Sling v. pram

kalia

Reaction score
I am having big difficulties finding the perfect pram or pushchair - I want it to be light, fold easily, face me when baby is small and have easy to use breaks. The best option I can find for what I want is a Maclaren xlr that is suitable from birth but only faces away (it's a standard pushchair). After reading every thread I could find on the forum I decided (and bought) the Moby wrap.
My question is - can I just use a sling from birth instead of buying a pram? Is it practicle? Is it comfortable for baby over longer periods of time? Is it comfortable for mum over longer periods of time?
I would have the pushchair so it would be possible to use it but I don't think it would be best for a brand new baby.
Thanks for any advice you can give me!

I think it depends what you are planning to do with baby and where you are planning to go and how you are planning on getting around. If you have a car and drive then I'd say a sling would be really usefull, much easier than a buggy or pram. If you are just popping over to see the HV and its really near then I'd say a sling is perfect but if you are planning on going supermarket shopping or walking for any distance then you will be wanting a pram. Also keep in mind the time of year, you wouldn't want to be slipping over with the baby attached to you.

Lou :)

Baby is due in April so would be in the pushchair by winter. I don't drive though so journeys would include going to the supermarket. How does that work with a pushchair and a trolley? Maybe I'd best order online or leave baby with OH.
I'd like to take baby out for general walks - to the park and such like.

Sorry hun I didnt even look at your ticker to see when you are due :roll: Congrats by the way :wink:

When I go to the supermarket I always push Isaac in his buggy and carry a basket but I do online shopping so I only pop in tesco's to get a few fresh bits and pieces, not a weekly shop. I know they have trollys with baby seats in, like car seats, and when they are bigger obviously you sit them up and poke their legs through and theres places you can leave your buggy/pram while you shop. We got a baby carrier for Isaac when he was little but we hardly used it because it hurts your back after a while but the slings that go across your body look lovely. I would definately try one of them if I have another baby. Even if its just to wear around the house to keep baby with you and quiet while you do a few jobs!

I used a sling and a carrier from birth for Tia... I never had any problems. Because we lived in a third floor flat with no lift... it was by far more practical and easier to carry her around in the sling than argue with the pushchair and stairs.

I'm getting a sling this time round, because its just easier to deal with if you want to pop out rather than go on long walks. You just pop em in the sling and off you go.. :) If you buy certain slings it makes it dead easy to breast feed too, without anyone having a clue what you are up too ;)

Also I have back problems (two slipped disks from before Tia was born) but I didn't find carrying her became a problem till she reached about 12 months.. then my back would ache if I had to walk far with her... If I had her in the back position though it wouldn't be so hard..

Oh and carrying shopping... at the end of the day, baby or not, it's really hard to carry lots of shopping. the pushchair will become a mobile trolly... But then I used to go shopping with the sling in Iceland and have them deliver (the only shop that did home delivery 8 years ago :) )

Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy!
I have a kari me sling and an urban detour buggy. I would have to say I use both, but definitely get more use out of the sling.... i couldnt live without it! I put my son in it from the very beginning, and i find it really useful when doing supermarket shopping as i have my hands free for the trolley. He is also really nice and snug in it if the weather is a bit cold. the only time i use the buggy instead is if im going out for lunch or something, as eating with him in the sling is slightly uncomfortable. and he loves to be carried much more that being pushed around in a buggy! I also use it a lot around the house when im doing stuff, he really likes that aswell. I think that my sling is the most useful baby item that I own! I guess it depends on each person. The problem that i have with my buggy is that it is HUGE and weighs a ton, so its quite a hassle to fit in places and load in and out of the car and stuff, but its a great travel system over all.

flower said:
Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy!
I have a kari me sling and an urban detour buggy. I would have to say I use both, but definitely get more use out of the sling.... i couldnt live without it! I put my son in it from the very beginning, and i find it really useful when doing supermarket shopping as i have my hands free for the trolley. He is also really nice and snug in it if the weather is a bit cold. the only time i use the buggy instead is if im going out for lunch or something, as eating with him in the sling is slightly uncomfortable. and he loves to be carried much more that being pushed around in a buggy! I also use it a lot around the house when im doing stuff, he really likes that aswell. I think that my sling is the most useful baby item that I own! I guess it depends on each person. The problem that i have with my buggy is that it is HUGE and weighs a ton, so its quite a hassle to fit in places and load in and out of the car and stuff, but its a great travel system over all.

I have the urban detour too and have ended up buying a stroller because its so huge like you say. We go camping alot though and for places like the New Forest the urban detour is excellent!! Just not so excellent for squeezing on the bus or trying to get through doorways!

what about the loola buggym it faces both ways and folds very small? I also use a sling, but find buggy can be more useful at times.

I have always worn Thea rather than use a pushchair. I do all my shopping, housework ect with her on my back, always have.
I wear her for hours and hours on end with no problems and i've yet to come across a situation where id rather of had a pushchair infact when i do use a buggy cos ive been bullied into it by OH or my mate then i find it really cumbersome and hard work!

Hi

i think for long trips as everyone else has said use the stroller but for shorter trips the slings are great and babies love them :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back