Sleep gear for babies

soffphie

Reaction score
Hi guys so i was looking at cot bedding sets as i wanted to buy while on a good sale.. but i just got very confused!
i know for first 6 months i intended to use just a blanket and put them in crib in bedroom. but its at 6months plus i am not sure what to do?
as i said i saw a cot bed set which i have now read online and it says a baby should not have a quilt till over a year old!! i saw something called a coverlet which the retailer says not till a year old but online says it can be used under a year old so i am confused there as well...? what do they use bedding wise from 6mths to a year?
Ive always seen online people with wonderfully set up cot beds for the nursery yet its never really used till a year old?? so confusing haha :)
ive also seen something online about how baby bumpers can actually cause more harm then good!?

We did next 2 me crib in our room with cellular blankets til 5.5 months when he got too big. We then squeezed the cotbed into our room and switched to baby sleeping bags. We moved LO into his own room at 6.5 months. Had planned to keep him in with us a bit longer but he was a lot noisier once he really started moving! They say cot bumpers are a risk as they can use them to climb. I've never used one. Hope that helps.

A sleeping bag is your best bet, you get them in 0-6 month then 6-12 month etc and you can match the tog for the season so the temperature should be right for the baby
Your midwife and/or HV should give you all the info about safe sleeping but yeah basically all those fancy cot set ups with bumpers and cushions and blankets are a death trap for babies, their Moses basket/ cot or wherever they are sleeping should be clear of anything at all which could obstruct their airways, even teddy bears, the risk is the baby rolling or turning their face into the cushion/bumper etc, they usually can’t roll back, also their airways don’t even need to be completely obstructed for there to be a risk, babies have sadly died from their breath being trapped in a small space and them breathing the same breath in over and over again causing fatal levels of carbon monoxide
You can have a blanket rather then sleeping bag but it should only go up to shoulders and be tucked in
Personally I had a Moses basket for a month or so with a blanket, then I started bed sharing following la leche leagues safe sleep 7 x

Bumpers are a suffocation hazard, I’ve also read of a couple of more mobile (crawling age) babies getting their necks inbetween the cot bars and the ties used to tie the bumper on, I know lots of people have used them without incident but I wouldn’t risk it x

I agree on the bumpers, avoid them if you can!

I swaddled my LO until she was 2 months old I think, then used sleeping bags. I loved the Puckababy 4 seasons sleeping bag since you can use it all year round in different ways. Like the others said, check the TOG value and dress the baby accordingly. You can google it if you want to make sure you got the right TOG value.x

We used swaddle sacs until 4 months, then swapped to sleep bags. You can buy them in different thickness (tog) levels so baby is never cold. Avoid blankets and bumpers, they're a SIDS risk. Sleep sacs are better than blankets anyway as babies tend to kick blankets off and wake up cold!!

Thank you so much guys! really has helped.
I just got confused as i always presumed using a blanket would be fine, i was going to get a crochet one done. So im now thinking get a sleeping bag for first year..? im still going to get this blanket made as i just love it and its rainbow themed. :) (also online says crochet is safest as it has air holes??)
I will leave the bumpers then, 1 expense less haha.
I mean i was going to buy the cot bedding in advanced as i know i want the nursery to be winnie the pooh themed. is this something silly to do too early?
ive also read if its very hot, say we get a august heatwave your best to use nothing at all. just what they are wearing/the night gear? sound right?

On thing I would mention about sleeping bags is that even the 0-6 months has a minimum weight. My LO was too small for a standard sleeping bag and he wasn't a small baby. We had intended to use swaddle wraps to begin with but he HATED them which was why we switched to the cellular blankets which are the ones with the holes.

As for room temperature, get a gro egg. It's a room thermometer and you can match how many layers to the temperature. When it was really hot in summer, there were nights when he went to bed with just a body suit.

Thank you so much guys! really has helped.
I just got confused as i always presumed using a blanket would be fine, i was going to get a crochet one done. So im now thinking get a sleeping bag for first year..? im still going to get this blanket made as i just love it and its rainbow themed. :) (also online says crochet is safest as it has air holes??)
I will leave the bumpers then, 1 expense less haha.
I mean i was going to buy the cot bedding in advanced as i know i want the nursery to be winnie the pooh themed. is this something silly to do too early?
ive also read if its very hot, say we get a august heatwave your best to use nothing at all. just what they are wearing/the night gear? sound right?

Use your blanket on your pram when you’re out and about.

The bedding sets are gorgeous but personally I think a waste of money. Someone bought me one with my daughter and the only thing I used from it was the sheet. I used sleeping bags and kept the cot clear. Another little tip is that baby should be put in cot/Moses basket etc with feet touching the bottom x

We used summer infant swaddle pods for the first couple of months (bonus of stopping baby startling themselves awake with their arms too!) Then moved to sleeping bags (grobags are my favourite!) You'll probably find you need a couple depending on your house temp, we are currently using the 3.5 tog 'winter' one, although we use the 2.5 tog most of the year. Heatwave weather really depends on how warm your house gets, and weather you have a warm baby. Our LO wont sleep with bare arms so always has long sleeves, but he was a cold baby and we have an old (cold!) house. We keep the thermostat in whichever room baby is sleeping in, so we can check the temp - some baby monitors also display the temperature too which is super helpful.

