Sleeping on your back

Lou1103

Reaction score
I read somewhere that sleeping on your back can cause pressure snd rob the baby of nutrients. I'd love to know people's thoughts on this.

I go to sleep on my side but always wake up on my backand it's making me paranoid. I was scanned at 16 weeks & no problems but I haven't felt any movement from baby.

My midwives/doctors haven't mentioned anything about sleeping positions, I've just seen it online & my mum said that when she was pregnant, she didn't hear of sleeping positions being dangerous xxx

I had the same worries since I always try to sleep on my side but then wake up on my back since its so much more comfortable.

Called midwife yesterday and she said I should try to sleep on side since the weight of the baby can limit the blood supply I think and make you dizzy. She said I as long as I had some pillows under my head so the head is above the rest of the body it should be fine either way.. Basically its only Flat on your back that can be problematic.

I think its mainly a worry for you feeling bad since you would feel bad before the baby. Will try to buy one of those pillows that should stop you from sleeping on your back but every night at some point I wake up on my back so you are not alone!!
x

Thanks for replying :)

Yeah i have one of those v pillows, i used it and woke up probably every hour and my neck was killing the next day :/ I'll try to use it again but surely lack of sleep can be detrimental as well? Hmmm xxx

I think its more important to get a good nights sleep and honestly dont think anything bad will happen if you sleep parts of the night on the back. I sleep most of the night on the back i think since i wake up in that position every time!

Have ordered a special pillow that will come Monday so lets see if it helps :)

Jesus I was huge and usually a tummy sleeper but obv that wouldv made me a human weeble as the months went on.

Left side is better for blood flow but I used to wake on my back too. Never purposely slept that way and cant now in the early stages so it must be a natural position..

As long as your propped up everything will be fine.

I snored like a bitch on my back always :lol:

xxxx

Last edited:
Hello,

I was having next to no sleep as had this worry in my head with being a back sleeper, my midwife told me that the only time sleeping on your back could cause an issue is at the end of your third trimester and when you go into labour, she has told me to not worry if I wake up on my back and that I need to make sure I am getting enough rest as that could cause bigger problems with being exhausted and trying to function.

Thank you for replying mrs roger! That makes me feel much better :) xxx

Its so annoying! I start the night on my side and then every time I wake up I am on my back! Since its several hours between I fall asleep and wake up I assume I sleep most of the night on my back. My body seems to prefer that position so it surely cant be that bad!

I am still waiting for pregnancy pillow.. will this prevent me rolling over?

xx

I have a pillow. Don't think it helps as I wake up with pillow underneath me but on my back... X

Strange what we do in our sleep :) I fall asleep all perfect and then wake up in a completely different position! xx

Got my pillow delivered today.. Will test out tonight and see if it helps! :)

It was really nice! Still rolled over but difficult since the pillow kind of stops you so it helps. I recommend it and really comfortable! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back