Smelly wee!

Discussion in 'Postnatal Questions' started by JoAnn&Aimee, Aug 10, 2008.

1. JoAnn&Aimee

JoAnn&Aimee Well-Known Member

Sorry for the TMI but my wee is smelling REALLY bad! It smells like I have a urine infection and stings like one as well. I had an assisted birth with forceps and an epidural incase I needed a c-section so I had a catheter fitted which was removed the next morning when I got the feelings in my legs back. I was cut as well so I have stitches so I know the stinging is caused by this but the smelly wee doesn't seem right.

I know I only gave birth a week ago but it is worrying me a bit. Not sure if I should mention to the midwife when she visits tomorrow or if it is normal after giving birth. :think:

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

I'd tell her. I don't think its normal to have smelly urine. You may get a bit of pain on the outside when weeing due to stirches etc but if its an internal pain so to speak it may well be a UTI. They usually do a urine dip anyways when they come out to do a home visit after birth. Well my MW did :) Pee in the pot and ask her to dip it.

3. poppy160

poppy160 Well-Known Member

Yeah, get checked. But alot of women on the forum have complained of a 'sensitive' feeling clitorus since having their babies, I had it too and was concerned it was a UTI as I was prone to them pre-pregnancy. It wasn't though.

4. JoAnn&Aimee

JoAnn&Aimee Well-Known Member

It is a urine infection, I knew it. I am very prone to them so I know the signs right away but with just having the baby I was unsure. Midwife phoned the doctors and got a prescription for antibiotics sorted there and then. :)