SPD

Layla

Reaction score
Hi guys

Sorry, i know this thread has been made soooooooooo many times now, but i need some advice.

I have been diagonsed with this today while i was at the hospital, the midwife/doctor has refured me for physio and told me off for not getting it checked out sooner as i have trouble walking on my right side.

I know alot of people here have got it or have had it in pregnancy, so i was just wondering what the physio will get me doing and sugest, any ideas on the basic methods??

Also,on the plus side! i got another scan booked for next thursday to check my dates and messure baby to see if he is big, but on the down side, they are testing me for diabeties which means i have to have that yuk treacle drink, i think its a waste of time, i havent got it, but they are still testing anyways, grrr

xx

Pelvic floor excercies! My Physio seems to love them - and they do help.
You can do them even walking around (if obviously your SPD hasn't got that bad that you can't walk around).

Pelvic Floor Excercises
*Tighten up the muscles as if you were trying to stop the flow of urine.
*Hold this for 4 seconds
*Repeat 4 times
*Do this about 6-8 times a day

Pelvic Tilts
*Lie on your back with your knees bent at right angles and your feet flat on the floor.
*Tighten your pelvic floor and press the small of your back down against the floor or bed.
*Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 5 times.

Leg Adductors
*Sit up straight and put your cleanched fists between your knees
*Squeeze in on your fists with your knees
*Hold for 5 seconds
*Repeat 5 times

Hope that helps a bit till you get your appointment Layla. xx[/i]

A few more things they gave me on a list were......

DO NOT...
*Stand for long periods
*Stand on one leg - sit down when gettign dressed
*Go up and down stairs frequently if it can be helped
*Squat
*Carry or lift any weight
*Twist your body

DO.....
*Stand with your feet close together
*Sit upright with support for your back
*Turn in bed and go in/out of bed with knees together
*Your bed should be low if possible
*Put ice packs on pubis (over pubic bone) to help reduce inflamation caused by SPD
*Use pillows in bed to get into the most comfortable position

Can't think of anything else at the moment....

see i find if i stand or walk about lots then it eases, its when i stop that it starts to hurt, if i sit down still for to long, then get up, it kills me, so i walk about loads to ease it.

Squatting i figured out already, i squatted down to get something and couldnt get back up lol

for the do's

i find moving in bed really painful, so i try to get comfy in one postion with my pillows and stay like it till morning

The more you walk around - the more it will hurt when you stop. That's what I found anyway....
Try ice packs or heat on your lower back if you feel the pain there too.

Bloody hell, wish I had seen you instaed Sami, my physio told me nothing, she hadn't come across it before. When I asked what I should/ should not be doing, I got "if it hurts don't do it" (!!!!!). Plus I got a sexy belt to wear. Hope your physio is more help Layla

I have tried finding one comfy position in bed but my bladder won't let me stay there. I always find it worse if I have been lying down, or if I have been walking around. I hate SPD, my midwife today shouldbe telling me whether or not I can still go to the birthing centre or if I have to go to hospital instead which I really don't want as the nearest hospital is where my mum was diagnosed with cancer (in the ward adjoijed to the maternity one) which will bring back bad memories or my other option is about 40 mins drive away. Nasty SPD :evil:

Ah yes the maternity support belt - minging aren't they! It was a blessing for a while, but I find if I wear it too long then I get back ache at the bottom as I have a curved spine and my bum sticks out quite a bit :oops:

I hope you can still go to the birthing centre Beanie. I know that if your SPD is bad - they measure how far apart you can put your legs (attractive image I know) without being in pain - so that when the force and pain of labour takes hold - you dont open you legs/hips wider than that and cause more damage as you cant feel the pain of SPD during labour. It apparently usually means an on your back labour too - which is poo - coz I want an active labour preferably - but again that's only if your SPD is very bad.

My belt is navy to go with all the navy clothes I wear!! Apparently they don't do it in black, I think she thought I was joking when I asked (am such a fashion victim). My midwife phoned up the birthing centre and they have said I can go as long as there are no further complications. I am going there next week to have some reflexology, so am really chuffed :D . I know what you mean about the lying on back situation, I really want an active birth but the idea of squatting is not good!! Will keep my fingers crossed for us all that we get the births we want.

Oh I am pleased for you ... I am hoping for a water birth but I guess that will only happen if I go to term. Not quite sure what the drill would be if I didn't.

I can have one if no-one is in there when I need it, I say I'll just get in with them :D . Hope you have a water birth Sami, not too sure when the limit is for when you can have one but with any luck your little bean will stay in till then x

No I'm not sure on the limit either actually - will have to write that on my list of questions to ask midwife when I see her Wednesday.

HI i too have SPD its so uncomfortable !! My physio wasnt much help either pelvic floor exercises etc. I didnt get a support belt though.

I have also been told to watch how far legs are when i deliver, physio has suggested kneeling up on bed with legs as little apart as i can which beats laying on my back :roll:
My worry is it wont go after delivery, and having had a c section in past that it might be recommeded this time. Will know more when i see consultant at 36 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back