smear test while TTC

Discussion in 'Trying to Conceive' started by satch, Jan 7, 2008.

1. satch

satch Well-Known Member

Are there any reasons to not have a smear test while TTC?

I've had a reminder through and wondering when the best time would be (other than mid-cycle).

2. mrs_tommo22

mrs_tommo22 Well-Known Member

No, just dont have it after you ovulate and BD :D

3. satch

satch Well-Known Member

thanks for the quick reply!

I ovulated last week and BD'd :D

My appointment is supposed to be tomorrow, but from reading another post on here, it made me doubt that I'd chosen the time of the month.

The doctor's reception, just said mid-cycle - I suppose I should have said that I was TTC.

I think I'll cancel and re-schedule....

4. Loola

Loola Well-Known Member

Ooh Im glad you asked this question as I was wondering aswell. I am due a smear, so I guess Ill book it for next month straight after AF if no BFP this month.

5. skairdykat

skairdykat Well-Known Member

I had one a few months back just b4 OV. The nurse said it used to be common practice for every PG woman to have one so she couldn't see there being any harm done if it was done after OV. In fact when I was PG I had a smear due to abnormal cells and everythign was fine.

6. CB23

CB23 Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I'm (over)due a smear too - will book one for about 8-9 days after next AF. Thanks for this thread!

7. reallyoldmum

reallyoldmum Well-Known Member

Me too :oops: been trying to book one for the past 4 months but everytime I started to bleed just before!! Seeing the doctor tomorrow so will get his advice when to have it done.

8. mary70

mary70 Well-Known Member

i had one when i was about 5 weeks pregnant and was ok so dont see why not

9. PinkPunch

PinkPunch Well-Known Member

I've never had one done before. I know I should for routine purposes but im 23 and sort of think its more important after 25. Kinda nervous about the whole thing! :wall:

10. Loola

Loola Well-Known Member

Its not as bad as you think it will be. Its a bit painful, but its mainly the shock of the cold thing inserted in you! Its all over so quickly. Saying that, the last time I had one I was really nervous for some reason, therefore not relaxed at all and it took bloody ages. She couldnt find my cervix! :shock: She found it eventually and all was fine.

I expect to have alot more prodding around when I finally get pregnant and will get used to being in embarrassing and awkward situations alot more no doubt!

11. skairdykat

skairdykat Well-Known Member

I was only 22/23 when I got pre-cancerous cells hun so the over 25 thing TBH is rubbish. I was only 2 yrs away from it being cancer. Please get one done :hug: :hug: :hug:

12. jemz24

jemz24 Well-Known Member

it shouldnt be painful at all just uncomfortable when the cold thingy goes in and the swab just relax and u should be fine.
    im 25 and ive had 2 done they used to be every 10 years but theyve shortened it. it dosent matter how old you are, always get checked out.