So what exactly is okay to eat?!!

Smileygirl

Reaction score
I've seen so much conflicting information online and only got my bfp the other day, so it's all a bit new and unfamiliar!

Yesterday, I needed to grab something for lunch and quickly googled whilst standing starving hungry in the middle of the street what may/may not be okay (I usually grab sushi and figured that would probably 'not' be okay!)

Anyway, this Australian website seemed VERY limiting!! No ham, no pre-cooked cold chicken, no shop bought ready-to eat salads, no bags of pre-washed lettuce (unless you wash it again) - honestly, I was like, what AM I supposed to have?

In the end, I went to Leon and grabbed a sweet potato falafel box which ironically turned out to be served luke warm with reheated rice, freshly made 'slaw' (mayo) and then extra mayo dolloped on top (which I then wondered if it was fresh mayo or out of a jar!!) - I'm sure the writers of that website would have had a fit!! (It was yummy though!)

I want to be sensible but don't want to go over the top. What guidelines are you all sticking to?

xx

For me...
No sushi(this is really hard)
No runny eggs
No salami etc
And only mayo out of jar!

I normally eat grab sushi for my lunch, now I can't lol. Xx

For me...
No sushi(this is really hard)
No runny eggs
No salami etc
And only mayo out of jar!

I normally eat grab sushi for my lunch, now I can't lol. Xx

As above - I just go with the NHS guidelines and don't use Google. It's not your friend in this case! :)

Does that mean I can have a Mcdonalds milkshake? ;-)

Thank you, I think I shall stick to the nhs website! After all, their guidelines take into account the food standards of food in this country and what may or may not be safe. You're right, google definitely is not your friend in this instance!!

Soph ive had loads of maccy ds milkshakes with milkshake being my craving from day 1!!
Also ive had mc flurries :) and a mr whippy from the icecream van the other weekend!

Regarding sushi, the shop bought ones should be ok cos nothing is really raw! Ones with cooked prawns or tuna in woth the rice is ok.
But completely up to u!

Ive had prawns a good few times.

Ive avoided patè, runny eggs... Umm n obv the basic like undercooked meat, etc.

But dont over think it girls! I rememer googling about basil!? And i shit myself thinking omg ive put to much in my spag bol lol!
Google is evil!! Xx

omg it's ridiculous honestly! i got told to avoid literally everything!! bu i just stay away from runny eggs (lion stamped is ok!!!), shell food, some sea food (oily fish is good once a week!), mixed meats - and i always check that meet is cooked right, pate! i even got told, AFTER I BOUGHT IT, that you can't have milkshakes from mcdonalds or anywhere because of they way its processed?!?!
aslong as we're not eating raw meat or anything raw, then we'll be fine!! :p xxx

They say about maccy ds milkshakes and icecream because of the machine..
We dont know how clean machine is eat day an how often it gets cleaned properly. If old milk is left in there thats where the 'AVOID' is recommended.
But tbh its really up to you!

Im still slurpin away! Ive had a few this week and im addicted to frappachinos in maccy ds and starbucks! X

I had a maccies chic milkshake and mcflurry the other day! Didn't know that I wasn't allowed it :( also runny eggs are fine aslong as they are lion stamped x

McDonalds milkshakes mc flurrys etc are fine as the machines are thoroughly cleaned and checked daily. They are extremely strict with their food hygiene...not so sure about the ice cream vans though, but I still eat them. But then I drink milk till it goes lumpy so I'm not a good example.

All I have avoided is pate & liver ie foods high in vit A as that is a proven risk. I've eaten everything else pretty much!

Use a bit of common sense and the NHS guidance and you will be fine hun

Xx

anyone had eskimoo milkshakes?! they are my craving at the moment! oreo one - yummmmmmmmm! xxx

When I first found out I was pregnant I was same didn't know what to eat, looked on google and If you listen to google you wouldn't be able to eat anything lol, but I soon realised now to worry and you can eat pretty much anything apart from the obvious that other have mentioned so just enjoy :)))) xx

So I have avoided. Out of date food even if smells or seems fine I am not risking it. Raw meats like pepperami and salami unless cooked on pizza, soft cheese like brie unless cooked in something like a pie, avoid undercooked meat so always well cooked steak, iv also avoided pates and alcohol liver and sea food except well cooked stuff like breaded scampi or salmon tuna etc etc, I also have avoided runny eggs unless lion stamped home cooked. I wouldn't fuss too much over what you eat but be sensible wash salad and veg and fruit first, and try and eat stuff you cook or do up yourself saves the penny's and means ur able to know exactly what's in it that said I went thru a massive pat h where I wanted egg fried rice loads n had to limit myself as didn't think it was a healthy craving to have LOL x

Does anyone know where we should stand with tea? I usually drink peppermint, camomile or jasmine and as its herbal I figured it wouldn't be a problem, I mean it's tea, right? Then I read that you should avoid herbal tea!! Is this true? Anyone know why?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where we should stand with tea? I usually drink peppermint, camomile or jasmine and as its herbal I figured it wouldn't be a problem, I mean it's tea, right? Then I read that you should avoid herbal tea!! Is this true? Anyone know why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back