So anyone interested in eating the placenta?!

newbump

Reaction score
Ok, I dont know if you all know, Im sure you do, but apprently the best thing for you is to cook and eat the placenta :shock: Sorry but maybe its just because im a veggie anyway, but I dont think i could think of anything worse to eat!!!!

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts on this were :D

Natalie x

Hmmm, think I might give that one a miss. Especially as I read that at about 36-38 weeks the placenta matures and starts to disintergrate which is why they do't let you go over 42 weeks. I saw a naming ceremony on tv a couple of years back and they served palcenta to their guests. Might try that with mine :lol:

I'm not a veggie but I just don't fancy the idea of eating something that has been inside me for so long (though as my friend has just reminded me they probably serve worse things in hotdogs and burgers)

I don't want to look at it let alone eat it!!

As a veggie I do find myself wondering if it would technically count though since it is my own if you see what I mean! No animals hurt in the process other than me!! Also does it count as cannibalism or is it the same as chewing your fingernails? Hmmm....I think too much!

+++

This is a big debate in our house at the moment!!

I have no interest at all in eating the placenta but because I am having a home birth I don't like the idea of putting it out for the dustbin men!!

If I was in hospital it wouldn't even cross my mind as it would all just be disposed of with everything else, however, I don't like the idea of my placenta ending up on a land fill site!!

So, I am thinking maybe I will keep it and bury it in the garden under a rose bush or something and get a rose with a name that is connected to the baby in some way. I have read that they make very good food for plants and tree's.

Still think I am slightly barmy as I would never have dreamt of doing anything like this but I am quite liking the idea now!!

I think that's agreat idea Kerry. I undersatnd where you are coming from with the dustbin thing. Rosebay, you've got me pondering now whether or not eating the palcenta is the same as biting your nails, or is it cannabilism. My OH is going with the cannabilism theory, but that's what kind of mind he's got :) . I am now stopping biting my nails x

if u do plant it in ur garden... you must wait a year before you put the plant on top of it.. or it will kill the plant... its has tooo much nutrients.. well thats what i read... wud not like u too plant a special rose and have it die on you

Thanks for that!! Need to do more reading about others who have done it!! Will check that out - thanks xx

Have found a great website with some ideas for your placenta (Kerry it has advice on planting your palcenta) plus some recipes. Anyone for placenta pizza?? As long as they don't put anchovies on - I hate them xx

(I apologise if this is not to everyone's taste, its not gory but I understand that some people may not like the thought of eating the placenta so I don't want to cause any offence to anyone)
http://www.geocities.com/virtualbirth/placenta.html

LOL - great website Beanie.

Not for me though - eeek - can't bear to think about it!!

LBxx

Hello girls!!!

Just to let you know I read your posts about the placenta yesterday and I had a weird dream about it last night!!! I was giving birth and everything went ok. Then when I left the hospital, I suddenly felt the placenta falling into my trousers and I was on my way to catch the bus, so I had to pick it up and walked back to the hospital with it :roll:

Weird how just reading some posts can influence your dreams that much :? :wink:

LOL :lol:

Thanks for the website link - very informative but doesn't say anything about waiting a year before planting. I found other web sites too that don't mention waiting a year so need to look into that a bit more!!

this is where i read about placenta killing any plant :

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/placentas/a/placenta.htm

A year later a tree or flower is then planted in the same spot to allow the placenta to nourish its growth. The reason that you would wait this year is that a placenta is so nutrient rich that it would kill anything planted before that period.

hope this helps

love elaine

Watched 'Home birth diaries' in the peak of my morning sickness where a woman, her doula and husband made placenta pate and all three of them ate it. I wasn't well for quite a while afterwards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

eww no way! lol apparently its mena taste like liver...not my thing tho

ok i'm just "sneaking" in here from 2nd trimester forum (where i belong!)

i can see why it might be beneficial to eat the placenta, as it is so rich in nutrients, however i think i'd rather take a vitamin supplement!!! i can't think of anything worse to eat to be honest, thw thought of it makes my stomach churn! mmmmmm.... roast placenta with yorkshire pud and all the trimmings.... :shock: nope. not for me!

Don't worry petchy, I am always sneaking in to the third trimester :oops:

I always pop in to see if I can help with questions people have, especially first time Mum's seeing as helping people have babies is my job and I have two already so I guess that makes me an old hand at all this now!! :wink:

I'm naughty too - always sneaking in here. Am just too impatient, am 26 weeks on Wednesday so just getting myself prepared xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back