my daughter was saying a few months back. At 18 months she says phrases like 'are you okay?' She says 'bye daddy/mummy'. Words she can says are:

Mummy
Daddy
(Brothers name)
(cousins name)
Peppa Pig
postman pat
Grandma
Thank you
Please
Cake
Apple
Pear
Spoon
Bath
Hello
Bye
Door
House
Tree
Car
Bus
Oh dear
Oh no
Cat and meow
Horse and neigh
Cow and moo
Book
Up
Down
Wow
Two
Six
Poo
Nappy
Bubbles
Balloon
Open
Ready, Steady, Go
Tumble Tots
Ne-owwwww (that's her way of saying 'plane')

My son spoke relatively well, by two he was speaking in sentences frequently. I wouldn't worry I'm certain speech progresses more at 18-24 months. One day he'll wake up and tell you lots and lots of things.

Last edited:
It sounds fine, all children progress with speech at different rates but if he has a repertoire of speech sounds enough to pronounce the names you've listed then I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Yea sounds normal. my son was a slow starter with speech and needed a speech therapist. when he was supposed to have a vocabulary of 50+ words he had 12. trouble was he was smart! LOL if he said a word and it didn't get him something he never said it again lol his first word was cat he didn't say it again for about 2 yrs lol. We implemented a reward system and now he never shuts up and isvin the top 5 of his class lol. My friends husband didn't speak a single word until he was about 4. nothing. Had so many tests all was fine his sister spoke for him. Then one day at the dinner table completely out the blue he says between mouthfuls "owls are nocturnal" he's now a pilot lol I think he just didn't have anything that needed saying until then lol.

Thanks for all your comments ladies. Really helpful xx

My son was referred for to speech therapists at 2.4months, he didn't need it, he suddenly started talking loads. Now a year later he doesn't shut up! xx

My boy is 17months and the exact same vocabulary as yours. His friends are all girls and way ahead with their speech but he is physically more advanced for sure!x

Hi my 15 month old doesn't say anything!!! Babbles all the time in sentences but doesn't actually say words!! I'm not worried. He will talk when he is ready

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back