SPD

jamhamster

Reaction score
has neone heard of this 'Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction' or has neone else got it. I have been seeing a physio phyripst for mine and i have to wear a tubby grip type bandage covering my whole bump for extra support, i have found a goos wed site about the porblem for ne one else who has it or might feel they have it, take a look
http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/1152.html

I have it but Milton Keynes hospital is so slow and un-interested in helping patients that I have waited nearly a month for my first appointment :cry: I am in agony everyday and cannot work or walk further than 20mins everyday. It's a joke.

Thanks for the website link hun. Have been on the site before. trying ot ease the pain but to no avail so far! Had it since I was about 10 or 11 weeks and apparently is going to get worse which is not comforting!!

Does physio really help? I am really considering going private for now as my hospital is so bloody uselss and hasn't even got me an appt date yet!!

physio has helped me and you wont nesseserly get worse, it either get's worse and worse or goes up and down thoughout when ur hormone level's go up, i've have also has this since 10-11 week's but once i called my midwife at 18 week's she sor me the next day and sent me straight to phyiso for assesment then i waited just 2 weeks for my 1st appointment then had another 2 weeks later, they'll help you with some exercise's to help support ur pelvis better, and show you how to get up out of bed or car's without causing pain and the best sleeping postion's etc, i also have to wear a support bandage that cover's my whole bump for extra support, let's me know how you get on

Thanks hunnie. I don't know what else can be done with the hossie - I've been reffered twice now and still nothing has changed. I'll just wait until I can't cope no longer.

Hey Jamhamster,

What do they do at physio?

i have my first appointment on sep 13th, which is the earliest she could fit me in as they only have 1 maternity physio in our hospital, that will have been 7 weeks since i made the appointment!!!!
oh well at least i have one, but i was just wondering what they did?

My hips click alot and i can feel them grinding as i walk, it really painful sometimes and cant walk. :(

showed me some exercise's and help e make sure i did them properly, showed me good postion's to sleep in, sit and how to stand properly. and advice about getting in and out of car's that sort of thing

I had physio finally! Had the same things to go through as you - excercieses etc, but felt rotten today so had to keep stoppping! She poke around with ym back and tried to set my pelvis a bit more in line again (which was sore). Feels a tad better now (although sore from moving the joints). ack in 3 weeks and then for the rest of my pregnancy.

Sami, you poor girl. I am also suffering with spd but it doesnt sound as bad as yours. I have been on crutches and had physio. Somedays i feel fine and can do my normal everyday things withuot a problem, then otherdays i cant evan get out of bed, i stop half way up the stairs and think i physcially cant walk anymore-then i have to play around with my hips and wait until it 'goes back'.

All my other pregnancies have gone smoothly...this one has been full of stress,pain and worries! As i have got further on in my pg the pain has got worse but last for shorter periods of time...at a time. I have found that when the pain comes if i get on all fours and put my head in my hands so my bums up in the air, it eases the pain a little for me.

This is probaly no help to you sorry im just babbling on! (i cant sleep)

hehehe Rachel xx

Haha I do that too (the bum in the air thing). OH laughs his head off but it helps! I've put my hip back out of joint or something again or knocked my pelvis back offline coz it feels like ive trapped a nerve in my hip. Wish they would give me cruthes to help :roll: Can barely walk at the mo!

i have been telling my midwife about this problem for ages and she has just told me that its the added pressure on my pelvis, which it obviously isnt and it is killing me i tell her all the time but all she does is brush it off or say its general aches and pains.

if i need to roll over in the night im almost crying with the pain in my hips and it hurts when i sit up or down. i think the only thing i can do now is tell the midwife when im delivering.

any other suggestions?

xxx

I would definately speak to the midwife you have when delivering you. It's not fair that you should of had to have been through this without help. I have heard of some midiwves putting things off because they know physio can take a while to get a first appt for. Mine took over a month and my 2nd appt isnt for another 2 more weeks now.

For now try having warm baths to help the pain (I end up having a few a day to help me) and maybe wering some tights or tubigrip round that area to help. I wouldnt say buy a support band as you are right near the end and it's expensive to wear only for a short while!

I'm really sorry your midwife never listened to you hunnie :( xxx

Well I'm pleased to say (I think!!), I don't have SPD. I popped along to mums physio session last week and she seems to think it's osteoarthrosis. She could hear my left hip and knee were clicking and grating as I walked across the room. :? It's probably caused by skating when I was younger (so much for exercise being good for you), and aggravated by the extra weight. She's hopeful it won't cause any more problems once baby is born, but it will come back as I get older.

Having been through mums SPD exercises, I think I'll stick with those. I've got a nice leaflet with range of motion exercises which I've to do as I'm getting out of bed. Getting out of bed is enough for me at the moment, but I've managed two of them before I collapse back under the covers. Apparantly it should get easier!!!

Tracy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back