six weeks so far, worried about finances...

noofy

Reaction score
Recently found out that I am pregnant and am waiting to see a midwife.
Google is pretty much my best friend at the moment as this will be my first!

I'm already stuck for things to dooo!
I'm completely obsessed with being pregnant and just want to talk babies all the time.

Thought I'd bug you all for finances..
Just did the weeks shopping and tried going for all healthy things and lots of ideas from pregnancy menus.
It's all coming to an awful lot.
I wasn't an unhealthy eater before pregnancy but because I wasn't really thinking about what I ate, was simply going for cheaper options like prepared lasagne etc.

My partner and I are both self employed, I only work three days a week and so am not pulling in any extra money. My weekly takehome is enough to cover rent, bills, travel money and a basic food shop... But now I feel that there's a lot I'm struggling with!

How do mums-to-be cope with finances when you have to purchase better and more expensive foods, new bras, new clothing, baby books, vitamins, visits to the midwife etc etc?

Bit concerned to say the least, but I'm trying to stay positive :)

Any help would be much appreciated

I think you need to just shop around for the best offers- healthy doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Congratulations!
Vitamins are vitamins so sainsburys to their own brand Folic acid which you need :)

eBay is great for maternity clothes

Depends on whether you want things brand new? My & oh are renovating a house and normally I would go brand new but I can't justify it at the moment and will be buying a second hand pram and other bits and pieces.

My brother & SIL had everything brand new and SIL was very healthy during pregnancy but they did rented an allottment.

I've been borrowing a sewing machine making baby blankets for friends so I'm going to kit out a nursey with hand made items!

It's hard going but I'm trying to do as much second hand because o need a new car. Hopefully if all goes well :) xxx

As babyem says, try shopping around. Do you have any markets near you? Great for cheap fruit and veg and you could try eBay for maternity clothes, much cheaper than in the shops. Own brand cheapie Folic acid and pref vitamins have same stuff in them as the more expensive brands and infant my midwife told me if you have a reasonable diet to not bother with the vits just the Folic acid.

You could make big pots of soup, which can do a couple of days worth of dinners with some nice crusty bread - really nutritious and great in this weather too!x

Thanks, yeah I'm not that fussed about brand new. Figures to save as much as possible so that when they're teenage and want everything, we should be sorted :')
I just seem to be buying more than usual, my food bill has doubled and I'm feeling the need for a whole new wardrobe (no bump yet but very bloated).
When there's a will, there's a way I guess. Just wondered if its something other parents struggle with..

Hi,

Congrats on your BFP!

I find my shopping bill isn't anymore expensive. Try not read too much in to google! It can be scarey sometimes. The ladies on here are very helpful also.

I'm quite an healthy eater or was healthier before pregnancy but i still try stick to it. i tend to eat alot of chicken etc, make things from scratch, sheperds pie, lasagne can be cheaply made and still healthy. Remember years ago they didnt think too much into, i think pregnanct women are now petrified to do or eat anything incase its wrong! try not think too much into it.

As for buying baby things ebay is fantastic! and can even be brand new and cheaper! It doesnt matter if your baby has brand new things, aslong as they are in good nick and the baby has love etc thats all that matters!

x

We're saving so that when they're at high school and we get asked for ipods, uggs and god knows what else, we should be able to give them these things.

Thanks for all your help, trying not to read to much into it but I can't help but worry!
Will check out eBay and try get myself to some markets for cheap veg :)

ive found that in regards to maternity clothes just get some key pieces. I only bought a pair of mat jeans and then some size bigger baggy t shirts that can be worn with jeans or leggings.
Its only in the last 2 weeks ive bought 4 maternity tops, 3 3 quarter sleeve tops and a t shirt and wuill get some vest tops in the summer x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back