So close with breastfeeding ...

tweetyfoo

Reaction score
So I've been exclusively expressing with Aaron since day dot and bottle feeding him. In the beginning he wasn't interested in the breast at all and was far too sleepy to do it.

After being readmitted to
Hospital, with him
Being in the incubator and stuff I decided not to stress myself out trying to breastfeed him before every feed.

A couple of nights ago we decided to start trying again, and he's making such good progress, he is trying so hard but just isn't latching on properly

The problem seems to be his tongue, it's getting in his way, putting it above the nipple rather than under it, making him unable to suck.

Just wondering if anyone had this trouble also and if/how they overcame it?

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

Have they checked him for tongue tie tweety? Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah he doesn't have it x

Tapatalk madness!

Not experience with that exact problem, but have you tried shields to help with his latch??? X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I wondered about this, but wasn't sure if it would help? Would they be more like a teat? I.e solid and maybe keep his tongue down?

Tapatalk madness!

Not experience with that exact problem, but have you tried shields to help with his latch??? X

I only managed to breastfeed successfully on two occasions, one for only a few minutes, and one for twenty minutes, then was basically advised to call it a day because it was too stressful. But because Alyssa had been so used to the bottle teats, I thought this might be an issue with going back to the breast when I did try it, maybe because she was used to the rubber rather than the skin and it confused her. So I bought Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Nipple Shields. The exact same shape and texture as her TTCTN bottle teats, so I think it helped the transition. She was much more receptive that way, but sadly I just wasn't successful with the breastfeeding.

I would definitely recommend the nipple shields though, I know that's not what they're designed for, but I thought it was a good idea to help the wee one feel comfortable on the breast xx

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/nipple_shields/

Last edited:
I've mentioned nipple shields to the mw she didn't seem impressed.

They want me to keep persevering with the breastfeeding as they think he will do it, and at the minute it's not stressing me so I'll keep going, of after 6 weeks he hasn't got it I might try the nipple shields

Tapatalk madness!

I think you're doing the right thing just keeping on persevering. Has anyone come out to help you with your latch maybe someone from breastfeeding support?

When Lewis was in NICU he had every teat under the sun including some bottles and a dummy I'd brought in from home.

When he came home a week later it was really hard trying to get him to just stick to the breast in the end I was a bit mean only gave him the bottle as a last resort at night and in the end he gave that up as well and hasn't had one since. It was really difficult to stop myself giving the bottle and just putting him back on and back on the breast switching from one side to the next and so on, distracting him a little bit inbetween if necessary, but it paid off.

I'm still in hospital and try are helping me every time. They say I just have to keep trying him till he learns to put his tongue down.

He's great with his bottle, and doesn't have a dummy (I've been advised by his therapist not to give him
One)

Tapatalk madness!

Our hospital completely missedCassius' Tounge tie and refused to snip it after a NCT BFing counsellor had referred us so we went private.

We have battled for seven weeks and I have been expressing day and night. Its been so emotionally draining but finally I think it is paying off we have managed BFing for three days now with breast shields. He had a blip tonight and I had to get a bottle if expressed milk out but I am hoping and praying it's a one off. I am using Madela ones and I genuinely thing they are the best type. I think some MWs are reluctant to promote them because they used to interfere with supply.

Just remember to stop and take stock of what an amazing job you are doing Hun. I know how hard expressing constantly is.

Xx

So last night one of the nurses suggested a nipple shield :wall2:

Everyone gives you different advice it's so confusing! They don't acknowledge that all babies are different and therefore 1 size doesn't fit all.

It's widely acknowledged that DS babies have trouble feeding, so the fact that he's trying to breastfeed is a big thing.

Surely breast feeding with a nipple shield
For the next 6 months will
Be easier than expressing and bottle
Feeding?

Tapatalk madness!

My mom had suggested to try to stick my pinky in my lo's mouth at the same time as my nipple to get her to suck properly then sneak the pinky out if that makes sense. It may get his tongue in the proper place. Good luck!

Oooh might try that ... Sounds like a logistical nightmare though .. Lol!

Tapatalk madness!

If you think the nipple shields will help then why not give them a go? Anythings worth a shot right?

Cam was in NNU and we had a new staff member morning and evening and each one told us to try something different. It was sooo frustrating!!

XX

Trust me Hun, I was expressing from day three up to 7 weeks, now I am using shields and my life is so much easier.

Old school MWs are anti nipple shields because the old style used to interfere with supply. The new shields work fine and have been a life saver xx

Sorry hun just got back to this - shields helped my LO latch then at 4 months she learned to do it 'right' (I think she has a lip tie) They get a lot of bad press as it can be a slightly different suck from just breast - so a baby who is used to just breast may not get as much using them so mums supply can drop if suddenly introduced - but if like me you use them all the time baby gets proficient at it! X

That sounds fab Lorna, I'm hopefully gettin home soon and I'm going to get some.

My argument is that surely bf with shields is better than not doing it at all? And has to be easier than expressing and bottle feeding?

I was told that they can interfere with supply though and I would have to
Continue expressing to keep
My supply up?

Tapatalk madness!

What shields would you recommend?

Tapatalk madness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back