Slow to sit babies

NavyLouise

Reaction score
E is 9 months tomorrow and still wobbly to sit up, she can do it for a few seconds but ultimately always falls. I keep getting told all babies hit these milestones at different times but I can't help feeling a bit sad that I know I won't be seeing her take a step or stand before I'm back at work because she doesn't properly put weight on her feet and seems to have no stability in her back iykwim?

She can do a sort of sluggy army crawl so she's getting somewhere but I'm still worried.
Has anyone else's lo been quite slow to get the hang of sitting? Did they suddenly just surprise you one day?

My worry is that she has a sacral dimple and worse case scenario it could be an underlying problem, but the hospital say she's too old for an ultrasound and I don't want her having an MRI unless necessary. Every time I ask a HV or GP they won't give me an answer as to wether she is just going to be a slow sitter or if its a potential worry.

I'm not sure what a sacral dimple is so I can't say anything to that, however I did just want to say that my friends little girl is 2 weeks older than Harry, she will be 10 months next week and only just started sitting up properly about a month ago at most. apparently after weeks and weeks of trying to get her to do it she just done it one day! Same will probate happen for little Enid! Xxx

I work in maternity and have seen many sacral dimples,they are only a problem if they are a hole and have hair sprouting out,your paediatrician should have checked it when baby was born,if its just a dimple thats closed it should be fine x

I have no knowledge of sacral dimples either. Does she enjoy tummy time? If she does i'd do it lots to help try and strengthen her back?

My Jack has always hit milestones a little later than his peers but he gets there in the end. If you are really worried insist your Doctor takes you seriously or ask for another Doctor's opinion x

No knowledge of sacral dimples here either I'm afraid but I have a non-sitty baby too!

It's driving me mad and we'll see HV tomorrow as at 8.5 months I'm convinced he should be sitting up.

He can, but doesn't like to. He much prefers finding his way onto his back to he can roll around. He is very good on his legs and can move backwards when laying on his front.

I've actually stopped posting on the November Mummies thread as I was getting so paranoid that babies weeks younger than James are doing so much more???

Just to put your mind at rest is there another HV you could see for a second opinion

xxxxxxx

I posted a thread like this about sitting, crawling, walking etc etc. because O is a lazy little monkey. She didn't crawl until 11mths!

I promise she will do it eventually and one day you will say 'I wish she would just .
lay on the floor where I left her ;)'

I know it's hard, but stop stressing x

Thanks ladies! The sacral dimple is just a weird dimple/hole thingy on her bum in her crack lol The paediatrician said it could mean there's an underlying problem but I prefer not to think on it.

It's just nice to hear of other babies who're a little on the lazy side lol I've just been getting a bit paranoid seeing all these beautiful babies who're younger than E but seemingly doing more!
Carnatt it'd be interesting to hear what your HV says, I've asked a few and they never give me a straight answer.

Cays a little younger (just coming up to 7m), but he's not sitting yet. He'll sit for up to a minute if I lay his pushchair flat... He's got a buggy driver on it so I put the back flat and sit him to play with that, and even when he starts to topple he'll correct himself, so I know he can do it for a bit when he wants... He just, rarely wants.

M is 9 days older than Cay. She sits absolutely perfectly, and if you put her hands on a table or the couch, she'll just stand there for ages.
Cay rolled weeks before her though, so I'm not too worried.

They all get there eventually xx

Hi, my lo was 9 months old yesterday and is exactly the same!! Does the sluggish army crawl and wobbly when sits. I'm beggining to worry but have a check next week with HV so will ask then. Xx

In the last week or so my lo (almost 7months) has perfected sitting up herself and can sit for ages no probs but she shows no signs at all of rolling over and almost all the babys I know her age (and younger) are rolling over really well. I think some babys are quick in some areas and others are quick at others! They cant be good at everything ;) xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'll let you know what HV says tomorrow if we go (I've been feeling very ill all evening so not sure we'll make tomorrow's clinic)

I am not at all worried as James was rolling months ago, he seems to prefer being on the floor (as opposed to sitting) as he knows he can move about :lol:

It's hard not to compare though. We all do it even though we know we shouldn't.

xxxxxx

Hey Hun, B has been hitting milestones quite early but I'm sure it's because she started as a tummy sleeper so she's always had a strong core.... Would Enid be happy building strength by spending time on her tummy???

As people say all the time, every baby is different, a client of mine said her daughter only started crawling at 18 months and there was no reason other than she wasn't ready....

I bet Enid will start sitting, crawling and cruising all close together!

Try not to worry but if you still think there could be something else worth getting checked follow your instincts and get a second opinion xx

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry.

I was really early at hitting milestones. Apparently I sat at 5 months and walked at 7!
My husband was later, sat at 9 months and walked at 17 months.

Now I'm the laziest person in the world when it comes to physical exercise. My husband on the other hand has just completed his second Iron Man competition and is great at any sport he tries.

We all get there in the end and how early/late we get there makes no difference in later life.

Xxx

My daughter has a sacral dimple, and although she was sitting up fine by 6 months, she has just turned 16 months and only started crawling two weeks ago! I was so worried about her moving development but it is so true that they just do it in their own time. In a month she has gone from not being able to move at all, to crawling, pulling herself up to standing, cruising furniture and walking just holding one of our hands. Something has just 'clicked' for her. I'm sure Enid will just figure it out one day and surprise you like Evie did to us!!

HV was useless!

She showed me how to support him between my legs (which I do several times a day - we read books, play with his stacking toys and stuff)

She then put him on the floor and was impressed with how well he moves, despite me specifically saying my only concern was with his sitting.

After going round in circles (HV saying he is fine and moving really well, me asking if him not sitting was an issue :wall2:) she finally said that some babies crawl before sitting and it's nothing to worry about. I asked her to make sure she put this in his notes!

So nothing to help I'm afraid Kerry, seems like my HV is as useless as yours !!

xxxxxxx

Hey hun. Sorry to hear you're worried. T sat unaided at 6-7 months but wasn't particularly stable til she was 8 months. She didn't crawl, roll, support her weight well or anything until about 11 months. At 11.5 months I put her on the floor one day and she just started crawling and was off like a shot, just like Hellywelly's Evie. There was little warning that she'd 'get it' so quickly. Now she's cruising very well, pulling up, letting go to stand by herself and will probably walk within a month or so, I'd say. She's done everything in her own time.

Did you update us on your appointment about Enid's foot turn? T only just had her hip appointment last Friday - we saw a consultant who played with her, watched her crawl, stand etc. and then manipulated her hips to check them and said she was fine. No scan or x-rays for us, just that. How did yours go? xxx

Thanks ladies! Enid has been a tummy sleeper since she was a week old and has always loved tummy time. She has been rolling for a long time now so maybe she's just going to be advanced at some things and not at others?

Carnatt sorry to hear your HV is just as useless as mine! I've actually just had mine on the phone checking up on E's foot and I asked yet again and she just told me to support her with cushions to help her learn (as if I have not been bothering to help her already!!). They really aren't helpful at all!

Karen, so glad to hear Tilly is doing well and they're not concerned about her. Sounds like she is doing fab :)
Our ultrasound results came back fine and I met a paediatrician who seemed to think E was just very well squashed up inside me and her foot will correct itself when she starts to put weight on it.
She did want to do an ultrasound of her dimple to make sure it wasn't related to her odd foot and slow development with sitting but as I mentioned they decised to just monitor her instead.
I actually just got a letter for an appointment to meet with the dr again in October (the week I go back to work, typical!) but I'm hoping she will have advanced by then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back