smoking while pregnant *may cause some bad reactions*

Status
Not open for further replies.

personally i dislike smoking full stop , but smoking while you are pregnant is disgusting.

example of this is that when elaine was in hospital having her induction there were many other women having the same , whenever i went outside for some air , their would be rows of 9 month pregnant women smoking and the worst was most of them chain smoking rollies one after the other outside the front entrance where you have to wait with your newborn baby to get picked up to go home. :evil:

suppose this is just a rant but it makes me so angry everytime i see a pregnant women smoking , especially those in early stages of labour.

Hi Dan

I agree with what you say whole heartedly. i work in a hospital and it sickens me when i have to walk past all the pregnant women smoking. My hubby also agrees with you and looks at women with distain when he sees them smoking in town whilst being pregnant or pushing their babies in prams with a cigarette hanging out their mouth, or in a car with their babies in car seats at the back.

i think you would be able to tell that i am anti smoking having lost my step dad to lung cancer just over 3 years ago.

Ps Alana is gorgeous. congratulations

very well said daddy!

I got to admit, i smoked before i was pregnant, once i found out at 4 weeks, it took me a week to kick the habbit, but from 5 weeks i have not touched one, im very proud of myself.

I hate seeing pregnant woman smoke, not only is it bad for the baby, but it looks coman to!

I smoked 20 a day for 14 years so i wasnt a light smoker, and if i can give up for the sake of my baby then others have no excuse!

the smell is the worse, i smell smokers walk past me, even some kids in the school play ground stink of fags coz of there parents, its terrible, it makes me sick to think i used to smell like that!

good on you for giving up

worst one i saw was when me and elaine was walking down the high street the other day and a mum had her baby strapped to the front of her smoking a damn rollie. :evil:

im not suprised your mad, i would be too.

I gave up on both of my two but admit i started again afterwards, never in the house tho always went outside.

this time its affected me diffrently, prob coz im older but the smell really puts me off, so i will defo not be starting again
my friend smokes in teh house and she has 2 children, her kids smell of it and i feel so sorry for them!

Totally agree with you Dan, when i left hospital with jamie there were 2 pregnant woman outside smoking and it just looked absolutely awful, cant believe they would put there unborn baby through that!! i know its hard to give up but surely having a life growing inside you is the best form of nicotine replacment!!
Ive seen pregnant woman in the pub before, drink in one hand and fag in the other!! now thats bad!!! lol

I have to agree I do not like looking at pregnant mothers smoking. I stopped too when I knew I was pregnant and although I do miss my fag from time to time, I think the baby should be in a non-smoking belly lol

Hopefully, I will be able not to start again, my b/f being a heavy smoker so it does not make things easy but will try my best. But on the other side, i can understand people who do not stop, the saddest thing is it is all excuses. I tried so many times to quit and it did not work because i had problems etc... but problems are still here and am managing for the sake of my little one!!

But I agree it is disgusting from those who think it is cool to smoke while having a baby!!!

I don't understand why women smoke when they are pregnant. Why would you pump chemicals into your baby, increase your risk of miscarriage, your baby suffering from asthma and associated breathing problems or even put your baby at risk of cot death?

It's horrible when you see people smoking in cars when they have children in the back. That's just gross!

hi

Just a quickie. My mates aunt smoked throughout her pregnancy and when the baby was born her afterbirth was black and shrivelled. Her baby got all the nutrients that she needed, didnt she!!!!!!!

You people are all very judgemental.

You don't know why those women haven't stopped smoking. It's not all roses you know. Some women are in bad relationships and/or experiencing a great deal of stress through their pregnancies and you are only adding to that with your holier than thou attitude.

I know I should give up. I have cut down - a lot - but I am under a lot of pressure partly because of this pregnancy- much wanted though it is - and I can tell you that getting dirty or disdainful looks for smoking the occasional roll-up does nothing to help me to feel less stressed or help me to quit; it just adds to the pressure.

And for your information, if you are going to smoke, it is - I won't say better - less bad to smoke roll-ups than ready made cigarettes so less of the 'damn rollies' first.time.daddy

Thanks to futuremum for at least understanding that it can be difficult to stop. I don't think it's cool to smoke while pregnant, but I don't think it's cool to be a gibbering wreck either.

