some questions for those with an (almost) 3 year old

Kay Kay

Reaction score
Just curious really, who else still uses their big buggy? We have an uppababy vista that we've been using since birth and still use from time to time if out and about. We have a stroller that we use on holiday but it mainly stays at my mums for when she watches him. My lo will be 3 soon and still fits in to the vista easily but I sometimes wonder if it looks a bit odd for him to be in it? Is he too old for it now? Daft question really but just wondering what folks thoughts are.

We don't use it much but if I'm going shopping (not supermarket cos he goes in the trolley) I need to keep him contained or he will run off. He's not one to walk quietly beside me holding my hand! Or if we are going for a big walk we will use it.

We also still use the chair bit of his high chair (not the tray). We push him up to the table so it's the perfect height. If we eat out he sometimes sits in a high chair but mainly kneels on a normal chair (for five seconds then jumps off and runs about!!). My mum said the other day maybe it's time to get rid of his high chair and it set me thinking. What does everyone else use?

Thanks xx

My boy turned 2 in April and I haven't used his pushchair since Christmas. I have him on reigns so he cant run off lol.

He has never been a fan of his highchair, I gave up with it in July last year. got him a little table & chair from ikea which he much prefers. If i put him in a highchair in a restaurant he would scream blue murder, we tend to as for a booth so I can trap him in hah.

At only 2 he is so independent, which is good in some ways and not in others x

I was coming on today to ask this same question! Just bought a cheapish stroller (for next baby really) but as we are going on holiday in a few weeks I was going to take it with us incase dd gets tired whilst we are out exploring the town etc. Then I wondered if she's too old now? She's 3 and a few months. But if she gets tired surely it's better to pop her in a stroller to keep the sun out and let her sleep/rest? I also have a bugaboo cameleon and I use that still if we are shopping around town because she has a tendency to want to go her own way. X this probably doesn't help at all does it lol sorry x

We stopped using the pram at about two and a half. We had our youngest when he was two so he had to get out the pram then, we had a double we used for a while, mainly while I got used to going out with the two of them on my own, but my youngest hated it so I just started using the single with eldest walking.

I've got him trained now not to run off if it's busy or we're out, he has to hold my hand or hold onto the pram. Honestly I probably would have kept using the pram longer with him if he was an only child. I can see myself keeping the pushchair longer for our youngest.

We kept using the highchair we had for a while longer mainly cos we didn't have enough proper seats, we only had a breakfast table and stools. Now we've got a new table, he's sitting up at it with us.

We stopped at 2 1/2 too due to his baby sister arriving. He now uses his balance bike around the village, if we are shopping he walks.

he has been in his booster seat (and out of highchair) since 12 months of age in a desperate attempt to improve his eating (didn't work).

Last edited:
When we moved to our new house which is upstairs Jackson was 2.8 years old - we just stopped using the stroller as we wanted him to start to get up n down stairs aided ofcourse.

With the new baby, we will use our travel system until I go back to work then opt for the stroller again.

Jackson at first was a bit slow here n there, but now he doesnt even ask or get tired much.

There have been times on the very rare occasion in the bad rain or snow Ive used it, mainly as walking a child through that can be awful, plus they are kept snug in the buggy.

xxxx

The last time my lo used her pushchair was last September she was 3 years and 4 months. Used it on holiday at night time and for the airport. Was a God send on holiday she wanted to sleep at 830 pm and we weren't restricted to the room. Used it a few weeks later at lego land. Come Christmas she told us father Christmas had taken it so we went with that

Rosie doesn't go in the big buggy and we stopped around xmas time - mainly because we needed it for next baby and we wanted her to get use to walking more and not see it as 'her pushchair' - if we hadn't had dd2 I would still use it! Not all the time just for long distances! Where we live we always have to drive to places so our walks don't tend to be that far as I've normally parked centrally!

Highchair wise we put ours in attic around xmas time also and went to a booster seat on our chair. When out and about we try and get away with her just sitting on a big chair buy we still use highchairs when she's having meals and she seems too low to eat her meal comfortably! Luckily she's still tiny so she fits highchairs fine!

You just keep doing what works best for you! X

We only use highchairs out and about - its easy to keep him contained, plus for height it seems best.

Although at home hes had his own little table since he was 2. He gets it out himself before dinner :p

xxxx

I couldn't live without my stroller but then I don't drive and live near bus routes and busy main roads so I find it safer and easier to have the stroller, I do let him walk besides it on occasion...

If you think the high chair becomes a bit too childish maybe get a Hauck chair (Stokke is so expensive but they do them too).

