Sit ups and crunches

Donna88

Reaction score
My daughter is 11 days old now - I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm starting to get concerned about the lack of clothes that fit me. Some of them don't fit because of my boobs which although is annoying as I bought lots of shirts ready for breastfeeding and now it looks like they'll be useless; I'm feeling okay with that and will happily buy some bigger sizes.

However a lot don't fit over my belly. I haven't weighed myself yet and don't plan on doing so for quite a while as I don't want to start worrying about losing weight just yet especially with breastfeeding.

I meant to ask my midwife but I forgot and she discharged us yesterday as little lady is doing fantastic (I'm fast learning she doesn't like to hang about; labour was so quick I had her at home with husband delivering her and she's gained over 100g each time she's been weighed so after only losing 4.4% of her birth weight she's now above her birth weight) but does anyone know how soon I can start doing crunches to try and tackle my still very present bump?

My sister says she knows someone who ruptured by doing them too soon; but I'm not sure if she had a c-section or not

I thought it was once the tummy muscles had moved back together. I've been doing postnatal yoga and there's a few other postnatal exercise classes near me. I think all of them say they're suitable from 6 weeks postnatal.

Thankyou; I'll leave it at least that long then. Not that I was planning on starting them right away it's just always best to check these things really.
I'm feeling pretty good in myself so don't want to get too over confident and do anything too soon.

For ladies doing yoga, my yoga instructor said to leave back bends even longer as her muscles had gone back but separated again after a back bend. Sounded horrible!

Yes it’s once your muscles go back. My bub is 5 weeks old now and my muscles are still split :(

None of my clothes fit either but that’s because my hips are wider. They’re probably not going back lol

My boss said it took nearly a year for her hips to go back but they did in the end!

Omg Donna you had her!!!! Congratulations AND doing it at home!! Go you! Delighted for you darling xxxx

Thankyou, we are all still so besotted with her and can't get over how we had her (in a good way) all that worry over c-sections and how the birth would go and it ended up being so quick and easy.

Nice to see you back :) hope everything is okay

Honestly don't worry about your weight or exercise just yet!! I gained a lot of fat (have always been slight and petite) so it bothered me a lot.
I breastfed which helped the weight come off over the months and just started to watch what I ate (swapping bad stuff for healthier options etc).
I didn't do any exercise at all other than a little walking until 5 months pp. Then it was just little home workouts for a few minutes a couple times a week, then eventually back at the gym lifting light weights at 7 Months.
It's so true when they say it takes 9 months to make a baby and 9 months to recover.
Im 11 months in now, lost all the extra pounds, belly completely gone (I did not do any crunches as not recommended for any muscle separation, so did alternate exercises/compound exercises etc, and have only just started to target abs now).
Please give yourself some slack and just enjoy time with your baby.
I remember feeling horiffic about my size whilst pregnant and wanted to loose the weight and get back in shape as quickly as I could. Reality is there is no rush, it WILL come off as long as your not over eating and you will be back to feeling like yourself again before you know it. Babies grow soooo fast and my one regret now is wishing I enjoyed the early days more rather than stressing about how I looked and felt.
You get more time for yourself as baby gets older, when they become mobile they are happy to play by themselves a lot giving you time to work out, get housework done etc.
Don't rush into it as you don't want to cause any damage by starting too soon :) just go for gentle walks for now, and there are specific postnatal exercises you can do to help tighten your body back up which you can do when you feel ready. But take it easy, it has to be done gradually. It takes a lot longer than you think for your body to recover, but it will happen :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back