We used summer infant swaddle pods for the first couple of months (bonus of stopping baby startling themselves awake with their arms too!) Then moved to sleeping bags (grobags are my favourite!) You'll probably find you need a couple depending on your house temp, we are currently using the 3.5 tog 'winter' one, although we use the 2.5 tog most of the year. Heatwave weather really depends on how warm your house gets, and weather you have a warm baby. Our LO wont sleep with bare arms so always has long sleeves, but he was a cold baby and we have an old (cold!) house. We keep the thermostat in whichever room baby is sleeping in, so we can check the temp - some baby monitors also display the temperature too which is super helpful.

hiya thanks for your reply. the bedroom that will be theres is very weird.. so basically i put heating on and it will be the warmest loveliest room in winter, but when heating/rads stop it gets cold quite quickly unlike others that stay warm.
In summer it also is the coolest room but at the same time can be blinking hot! its a very strange room with varying temps!
i have seen 2.5 togg sleeping bags, im currently thinking of buying just 1 0-6mths size and see how we go from there.. when they are born it will be May/June so who knows what the weather will be like then! but will last till Nov so defo be needed Oct & Nov Id image? its so very confusing. Honestly i thought it was a simple blanket on and done haha!

Use your blanket on your pram when you’re out and about.

The bedding sets are gorgeous but personally I think a waste of money. Someone bought me one with my daughter and the only thing I used from it was the sheet. I used sleeping bags and kept the cot clear. Another little tip is that baby should be put in cot/Moses basket etc with feet touching the bottom x

haha. its me whos fallen in so much love with this winnie the pooh cot bed set. currently planning to buy (from the nursery set) curtains, fitted sheets, cot bed bedding with pillow (its a generic set), and a sleeping bag.. anything im doing wrong?

On thing I would mention about sleeping bags is that even the 0-6 months has a minimum weight. My LO was too small for a standard sleeping bag and he wasn't a small baby. We had intended to use swaddle wraps to begin with but he HATED them which was why we switched to the cellular blankets which are the ones with the holes.

As for room temperature, get a gro egg. It's a room thermometer and you can match how many layers to the temperature. When it was really hot in summer, there were nights when he went to bed with just a body suit.

do you know if cellular blankets are or are not very similar to the crochet? they both have holes in? Yeh im going to get 1 baby sleeping bag which is a 2.5tog and see how we go from there.. its all sort of part of a nursery kit.
we will get a baby monitor straight away and that has a thermometer in built :)

haha. its me whos fallen in so much love with this winnie the pooh cot bed set. currently planning to buy (from the nursery set) curtains, fitted sheets, cot bed bedding with pillow (its a generic set), and a sleeping bag.. anything im doing wrong?

You can't give a baby a pillow, or any bedding other than a fitted sheet. Other than that everything is fine. x

can i also ask what size cellular blanket you bought? and did it last entire first year of life?

You can't give a baby a pillow, or any bedding other than a fitted sheet. Other than that everything is fine. x

yeh i wasnt going to do that but its part of kit so to speak.. so you get fitted sheets duvet cover and pillow. i figured use duvet cover and pillow when a year old x :)

can i also ask what size cellular blanket you bought? and did it last entire first year of life?

I had 4 cellular blankets as a winter baby and used them in pairs as it was easier to secure them rather than one folded over. They were suitable for crib size and we used them til 5.5 months which was when we moved him out of the crib.

We then went to sleeping bags in 6-12 months size. I'd suggest 3. One to wear, one in the wash and one spare! We had 2.5 tog which did spring and autumn. Then it was really hot so no bag needed. Think about size and season. For a may baby, 2.5 tog in 0-6 months might end up being useless depending where you are in the country.

If it helps, my LO is nearly 14 months and is still in the cot with only a sleeping bag. Not duvets or pillows etc. I'm glad I didn't spend loads on nursery bedding as I plan to carry on like this for a while longer yet.

I had 4 cellular blankets as a winter baby and used them in pairs as it was easier to secure them rather than one folded over. They were suitable for crib size and we used them til 5.5 months which was when we moved him out of the crib.

We then went to sleeping bags in 6-12 months size. I'd suggest 3. One to wear, one in the wash and one spare! We had 2.5 tog which did spring and autumn. Then it was really hot so no bag needed. Think about size and season. For a may baby, 2.5 tog in 0-6 months might end up being useless depending where you are in the country.

If it helps, my LO is nearly 14 months and is still in the cot with only a sleeping bag. Not duvets or pillows etc. I'm glad I didn't spend loads on nursery bedding as I plan to carry on like this for a while longer yet.

Thanks for your reply. Yeh i am a bit concerned about wasting money on a sleeping bag.. but people keep telling me to have one ready and incase?! -_-
I am really hoping come a year old i will use a duvet etc and make use of the bedding i very much likely will buy haha :)
Hoping grow bags till 1 only

You may find yourself using the sleeping bags past 1 @soffphie! My LB is 19 months now and every morning hes at the opposite end of the cot to where I put him, usually horizontally :rotfl: we have a duvet and pillow in the cupboard but if I started using them I'd have to go back in probably every hour to put the blanket back on him.

Theres no rush to buy them now though- unless you spot a bargain in the sales Sleeping bags will always be available and with next day delivery, you can just decide as and when it becomes necessary!

You may find yourself using the sleeping bags past 1 @soffphie! My LB is 19 months now and every morning hes at the opposite end of the cot to where I put him, usually horizontally :rotfl: we have a duvet and pillow in the cupboard but if I started using them I'd have to go back in probably every hour to put the blanket back on him.

Theres no rush to buy them now though- unless you spot a bargain in the sales Sleeping bags will always be available and with next day delivery, you can just decide as and when it becomes necessary!

Its only because i have seen this kit of winnie pooh sheets and cot bedding that all matches (with curtains and a sleepbag) that im so desperate to buy now as then i would be a set! But i really dont wanna make a mistake :/ maybe grow bags up to 1 blankets after unless can do duvet which im still hopeful i can

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back