And layla - learn to spell and punctuate before you brand others 'coman'

hi Skiddo

I just thought that i would add that this forum gives freedom of speech. You yourself said that you are trying to cut down so you must think that it isnt a good thing to smoke during pregnancy.

just to add that to watch my step dad who i loved dearly waste away from lung cancer over a period of 4 years due to smoking will never leave my mind plus it devastated my 10 year beyond belief.

you then go on to critise someone who could be dyslexic and therefore might not be able to help the way that they spell, which I might add,is not something in their control, which would makes you just as judgemental and self opiniated (your words) as the people that you are critising.

where does it state in any medical book that if you are stressed smoking can calm you down.

secondary lung cancer can harm small children. no one is immune to it.

Happily I gave up smoking 18 months ago and I'm not a fan of smoking at any time let alone in pregnancy.

However, it has now been recognised that nicotine is one of the hardest drugs in the world to give up. I think that because smoking is so widely seen, people forget the terrible pull it can have on you and withdrawal is not a nice thing I can assure you.

Whilst it doesn't truely help with stress, a smoker is naturally under more stress from the nicotine and so giving up does temporarily raise stress levels giving the impression that stress diminishes with smoking.

It is also true that rollies are better than pre rolled cigarettes (sespecially if you roll in a filter) because they don't have the 1000 chemicals in them to stop them going out.

I was lucky enough to have a lot of support giving up and also to have the chance to give up before planning my pregnancy. In an ideal world this would be the situation of every woman but unfortunately it is not.

I don't think any pregnant woman is proud to be a smoker but the majority do the best they can. There may be other behaviours in which they are more successful than the non-smokers and without knowing their full life history I think it is a hard thing to judge.

Yes everyone has the right to air their opinion but before doing so maybe they should consider whether or not their support and suggestions for giving up could be more constructive than their critisism.

hi Louise

At the end of the day everyone is responsible for their own actions. but i dont see the point of critising someone for the way that they spell. or any other mecical conditions. i mean would they critise someone with MS or cancer etc.

I think if addiction were so simple it would have been solved a long time ago.

I made no comment regarding the spelling as I felt it was outside the topic of discussion.

i know louise i was just commenting on an earlier comment.

i think the best thing now is just to leave it. everyone has their own opinions, but this is a forum where people can air their views and not everyone is going to like it all of the time.

take care with your pregnancy

Skidoo said:
You people are all very judgemental.

You don't know why those women haven't stopped smoking. It's not all roses you know. Some women are in bad relationships and/or experiencing a great deal of stress through their pregnancies and you are only adding to that with your holier than thou attitude.

I know I should give up. I have cut down - a lot - but I am under a lot of pressure partly because of this pregnancy- much wanted though it is - and I can tell you that getting dirty or disdainful looks for smoking the occasional roll-up does nothing to help me to feel less stressed or help me to quit; it just adds to the pressure.

And for your information, if you are going to smoke, it is - I won't say better - less bad to smoke roll-ups than ready made cigarettes so less of the 'damn rollies' first.time.daddy

Thanks to futuremum for at least understanding that it can be difficult to stop. I don't think it's cool to smoke while pregnant, but I don't think it's cool to be a gibbering wreck either.

And layla - learn to spell and punctuate before you brand others 'coman'

you know what they say , all addicts have excuses and others to blame ,as for your comment about being difficult to stop , quite simple you should have never started smoking in the first place and you should have the will power and care for your unborn baby to stop , and when your child is here , if you are happy to smoke around him/her or let others then thats your problem. But just try and remember you babies health before you put another one in your mouth and light it up.

as soon as i found out i was pregnant i put my fags in the bin and have never smoked since...... since i have some one else inside me and its my job to protect them.

as for smoking in hospital... when there are signs the size of houses every where around the hospital saying "no smoking in the grounds of the hospital"

why shud i have to stand with my new born baby next to 20 pregnant women smoking roll ups which stink so bad.. i wanted my baby to enjoy her first breath of fresh air. but no she gets a gob full of smoke coz some people cant be considerate, i dont care if u wanna smoke and poison ur baby.. but dont do it places where it can harm my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i smoked for 11 years. some times more then 20 a day and i quit just like that.. i got my priorities right.... if u got will power and some thing means enough to you then u can do any thing

hi Elaine

Can you hear me clapping. I think that too. It is a touchy subject but it's my opinion.

Change of subject. are you excited for Cat.

hope you are feeling better hon

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member