Social distancing thoughts

_riley_86

Reaction score
Hey,
Im due in about 7 weeks, my first pregnancy.
I was wondering on peoples thoughts, stroies and opinions on social distencing.
With the s.d at 1meter...it is still impossible to maintain that whilst holding a newborn... so for non household members.. that means no cuddles or even getting to close.
How strict or relaxed have you all been about social distencing...how did you break it to your family and friends that they wouldnt be able to have cuddles??
How anxious has it made you??
Ive still gotta get this baby out into the world...but yet im stressing about having to tell the mother in law that she wont be able to hold her grandchild!!
Any stories any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I haven’t broken it. My husband and I have followed every rule since they first came into being in March. Of course, my baby is still months away from birth but we’ve been very careful in regards to my pregnancy.

My advice would be to keep following the rules. So, no hugs and keeping one metre apart with protection (e.g mask) or two metres apart without. Your baby’s safety is worth more than worrying about your mother in law’s reaction and she should respect that :)

It depends who is in your bubble. My niece was born in lockdown and have only just started holding her the last few weeks, specially as we have been helping my sister out more as her husband is back to work and she has 2 other boys.

I think its up to you and what you're comfortable with. We have been super strict all the way through, barely been anywhere, and neither have both our parents. I'm due in 11 weeks and don't plan on banning our parents from seeing or holding the baby - I trust them fully and depending on the situation closer to the time will ask them to isolate or distance as much as possible before meeting baby. Usual stuff will apply like no kissing the baby, hand washing, maybe face coverings. I cannot bear the thought of my parents not meeting their newborn first grandchild, as long as I'm happy they are well, they won't be made to stay away x

My niece was born in January and only grandparents are allowed to hold her. Everyone understands.

Im a furloughed chef and my partner is a Gardner he works by himself...apart from a few friends that we meet up with outside..our bubble is tiny!
...The mother in law works in a coffee shop and she looks after my two nieces afew days a week..both are in different schools and also go to there other grandparents house once a week. Shes terrible at keeping her distence. Her bubble is quite big...and for that reason.. im gunna stick to my guns and say no baby holding. Its her 5th granchild...
Where as my mum..who is 5hours away... has told me she wont be holding her first born granchild as she will be travelling down on the train!
Im gunna stick with no baby holds. For anyone. We live in a touristy part of devon..i just dont trust it enough.

I have special event taken place for my daughter few days after my due date. School has organised it for this date after getting cancelled cos off covid..
I'm dreading it as if baby is here I will have everyone wanting to coo over baby. And I will be chasing them all away with a big stick.
We will be having 12 adults 6kids.
We will have to attend a mass with all the other kids and families with social distancing and then our family will head for fotos. Our siblings/coursins will meet us for meal to celebrate.
Other than this I want no visitors at home calling.
Its stressing me out though.

I have special event taken place for my daughter few days after my due date. School has organised it for this date after getting cancelled cos off covid..
I'm dreading it as if baby is here I will have everyone wanting to coo over baby. And I will be chasing them all away with a big stick.
We will be having 12 adults 6kids.
We will have to attend a mass with all the other kids and families with social distancing and then our family will head for fotos. Our siblings/coursins will meet us for meal to celebrate.
Other than this I want no visitors at home calling.
Its stressing me out though.

Gosh that sounds horrible :/ I was nervous enough with the ten people at my brother's wedding. I can't imagine so many families all in one space.

Last edited:
Not an ideal situation at all and not how I was planning first fee days with a newborn for sure. Its just my luck that the day chosen is so close to due date.
I did say tonight that maybe we could just have ourselves and grandparents but we were invited to cousins special days too and she really wants them there.
Covid has already robbed her off so much Lately and really is taken its toll mentally we are just going to go with it and give her the best day we can

All my close relatives will be holding babies. Friends I’ll be waiting a while but anyone who is holding baby will be told to wash hands and no kissing.

I’m not sure what we’ll do. My mother in law is basically in isolation because she is high risk so she’d be ok but my parents are terrible at keeping social distancing and taking it al seriously. They’ve twice come to see my other children just after birth and theN selfishly coughed all over them and given them a cold. So I think they are basically out the question. Then my husbands other family all work in key worker jobs so exposed to many many people a day and my brother and his wife and kids are a bit blasé about the whole thing so have a big bubble too. So I think that rules all of them out.

I just find it all quite difficult because basically you are judging your whole family and I think some of them will definitely take offence to our perception of their level of ‘safeness’. I’ve considered going with an initial two week ban on the basis that having been in hospital we present a risk to everyone else and then deciding where to go from there x

I’m not sure what we’ll do. My mother in law is basically in isolation because she is high risk so she’d be ok but my parents are terrible at keeping social distancing and taking it al seriously. They’ve twice come to see my other children just after birth and theN selfishly coughed all over them and given them a cold. So I think they are basically out the question. Then my husbands other family all work in key worker jobs so exposed to many many people a day and my brother and his wife and kids are a bit blasé about the whole thing so have a big bubble too. So I think that rules all of them out.

I just find it all quite difficult because basically you are judging your whole family and I think some of them will definitely take offence to our perception of their level of ‘safeness’. I’ve considered going with an initial two week ban on the basis that having been in hospital we present a risk to everyone else and then deciding where to go from there x

Let your midwife be the bad guy ;) . Just tell everyone that the hospital gave you very strict instructions not to let anyone visit for (timeframe). Then you can play dumb and pretend you are just following someone elses rules.

My cousin recently had a baby and had a blanket rule that no one could hold the baby until it was 6 weeks old and had his first shots. Everyone respected it.

I'm not sure what I will do but I think I will only want my Mum around for the first couple of weeks. I think passing around a little baby right now to all my family members etc will honestly just be uncomfortable and distressing.

Yes I agree, I feel like it’s all going to be a bit awkward and distressing. My mum drives me nuts so fortunately can use this as an excuse to keep her away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back