sleeping on your back???

Steelers fan

Reaction score
I am getting really worried as I have always slept on my front (which is really not possilbe at the moment) or my back. When I have mentioned this to a friend she said I don't sleep on your back as it is bad for the baby?? She thought it was something to do with lack of oxgyen or something has anyone else heard this? Like I don't have enough trouble sleeping as it is! tracy x

Hi!!

I believe that there is a main vein running down your back and once your baby gets quite heavy if you lay on your back it can put pressure on this vein. It can affect the blood supply running through your body and back to your heart which inturn could affect the baby and your oxygen levels.
However I have spoken to my midwife about this because I am much the same as you: even if I fall asleep on my side I always wake up on my back!!
She said that it isn't recommended to lay on your back once you get past about 22weeks but you would certainly feel uncomfortable or dizzy etc if you was affecting your blood flow or circulation so you would instinctively change position before you caused you or baby any real harm.

Hope this settles your mind a little xxx

Hey Steeler's Fan,

I think that this was one of the hardest things I had to deal with. I normally slept on my side but would often take comfort from moving to my back. When I found out I couldn't lie on my back at all I was quite disturbed. My hips and knees started to hurt because of the pressure from side sleeping- this has since subsided.

Now I cannot sleep on my back. I have ligament pain which is worse when my legs are straight so if I do wake up on my back I wake up with pain.

I was told that if you wake up on your back just turn on your side. Also, lying on your side, I read, is supposed to help with you bladder-you won't want to go to the bathroom as much.

As for worrying to death about it, I have told this to many mothers of healthy children and none of them had heard of this. One mother had been told to sleep on her belly!

Good luck!

Hello
Just read in magazine last week that you should preferably sleep on your left side. The previous posts pretty much says what magazine stated. I don't sleep very deep anymore as I'm too busy being conscious of the position I'm sleeping in.
It should get better though...... here's hoping!!!
Emilia x

I got really worked up about this at about 20 weeks as I just couldn't sleep on my side without my hips hurting so much I couldn't sleep. I got all tearful and everything- especially at the thought of so much longer to go! I phoned my midwife and she said that it is best not to sleep flat on your back but that if you're raised up on pillows or tilted with a blanket or pillow under one side (even just an inch she said) then that is fine- it's just flat on your back it's best to avoid. To be honest, only a few weeks later I realised that I actually didn't want to sleep on my back any more anyway and woke up when I did- with pins and needles in my arms and hands or just feeling uncomfortable. I just can't even accidentally seem to do it now. I have found that sleeping with a multitude of pillows helps- I have four nornal pillows and a body pillow at the moment- all strategically placed! I still don't sleep brilliantly for more than a few hours but it is better than it was! There's hardly any room for my DH though!

+++

i have about 5 pillows one down either side of me and the rest behind my head for the indegestion i was told that if u lay on ur back that ur legs should be bent but to be honest its much more comfy on ur side with a pillow just slighty under ur bump

Thanks everyone it really is a comfort to know that others have the same worries and that pillows which are cheap and comfortable work. Fingers crossed for a good night sleep!!!! My oh hopes so too!!!! Poor man...send him into spare room last night as it was too hot and there was just not enough room in that bed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back