Small baby?

Cheery Cherry

Reaction score
Hey all
I am 32+5 pregnant, this is my first pregnancy. At 30+2 I had a bit of brown discharge so went in to the hospital. They did a scan and all looked normal, no bleeding in the womb. I was told most likely it was caused by hormones, it's quite common in pregnancy. They did a scan and the baby measured on the 10th percentile so referred me for a growth scan 2 weeks later. I had that last Friday at 32+2, where baby measured small again. They did a Doppler scan and CTG and I was told everything is reassuring and normal. They were going to refer me back for a check up on Tuesday, but then the ward sister checked my results and said to the midwife ''the PI is raised, you need to bring these notes over to the doctor and see what they say''. When the midwife returned from the doc, she cancelled my follow up apt on Tuesday and said that I need to go to see my obstetrician, the doc on duty made an appointment for me in a week time. Now I'm waiting for this appointment. While the midwife was away with my notes I did an online research abt rasied PI and it is to do with the blood flow in the cord. -I had asked her when it was being done, was the blood flow OK and she said yes!!! so when she returned I asked her again, were all the results OK and she said yeh but your baby measures small so need to go to my obstetrician to discuss further plan of care... Baby measured fine on all previous scans.. Also, we had private scans done for 4D images but baby was hiding, we r due to repeat it again in 2 days (for the 3rd time) - baby measured great in there too, on the 50 percentile at 27 weeks and just above the 50th at 29 weeks. Both me and my partner were born tiny, but not premature. I was 2200 g and he was 2360g. baby measured at 1654g at 32+2 (the average at this point is around 1700g), yet they plotted it just below the 10th percentile. I am so confused. Baby being on the smaller side wouldn't bother me, (both my sisters were small too) but the midwifes and sisters comment about raised PI is scaring the life out of me. And when we asked, she said it was OK. My research from online says it's not OK :( PI was 1.28 and RI was 0.71 Does anyone have any experience with this? I was left very upset for the whole weekend and having to wait until Friday is going to be nervewrecking. As for babies size, I put myself on a high calorie and high protein diet, trying my best.

Last edited:
I have very similar. I went to the midwife at 31 weeks and was referred for a growth scan as was measuring 27.5. Had a growth scan on last week then had to got to the day car assessment unit to be monitored for half an hour (baby's heartbeat) THe consultant said I was ok at the moment but I needed to go back for a Doppler scan this week (Friday) and a growth scan next week. I think even though you are on the low side of normal they are just monitoring to ensure you don't drop below this so I am seeing it as a positive that we get more monitoring and if there were any problems it would be picked up quickly!! Keep your chin up!! Xxx

Hey all
I am 32+5 pregnant, this is my first pregnancy. At 30+2 I had a bit of brown discharge so went in to the hospital. They did a scan and all looked normal, no bleeding in the womb. I was told most likely it was caused by hormones, it's quite common in pregnancy. They did a scan and the baby measured on the 10th percentile so referred me for a growth scan 2 weeks later. I had that last Friday at 32+2, where baby measured small again. They did a Doppler scan and CTG and I was told everything is reassuring and normal. They were going to refer me back for a check up on Tuesday, but then the ward sister checked my results and said to the midwife ''the PI is raised, you need to bring these notes over to the doctor and see what they say''. When the midwife returned from the doc, she cancelled my follow up apt on Tuesday and said that I need to go to see my obstetrician, the doc on duty made an appointment for me in a week time. Now I'm waiting for this appointment. While the midwife was away with my notes I did an online research abt rasied PI and it is to do with the blood flow in the cord. -I had asked her when it was being done, was the blood flow OK and she said yes!!! so when she returned I asked her again, were all the results OK and she said yeh but your baby measures small so need to go to my obstetrician to discuss further plan of care... Baby measured fine on all previous scans.. Also, we had private scans done for 4D images but baby was hiding, we r due to repeat it again in 2 days (for the 3rd time) - baby measured great in there too, on the 50 percentile at 27 weeks and just above the 50th at 29 weeks. Both me and my partner were born tiny, but not premature. I was 2200 g and he was 2360g. baby measured at 1654g at 32+2 (the average at this point is around 1700g), yet they plotted it just below the 10th percentile. I am so confused. Baby being on the smaller side wouldn't bother me, (both my sisters were small too) but the midwifes and sisters comment about raised PI is scaring the life out of me. And when we asked, she said it was OK. My research from online says it's not OK :( PI was 1.28 and RI was 0.71 Does anyone have any experience with this? I was left very upset for the whole weekend and having to wait until Friday is going to be nervewrecking. As for babies size, I put myself on a high calorie and high protein diet, trying my best.

Hi, I can't offer much advice in terms of the PI and blood flow in the cord, however I also have experience with being told baby is on 10th centile. When they first informed me of this at 24 weeks, I was concerned and kept imagining that I would have a tiny baby, however the baby isn't small when compared to the average across the whole population. So on my customised growth chart, the baby is on the 10th Centile but on the whole population chart the baby is on the 50th. The baby measured around 650g at 24 weeks and around 980g at 26. If the baby follows it's current line, he/she should be around 7lb 7oz at birth, which to me isn't small. I am 5'4 and not big built so I'm not sure what size baby they expect me to have!! My first was 8lb 1oz so a bit bigger but this baby doesn't seem to be that different so I don't know why they are checking growth.

Just wanted to share my experience as I was quite shocked at how big the baby actually is as when they first told me the baby was on 10th centile I was expecting a really small baby.

Thank you, it's reassuring to read similiar stories. My concern was that the midwife more-less told us baby could be small because not getting enough nutritients/oxygen, hence the PI was raised. But we went for a private scan last night, and only 5 days later baby weighed nearly 500g more than on the midwifes scan on friday! Everything seemed fine, baby was on 50th centile, bloodflow and all good. Baby measured just 4 days out of my original date. I really think the midwife doing my growth scan last week was not too accurate, she had me very nervous, didn't answer any of our questions. Seeing my consultant tomorrow, will see what they say. Problem is that they don't really want to look at private scan results, but I'm just gonna have to put my foot down, surely I am emtitled to a 2nd opinion. Feeling a lot more positive after last night anyway. Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow :) x

I don't have a clue about PI but my youngest daughter measured small throughout the pregnancy, between 10th and 5th centile. At about 36-37 weeks she dropped to just below 5th centile and didn't grow in the last few weeks so I was induced on my due date. She was born 6lb 6oz at 40 weeks so not overly small. Now at 12 weeks she's following the 25th centile so has definitely made up for not growing the last few weeks of pregnancy. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back