They tend to be advertised as high chairs but I never found them comfy for a little child cause I'm in love with them type of chairs. My little boy just has a little table with a chair without straps because we don't have a dining table but that's deffo what I would get if I would as like a follow on chair that will last a couple of years x

Thanks girls, interesting to read what everyone does. My wee one is very confident and capable walking (obviously) and climbing stairs etc but does get tired and as I said I can't trust him not to run off. I've been trying to 'train' him not to do this for the past almost 2 years but to no avail! He's just a bundle of energy and thinks everything's a big laugh esp pissin off mum!!

I would love a little table and chairs but we have no space for one!

Tootie I would defo take a stroller away with you on hols. We've just went to alton towers with our lo and friends and their 3 and a half year old and they were both in strollers. It is a godsend to have somewhere for them to sit and get pushed around. Would quite like if someone would push me around sometimes lol!

I was coming on today to ask this same question! Just bought a cheapish stroller (for next baby really) but as we are going on holiday in a few weeks I was going to take it with us incase dd gets tired whilst we are out exploring the town etc. Then I wondered if she's too old now? She's 3 and a few months. But if she gets tired surely it's better to pop her in a stroller to keep the sun out and let her sleep/rest? I also have a bugaboo cameleon and I use that still if we are shopping around town because she has a tendency to want to go her own way. X this probably doesn't help at all does it lol sorry x
I would take a stroller on holiday as the heat knocks kids out so if they fall asleep, you don't need to worry about lying them down somewhere x

Ahh Jackson used to run, but I think the more he got left out the stroller he kind of runs a wee bit ahead now but stops and looks back. He stops at lights now and knows green man means go, red means wait - but thats only came through training him. My heart is still in my chest if he approchoaches a road to fast. Perhaps some reigns might help?

The booster seats that go on to our dinning seats are really good, or the chairs that screw onto the table - we had a chicco one that screwed on to the breakfast bar in our old flat.

xxxx

I can't remember the last time I used the buggy with my youngest but he likes to follow his big brother so he doesn't like being in the buggy now. I think it was about 6 months ago we last used it. As for a high chair we've been using a booster seat for about a year. It all depends really what works for you though x

I use our stroller a lot (we had an icandy before and josh outgrew that way too quickly). We walk a lot, if we walk into town it's a 2 mile round trip plus him running round the park and there's no way he could manage all that. I use a sling for ds2 so find the stroller useful to pop him in if we stop for coffee or lunch.

We have an oxo sprout highchair that has now been converted to what is a higher chair and its perfect as our table is quite high. Josh sometimes asks to sit in highchairs when we go out, it's great as then he's contained!! xxx

James went onto a sitty down buggy board when Bee was born when he was 26m. He hasn't been in a pram since. Although he was on the buggy board for 6m.

He now scoots everywhere!!!

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Only read the 1st post..

Hey hun! As u know Noahs the same age!

We stopped using our pram when he was about 14ms old. He simply out grew it! It was the silvercross surf and his feet went beyond the base so looked silly lol!
I still have my stroller which depending where im going he will still go in.
He does like to walk, but still also gets tired and me being preg theres no hope in hell im carried him about! So ill take it with me.

Im due any day now so ive got the choice of Noah in stroller and Charlie in sling. Or using thr surf again for Charlie and Noah on a buggy board which im yet to try him on! (Not forgetting a weost strap to tie him down cos i bet hell end up running away lol)

We stopped using the highchair not long after he turned 1 aswell tbh! It folded nice but open it was huge and didnt for nice against our table. So i found he was being fed in the middle Of the room!
We swapped it for the purple munchkin seat to go on our dining chair.
He would be strapped in for many months. But now he just hops up and will sit there till hes finished.

Resturants hes a lil bugger for though, we dnt use the highchair cos hes too big but he alao runs off after a few mins lol!
Ive tried the whole crayons or even yourube to try and make him sit still. But typical boy, hes off lol!!!! Xx

Emily was out her big pram just after 18 months and refused to go in her stroller from about 20-22 months. She walks everywhere and only the odd occasion asks to be carried. We are going to Florida next November when she will be 4.5 and Joe will be 2.5 and I will definitely be getting a double stroller as even I get tired walking round the theme parks all day!

She was out her highchair about the same time as she was too big. She just sits on the normal chairs at home and restaurants for eating xx

We have a cheaper stroller for days out when he gets tired ( 3 in July) or if i want to get round the shops quickly, other than that he walks everywhere.

We have the munchkin booster travel seat we use at the table. We take it out and about with us if we need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back