slowed growth at 34 weeks

sammielou

Reaction score
So my first two fundal height measurements were just above the 90th percentile. Then the third was bang on the 50th percentile. Showing little growth in the two weeks between measurements 2 and 3. I've been referred for an extra ultrasound to check it out.

The midwife says 'don't worry, it's nothing, I just have to send you because the rules say so'.

I bounce between believing her, to thinking that they don't just throw ultrasound appointments at you for nothing on the NHS.

Trying to chill about the whole thing, but just wondering how many ladies out there have been referred for an extra scan because of fundal height measurements, and what the outcome was.

Fundal height is a hard one as baby could just be in a funny position. My fundal height has been slightly on the low side but consistent, but upon having a growth scan baby is measuring up small and I've had 2 growth scans now and another one in 3 weeks time just to check. I would love to say don't worry about it, but with the way I have been I know it's not that easy to do. For now I would try to stay positive that baby is moving well and they are sending you for a scan just to be sure all is well. Most of the time baby measures perfectly at growth scans but even if they aren't they will keep an extra eye on you and baby xx

I bounce between believing her, to thinking that they don't just throw ultrasound appointments at you for nothing on the NHS.

I've just had two scans thrown at me for nothing - same issue, MW wasn't happy with measurements dropping off from week 25 to 31, kept referring me, and scan results always came back okay. I've finally been released from the growth scan routine today...with MW at the hospital saying to just tell my community midwife they didn't see any reasons for further scans next time she wants to send me.

So...I'd try not to worry too much until you've had your scan and there's further indication of problems. Fundal height measurements aren't the most accurate, and I still have a feeling they also very much depend on the size of the meals you've had the days before. :roll:

P.S.: Kanga - really hope your next scan will show a growth spurt!!

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for the reassurance. The hospital phoned today and my scan is tomorrow, so at least the worry won't drag out over the weekend on this. And I get a free peek at the little one again.

It seemed strange to me that my first two measurements were on the 90th percentile - I don't look like I have a big bump compared to my natural size. Most people are surprised when I tell them how far along I am. So I'm thinking that the first two measurements weren't accurate and that he's been average all along as the third says.

I'll let you know what the hospital says. How much can they tell from one scan though, when my fundal measurement says he's 50th percentile? It's not like he's measuring 'small' for my gestation period, just not grown much in two weeks according to the fundal measurement. I predict more scans in my future, otherwise this one is surely a waste of time!

That's good you don't have to wait ages for a scan. They will be looking it see if baby is measuring on track or a low weight plus check the fluid levels to make sure baby has enough fluids to drink and wee out. Plus they may check the blood flow through the placenta to make sure baby is getting enough nutrients through it. They may do another in 2 weeks to see if baby's growth is consistent as they can't accurately measure growth any sooner than that. Hope today goes well xx

Thanks Kanga86, you were spot on. They checked everything you said they would.

His estimated weight from the scan is just below the estimate from the latest fundal height measurement. She says he's not a big baby but he's not small either - if he keeps going at the same rate he'll be about 7.5lbs come 40 weeks. Fluid and placental blood flow both look fine. No follow up from them at this point, so we'll see what happens at the next MW appointment a week on Monday.

Aww glad all went well and they are happy with his growth. My baby is going to be small too. Although my boys were only 7lb 1oz and 7lb 6oz. How much did they estimate him to be today? xx

That sounds good. Hopefully he continues to follow the 50th centile for fundal height xx

That's my hope too - 7.5lbs feels like an okay size, he wouldn't be too small but I wouldn't have to push out a big baby either!

Just noticed your ticker Kanga86, I forgot I had a due-date buddy :)

Aww are we? Yay! How exciting :) Yeah 7.5lb is a good size to push out lol Although I only pushed James out (7lb 6oz) as Harry was an emcs xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back