SPD advice needed!

flexilexi394

Reaction score
So ladies,

lately I am in pain more time than I am comfortable from the minute I get out of bed to when I go to bed.

I have always suffered a bit of a bad back, I was having sports massage every 3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant then the sickness was so bad I couldn't get it done any more because I couldn't have lay there feeling sick the whole time.

Anyway, now my hips are starting to hurt, and that isn't a normal thing for me. Today I did a lot of extra walking, we never walk to and from school but today we did 20 minutes each way and then I took my dogs for a good 50 minute walk. By the end of that my right hip flexor (the one at the front I think its called the iliopsoas) is very painful and I was literally dragging my leg after the dog walk, and then all day its hurt and it feels like I can't move my leg.

Anyone reckon this could be the start of SPD? and if so, what do i do? I assume I tell my midwife and try and get referred to a physio or something?

Any advice on the topic greatly appreciated, even exercises to improve or anything!

I have such an active life at the moment and still ride my horse and stuff so I just want to try and stay as active as I can especially with a job like mine where I groom dogs so on my feet for the duration I am at work (5 hours a day roughly)

Thanks! xx

I have pgp and that's my hips and back. I went to doctor who has referred me to physio. Xxx

My back has been murder since 12 weeks. It now spasms all of the time and I can't roll over in bed. My hips and groin have now also started to hurt. My MW told me to take codeine. Yay for shit people!

Physio should help, towards the end if needed you can get a bump support belt.

My friends been suffering bad since 12w shes having twins and suffered prev but not as bad. Some peoples get worse and early the more pregnancies.

Take it easy you!!

xxxx

I have SPD and I get pain in my hips and around my right bum cheek. If I walk too much it's hell, but also in bed at night is agony, especially when I try to turn over in bed. Been referred for physio so waiting on appointment for that. In the meantime I bought a body pillow which helps a lot at night as I pop it between my knees and under my bump so it takes most of the weight.

Just thought there too I use my ball alot already which help my hips and back.

Could sit on these at home and do some exercises for stretching etc. May help.

xxxx

Same here with the hips!
It does sound like it could be SPD - the first I knew of it was excruciating groin and hip pain lol
I recommend a pregnancy pillow to support the hips in the right position in bed (bed tends to be when it's the worst for me!). Generally, try to keep your knees together when doing things - like when getting out of a car, swivel round on your bum to get both legs out at once rather than step out, if that makes sense. Try not to sit cross-legged, but straight and symmetrical and well-supported, and when standing, make sure your weight is equally spread across both feet. I had to really get out of the habit of shifting weight onto one foot when standing - I'd go to put the other foot back to the ground properly and it felt like that hip would dislocate!
In bed, I found that it would ease the pain to go on my back for a bit and raise my knees with my feet flat on the mattress, but I was worried about falling asleep like this, as we're always told we should lie on our side... but I asked the midwife, and she suggested that this is ok for napping so long as I prop the upper half of me up on pillows so I'm not flat on my back.
My doc was useless - he looked it up on the internet, printed out what he found and then offered me codeine, which I don't like taking anyway lol
Physio will help, also gentle yoga for pregnancy, but do make sure you consult a yoga trainer about it first, as you have to restrict some of the more legs-apart type poses :)

Last edited:
Thank you ladies - awesome. Kitty oh my god! Why would they tell you to just pop pills?! thats pretty bad isnt it - you want some active help not pill popping!!!

Claire I was going to buy a birthing ball at some point because that worked really well for me last time I was in labour so I will get one to sit on in the evenings or something and develop a bit of core strength. I think I will try and last til my next midwife appointment at 24 weeks, and then speak to the midwife and see if she can refer me to physio if she is allowed. If I can't last til then, I will go and see my doctor instead.

I also am watching my weight - im not massive (14.5 stone) but I am a good 4 stone overweight so I think this can't help, the extra strain on the joints and things isn't going to be helping any so I am just sticking to a healthy eating diet, because ideally I won't put on any weight during this pregnancy so I can keep myself more mobile and lighter to try and help too... I really can't walk very well this evening

I am getting a lot of pain in my hips and pelvis already, especially when lay down. I can't roll over and have no strength in my legs to push myself up. It's horrible. Over last couple of days I have also noticed it starting when I've been walking the dogs.
I had 16 week midwife appointment today and she said if it continues, to see GP who will refer to physio. I am slim and only 16 weeks so all this being caused purely by hormones changing the ligaments etc. I am worried how bad it could get if like this already!
I am paying to see a chiropractor who has experience in pregnancy issues tomorrow. Hoping that helps.

I am over weight tho not massive but like u don't think it helps my hips and back. However I have put on a stone and i'm 26 weeks. I think it's important to just eat when u are hungry and try not to eat crap. I think all people put weight on in pregnancy it's one of those things x

They are fab things. I got mine from sports direct for like a fiver.

Jackson plays with it mind you but i fold the laundry n stuff on it because my couch doesnt seem comfy now. Its too deep n im only 5ft 5.

I was practically living on it towards the end last time. Ate my dinner n everything on it lol.

xxxx

I am also suffering with spd/pgp but mine is also giving me sciatic pain all the way down my right leg. My doctor just gave me a prescription for Co codamol and mw said it was pointless going to the physio I may as well continue seeing the chiropractor. I 1st went 9 days and going again tomorrow and it was such a relief after the first visit as I was in so much pain for 3 days I couldn't sit, stand, lie down on my back or sides without being in complete agony, I am still in pain but it is so much better than it was. Plus my hips and between my legs have really started to ache and cause me to hobble about by the end of the day. So I can fully sympathise and can't wait to be pain free after the birth xx

Thank you ladies, I can't even put a shoe on by standing on one leg any more, I also get the sciatica but that is quite normal for me, I have had sciatica for a looooong time. It is just worse now.

Thank you for all your awesome advice ladies, I will try these things YorksLass! Good thinking with getting out cars and stuff. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back