SPD...

BeckyJ

Reaction score
:oops: i keep reading about you girlies being off work with SPD

what is it? :oops:

sorry im a first timer lol

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)by Christine Hill What is the common condition that makes standing on one leg or climbing stairs unbearable for some pregnant women? Christine Hill examines SPD
What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction?
The symphysis pubis is the name given to where two bones meet at the front of the pelvis. The pelvic bone is roughly in the shape of a heart, and is actually formed by three bones, which are held together by very strong ligaments.

The bones meet to form three 'fixed' joints - at the front (the symphysis pubis) and at each side of the bottom of the spine (the sacro-iliac joints).

Normally, these joints are not designed to allow movement. However, when a woman becomes pregnant, a hormone called relaxin is produced which loosens all the pelvic ligaments in order to allow the pelvis slight movement at the time of birth.

For some reason, the ligaments occasionally loosen too much and too early before birth. This means they can't keep the pelvic joints stable so the pelvis moves, especially on weight bearing. All this is made worse by the increased weight of the growing baby and sometimes the symphysis pubis joint actually separates slightly. The result is mild to severe pain, usually in the pubic area, and is called SPD.

What are the symptoms?
The most common is pain and difficulty when walking. Some women describe the feeling of their pelvis coming apart. The pain is made worse when turning in bed or doing something that involves standing on one leg, such as climbing up stairs, getting dressed and getting in and out of a car.

The pain is generally felt in the pubis and/or the sacro-iliac joints, but can also be experienced in the groin, the inner side of the thighs, the hips and in one or both buttocks.

It is very painful beleive me. :cry:

I have only been suffering from this since my due date, but others get it much ealier.

All walking and standing is bringing tears to my eyes and painkillers, warm baths and hot water bottles are not making any difference. :cry:

:shock: sounds awful, you poor girlies suffering xx

i am in soooooo much pain with my spd at the moment!! i have been signed off work since i was 20 weeks!!!!im at the point were i can hardly walk anywere i cant sleep at night its a true nightmare!!

samandbump said:
i am in soooooo much pain with my spd at the moment!! i have been signed off work since i was 20 weeks!!!!im at the point were i can hardly walk anywere i cant sleep at night its a true nightmare!!

Have you been to physio? If so, did they not give you crutches?

I think this may be what I have aswell :( I've had a pain in my groin for about 10/12 weeks and over those weeks it's slowly been getting worse. Even driving is painful..the worst is at night, turning from side to side makes me cry out in pain :(

Yeah Poppy, you should see someone about that and try and get referred. Mine is really bad at the moment. It's horrible :( I have physio on Thursday but I'm not expecting any miracles. :?

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if that's what it may have been cause you girls seem to have been suffering from it for the whole of your pregnancies! I'm seeing the MW for my 28 week appointment on Friday so I'll mention it then.

DebbieM said:
samandbump said:

Have you been to physio? If so, did they not give you crutches?

yep been to physio she didnt seen to think it was that bad, i said i was in agony and she just said see ow you go on!!! :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back