skin care for black babies

laetitia85

Reaction score
All of my friends who are black and who've had babies are telling me that Johnsons Baby products are not good for black skin. and I've seen some of their babies develop eczema after using Johnsons products, and rashes etc.

I was thinking of getting the whole range but can the black mummies on the forum recommend anything else that works on black newborn skin? it's a bit of a tough one :wall: :think: but i wouldn't wanna use the wrong type of lotion/soap on my little boy

ive never heard of that...
but for some reason, i'd think black skin would be tougher than white... don't know why i think that lol :think:

Kimbo said:
but for some reason, i'd think black skin would be tougher than white... don't know why i think that lol :think:

that's what i thought! and i don't know why i thought that either! who put this into our minds??? :shock: :rotfl:

A lot of people arent using Johnsons, it doesnt seem to work well with a lot of babes. If you are worried about exzema, rightly so, then ask your mw and if she doesnt deal with a lot of black skinned babies then maybe she will know someone who does.

laetitia85 said:
Kimbo said:

that's what i thought! and i don't know why i thought that either! who put this into our minds??? :shock: :rotfl:

maybe because you always hear about really fair skinned people having to be careful in the sun and that sort of thing.

Xena said:
laetitia85 said:
Kimbo said:

maybe because you always hear about really fair skinned people having to be careful in the sun and that sort of thing.

oh yeah cuz i suppose black skin is naturally more used to the sun. it's probably a pigmentation thing, i'm not sure i'm not very good at this kinda stuff :think:

My friend is very dark and when her twins were born she used to use olive oil on their skin. You can add a little to their bath too. I bought some for Isaac because he had dry skin. You can buy it from Boots.

Lou :)

Persoally I think Johnsonsi s bad for baby skin full stop - is so harsh. There are loads of chemical free lotions out there which smell lush and are kinder to their skin.

lou said:
My friend is very dark and when her twins were born she used to use olive oil on their skin. You can add a little to their bath too. I bought some for Isaac because he had dry skin. You can buy it from Boots.

thanks that sounds like a good one :D

yea emilys got it on her head still damn annoying. im using mild shampoo on her head and its not budging . it is johnsons baby shampoo. i tried the eczema one also and that didnt help was boots product. think i might try the olive oil maybe that will help it. cant be good for emily must be itchy but she dont seem bothered. just injections she dont like lol

she had dry skin on her feet a lil on belly and wrists and legs. all those have gone just her head its like flakey.not red tho.but shes white so cant really help ya :(

I was gonna suggest olive oil as well... my mw told me to use it for Arianna.... it is especially good if baby gets cradel cap

hi :wave:

my doc told me not to use johnsons as it dries up there skin so she recommended Simple Soap. you can get it as a liquid or a bar also u get simple shampoo which is good.

not that i have black children myself.. but one of my best friends is white and her husband is black.. her little girl is very dark for being mixed race.. and the only problems she has had is with ashanti's hair being dry..

i had trouble with johnsons with charlottes skin.. midwife told me it was johnsons..

this time ive got simple soap.. its kinder to skin that dove.. and you can use it on their hair..if they baby does get dry skin you can use baby oil, or the gel oil or like others have said olive oil for after bath times... also babys only need bathing once or twice a week.. as long as they are washed down they are fine...

I don't think the fact Johnsons causes eczema on babies skin has anything to do with the skin being black, white, pink or purple.. its because Johnsons products are exceptionally harsh and crappy... We never use them, only the baby shampoo because it's no tears then the camomile one only.

Black skin does tend to be thicker which has the bonus of being able to be protected from the sun more and less wrinkles as you get older... BUT.. it's just as sensitive as everyone elses in the world, if you are prone to sensitive skin..

Personally Johnsons products irritate my skin and my daughter comes out in a rash with it, and neither of us are newborn babies obviously. I just think it's a terrible product to be used on babies.

I would suggest for any baby, lashings of olive oil or baby oil will suffice.. Honest to god.. babies don't get that dirty nor do they require bathing everyday... It only serves to dry out their delicate skins....

As for getting rid of the cradle cap.. stick a load of olive oil on their head and leave it in for 24 hours.. then get a nit comb and go through it.. should lift off really easily. So they will have a greasy head for a day... but meh! its our job as parents to embarrass our kids :rotfl:

Thats what I have to do for Tia as she still gets cradle cap.

Aaron has lovely skin and all I did was bathe him in water every few days when he was baby. I used a tony dot of baby shampoo for his hair and that was all. I don't think you need to use any form of soap when they are tiny, they don't get dirty very easily. He has a blob of bodywash now because he's a grubby monster :lol:

All that perfumed stuff is to harsh. I've heard that black baby thing, none of my family use that kinda stuff as where prone to ezcema, i dont know if black people are more prone to eczema than white people?

my friends little girl who is mixed race had an awful reaction to Johnsons, her skin was practically flakin off at the touch :shock: so she just used olive oil and her skin has been fine since. Iv always used Johnsons on Jam, never had a problem and his skins still as soft as when we brought him home the first time :think:

I dont think it matters whether you black,white, mixed whatever. Everyones skin reacts to products differently.

Just go with the flow and see how he gets on, though I have never put anything in the bath with imogen apart from the odd drop of johnsons lavender thats it.

lou said:

My MW recommended that we use olive oil on baby's skin at the moment because even the most sensitive of baby lotions are full of perfumes etc.

TeenAsmaTeam said:
All that perfumed stuff is to harsh. I've heard that black baby thing, none of my family use that kinda stuff as where prone to ezcema, i dont know if black people are more prone to eczema than white people?

I don't know - there was a TV programme on a while ago and they found out that black people were more susceptible to being lactose intolerant than while people. The black presenter never thought much about it but had alway had a bit of a thing about milk and it turned out that he was slightly lactose intolerant - maybe could have a point as it's all to do with allergies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back