Slow development

Lulu90

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So, Luca goes to physio due to having torticollis (a muscular problem in his neck for those of you who don't know what it is). We spent a good hour at our appointment yesterday and, where she's happy with his neck and him finally being able to turn it to the left easily, she's concerned he isn't physically developing.

He has great legs, very strong, but he has only ever rolled over once and he rarely uses his arms. He barely has any interest in toys, he will reach out to touch a toy, but he won't lift his arms up to say, grab the toys on the arch of his playmat. He mainly keeps his hands in fists. I encourage him by putting toys in his hands, especially the left one as that's the one he uses less. He's able to suck both thumbs so he is able to move them and I stretch both arms so I know he isn't in any sort of pain. Could this simply be a lack of interest in toys? Does that sound normal? I'm not too worried about the rolling over, he does attempt it. Because of the torticollis and him only laying on one side on his face, it means one side is heavier than the other, I think this is what's holding him back with rolling, because he can get his legs over, just not his top half. He's 6 months next Friday, would you guys be concerned? Or do you have any other techniques I could try to get his arms moving. He has 1 favourite toy, but again, he won't 'play' with it, or it doesn't excite him, it's just the only toy he will touch and investigate xx

Last edited:
Is he talkatative tho? My son was quite a getting up and go kind of baby and didn't babble proper until past his first birthday.. He was on the move about 6 months.. At the time I've seen babies his age that weren't as on the move as he was but were far more talkative and willing to engage in conversations.. Or a little of both but when I've seen it a couple of times where it's just one or the other they seem to focus on.. I think esp cause the physio isn't worried, I wouldn't be too worried either. Perhaps mentioned it to the hv on next appointment or when you go in for a weigh in x

Thanks Hun. Yes he's extremely vocal, he really gets into it. Just a little confused as to why he won't move his arms. If I go to pick him up he gets excited but his arms don't move, he usually just clasps his hands together and he kicks his legs and digs his feet into the floor to move himself xx

Iv got 2 boys. My eldest didn't roll over untill 7 months but my yongerst rolled over at 5. Mikey (my eldest) wasn't interested in toys at all untill he was crawling at 9 months ish. He was happy to jump in his jumperoo or watch telly ect. He never put any toys in his mouth either ! Leo (yongest) is 6 months now and he loves toys reaches for everything all goes to his mouth! I can't believe how different they ate. I can understand you being worried but all baby's are different so wouldn't worry too much. Xx

Jackson has never rolled over, he sort of makes it half way but then stops. He is a little younger than Luca but they do all develop at different speeds.

The hv was also concerned that J didn't use his left arm much, his right would be waving about but the left would be still with his hand also in a fist. Hv told us to gently lift his arms above his head, across his body, up and down etc a few times a day. It's really helped and now he uses his arms equally.
Perhaps give moving his arms gently a few times a day a try ( ask childminder to too) and see what physio says at your next appt? Or run past hv's?

Did you start feeding solids yet and sitting in the high chair? What's he like with say finger foods and putting some toys on the table part of it in regards of grabbing stuff and then bringing it to his mouth? I mean if there's really a concern, I don't think the docs will mind to check him over for you just to give you a piece of mind? x

He's on solids yeah. He puts his right thumb in his mouth to help push the food down but never the left. I think this is all down to his torticollis though, because his head is turned to the right the majority of the time, so it would make sense for him to automatically use his right arm/hand. I haven't tried finger foods yet, what would you recommend as first finger foods? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back