soooo...Baby is here. now what?

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by SpinSugar, Jun 29, 2013.

1. SpinSugar

SpinSugar Well-Known Member

Yes, I am clueless about what to expect. So I need your help!

Sounds silly but can some of u give me an idea of a typical day with a newborn? I have no idea! I know there wont be a routine but do you just know when baby needs feeding or a nap? what do you do with daytime naps, just hold them till they sleep, put them in their basket etc? do you have to make the room quiet and dark or just let them sleep...

I just have such a vision of coming home from the hosp and me an hubby going - now what??!!

so, what happened in your first few days?

xx

2. Jmc89

Jmc89 Well-Known Member

Haha I know it can all be a bit confusing! We just went with the flow...feed baby when they are wanting fed usually 2 - 3 hrs however can sometimes be after 1.5hours...cuddle them all you like but also put them in their basket our bouncer chair if you have one...lets them get used to it. Try to sleep when they sleep and just get used to each other...my LO is 9 weeks now and we have a nice wee established routine but the first few weeks were just all over the place. You won't be doing anything wrong and remember sometimes baby will just cry...nappy changed, fed and winded however still crying? It happens lol I remember almost having a meltdown one night in the first week as my LO just cried and I didn't know why...if it DOES happen it will pass! And most of all just enjoy:) they grow so fast:(!

xxxx

3. tambo1976

tambo1976 Well-Known Member

Number 1, NEVER make the room quiet and dark for baby to nap otherwise he'll get used to it and wake up at the slightest noise and you'll spend the rest of his younger days tiptoeing and shushing. Carry on your daily business, tv, vac, hairdryer etc. I got that out the way fast because it's important lol. My son sleeps soundly through my music pumping in the house and car because it's been that way since birth and even when I'm holding him if I yell he doesn't bat an eyelid.

You will definitely know when baby is hungry because he will look for a teat, nipple, bottle. He will root around looking for something to suck, cry and try to eat your fingers. Naps are pretty constant in the first few weeks and baby will probably only be awake for an hour or two in every 24. Babies are notoriously boring! Eat, sleep, cry and poop :)

A lot of people will say to put baby down to nap because you'll "spoil" them but my baby rarely leaves my arms, I've been the same with all my children when they were young and none of them were clingy. I just don't believe you can spoil a baby, they want to be hugged and cuddled and we like hugging and cuddling them so parents and babies are the perfect partnership. My son only gets popped in his basket when I'm drinking a hot drink or doing chores, apart from that he is in my arms. They are only tiny for a really short amount of time so enjoy your newborn as much as you can.

Like I said, babies are notoriously boring for at least 8 weeks.

You will surprise yourself by being amazingly intuitive regarding what your baby wants and it won't take long before you are a dab hand at everything :) x

tapatalkin

4. CARNAT22

CARNAT22 Well-Known Member

We had a moment like that. We bought bub home and he slept in his carseat for about an hour when we first got home... We were sat there staring at him lol.

He made up for it by screaming for 7 hours straight that first nigh... It was horrible!!

OH and I were just sat on the bed with this wailing creature and we were both like "WTF" :shock::shock:

Thankfully he wore himself out eventually.

Honestly there is no real preparation for bringing the baby home, you just have to 'live it' and learn as you go along.

Best advice is try to have an open mind and don't have high expectations (for example thinking your baby will sleep soundly in his/her little moses basket all night isn't going to happen!!) Don't make plans and don't have too many visitors...Have lots of cuddles and sleep when baby sleeps.

xxxxxx

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

On the other hand, don't freak out if your baby does sleep well from the very beginning! My lo only ever woke for one feed a night from day one. I was so so worried about her as all you hear is that babies wake up all night screaming etc... So then I freaked out that she would go 4 hours overnight.

Your baby will let you know when they're hungry/tired and just go with the flow!

Deffo agree with keeping up your chores/noise during day naps, and then quiet and dark at bedtime. And I still cuddle my lo to sleep in the day now, I love having her asleep in my arms! Maybe get a sling if you need to get things done x

6. AmyQ

AmyQ Well-Known Member

The hardest thing will be not getting upset when they don't stop crying. I always went for boob first and then checked his nappy, made sure he wasn't too hot or cold and then just cuddled him. Sometimes passing him to someone else to hold will stop them crying - do not be offended by this lol!

You will quickly start to read the signals and please don't forget that every baby is different so what works for one will fail miserably for another.

You will be fine :) xx

7. littlemonkey

littlemonkey Well-Known Member

The first few weeks of my sons life were a blur of feeding, changing nappies, cuddles and either watching telly or sleeping while he slept. I spent nearly every day in pjs! Don't expect to do too much. Even now at 3 months I consider the day a success if we're both dressed and fed the correct amount of times at the end of it! I do get out and get bits done at home most days but I consider these a bonus! You will know when they want something cos they will cry and even then it will take time to work out what each cry means. Just don't expect perfection or your life to be what it once was and you'll be fine.

8. clairebear22

clairebear22 Well-Known Member

I do agree with the noise thing but Harry is a naturally very light sleeper, he can hear a pin drop and wake up. Jack will sleep through most noises though.

I agree with Tambo, babies are boring at first lol

The first few weeks will be a blur and you'll probably wing it until you learn baby's cues, just enjoy having them so tiny because it doesn't last long! x

9. SpinSugar

SpinSugar Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your replies. You've really helped put my mind at rest :)

Xx