Sleep bags

CrazyChic

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

This is my first baby so I have no idea, but what do people think doing sleep bags? As our little girl will be born in nov it will be cold, do you reckon I need to get a few?

Xx

I might be wrong but don't think they are recommended from birth I'm sure the other ladies will know for sure, we used one from about 3 month when lo got more wriggley before that we swaddled which I don't think is recommended now either lol

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There are a few sleeping bags special for newborns but most of the 0-6 m ones have a weight requirement.

Newborns they don't move much and they also get hot or cold very fast, sweat , vomit etc...
Layers are a better idea for the first weeks as you can easily add and remove without wake them.
When she was tiny what I did was to put a burp cloth/muslin/a small sheet across where the head would be so I can fast drag it under her if she brings up her milk, then when I was feeding her I had her loose wrapped up in a blanket so if she was falling asleep eating I could just put her down without her waking from the difference of temperature when she touches the cold Moses basket.
After that I would add more if needed or just unwrap a little the blanket if I thought she was hot.
Amelie went in her sleeping bags at 2 m old when I stopped doing a night change of diapers.she was out of the size 0-6 at 3.5 m(long baby) so don't invest in too many of them.
Now she is in 6-18 m ones and we will soon have to find sth bigger as at 9 m she almost outgrew those too,

James is a November baby (my EDD was actually the 5th Nov :lol:)

We used cellular blankets and made sure we kept the rooms warm enough.

Once he was over about 9lbs he went into Gro-Bags, these are the only brand of sleeping bag that is FSID approved.

Bub needs to be over 8lb 8oz

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
We used a sleeping bag with Poppy pretty much from birth as there was no way she was going to keep covers on, such a wriggly baby. We used them until she was probably 18 months maybe 2 years when she could cover herself up again if she got cold. X

I got sleeping bags thinking they would be the easiest thing, and my son absolutely hated them. Think I got 3 or 4 and they never got used. Waste of money for us. I have friends who swear by them though.

We didn't use sleeping bags from birth because our LO was really tiny. Just had sheets and cellular blankets, although she did kick them off she never seemed to get cold.

Sleeping bags are brilliant though. We put her in them from around autumn last year (would have been 7 months or so) and she loves them. You do have to be careful that their head and arms can't get back through the holes - I bought a few new ones a couple of weeks ago in the next size up and the head hole and arm holes are far too big. The bag itself is massively long, so in theory she could wriggle down. Needless to say, we've not used them yet! I'll probably be adding extra poppers to make the head hole smaller...

Thanks laadies, you have helped a lot :) just gonna wait till she is here to get one if we do :)

xx

My son is almost 5 weeks old he was alwas kicking his blankets off or pulling them up over his head, so bought one of the 1 tog sleeping bags from mothercare he seems a lot more secure in it, hed more settled at night and sleeps better

Same here. Jack didn't to into one till 3 months old as he was tiny. Even now I have to pull the arm holes down under his armpits and zip it up their because the holes r just too big for him. But it is the best thing ever. He is very wriggly and even now he sometimes manages to get of of it!! X

The mothercare ones have little buttons to make it tighter under the arms if that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back