Solids

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Hi

So Jackson has been on purees for a month now. As he turned 6m I have been giving him mashed veggies, weatabix, yoghurt but I've noticed with the veg & weatabix he sometimes gags.

He's got two teeth and picks everything up and tries to chew it so he knows what to do, does it just mean he doesn't like it, is he lazy ? Or is he just not ready for things like mashed veg etc ?

xxxxx

Have you tried him on any fingers foods at all?

He might prefer the not mashed up version.

Broccoli is a good starting point, also butternut squash but you can use: carrot batons (steamed or raw), raw peppers, cucumber sticks, steamed cauliflower florets, steamed mini corns,steamed mini courgettes [or a large one cut down into sticks].. These are what I started James on.

Babies sometimes like to handle / play with the food and then they'll eat it themselves and figure out what to do.

xxxx

Last edited:
^^^wss - have a look at BLW, basically you miss out the purée stage and go straight to finger foods. It's not for everyone, and it can be messy.

But babies are actually LESS likely to gag on finger foods than purée cos they are in control of what goes in their mouth, as opposed to a parent trying to spoon feed who can go past their natural gag reflex.

He's not gagging on the puree he has organic puree pouches he has that fine. Eats yoghurt fine I gave him a strawberry the other day and sat and watched him and he bit it and sooked it lol so he does know what to do, the mashed veg is just mashed which was what my weaning book says to start on its not puree veg iukwim ?

I steamed brocolli & carrots he hated it lol but it was just roughly mashed ill try giving him them whole.

I don't mind the mess or anything purees was just to get him used to diff tastes but now I'm moving on to more textured stuff he's not fussed I just thought he didn't like it ?

I will try not mashing tmoz thanks girls xxxxx

Maybe he's not ready for more lumpier texture? He might prefer the purée smooth, stage 2 (textured purée) is from 7 months if you go by jars/pouches.

We tried BLW and it was a disaster! I couldn't feed M as I was terrified everything so we went straight into lumpy purée and haven't looked back. M feeds herself with a spoon so puts the spoon in as far or as little as she wants :)

Certainly try him with the whole foods might be why he wants :)

Avocado is a good one as its nice and soft so easy to handle in the mouth.

Weaning is great fun!

I was just confused if the gagging was he wasn't ready or didn't like it but I did persivere I thought he was at it then I thought I can't keep feeding him watching him gag!

Weatabix is practically mush and he gags with that ? LOL.

xxxxx

Hi Hun, Harry is a year old now and still gags! He was eating a ham sandwich and put a bit too much in his mouth! I would keep going with what you're doing I'm sure he loves it! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back