Sinusitis

Redbootz

Reaction score
I swear I just need a break if it's not one thing it's another! I had really bad sinus issues at beginning of pregnancy I get problems with them a lot on and off and I felt a headache over the last few days and feeling really exhausted and now today the pressure in my face is immense. The doc won't do anything unless I have a temperature which I don't thank goodness but I can't bend down. I went to the dentist today so I know it's not my teeth and the pain is what Imusically get with my sinuses. The doc said to use menthol crystals but I thought you couldn't use them in pregnancy? I've had mixed advice. I just don't want any more pain. The receptionist was just telling me what the doc had said as I couldn't get an appointment anyway and then told me to come in the morning if no better lol! Seriously the last time I had this problem it lasted 6 agonising weeks!!! I don't think I can cope with six weeks or longer of sinus pain again! Any other home remedies anyone can recommend, before I lived off of sprays and ibuprofen but I know I can't have any of those.

What about steaming nose with Vicks? I know it's not the same but I had a awful cold and my nose was so blocked. I filled the sink with boiled water and Vicks and stuck a towel over my head and my sink. It wasn't pleasant bur it really helped. Hope you feel better soon.
Also is there a walk in near you?x

The receptionist from the docs said to use the crystals but I didn't know that was safe. I have some Vicks somewhere in the house I shall dig that out. They won't give antibiotics unless I get a temperature that's what the doc said to the receptionist apparently when I called so I don't think they would do anything at a walk in centre either.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and this is my 5th week off work in a row with sinusitis. I've had bacterial cultures done on my snot which basically showed a rare bacteria that is only sensitive to one antibiotic that is safe in pregnancy and I'm now on my second week long course of that to try and resolve it. I know what you mean about bending down hurting! I haven't found anything at all that helps although we bought a warm mist humidifier for our bedroom which made sleeping a bit more bearable but I'm afraid it's been a terrible experience. I've had
Sinus problems before but never this bad. Hang in there, I'm told it will go eventually! X

P.S I've never had a temperature the whole time so that sounds like a load of rubbish. Just tel them you've been getting one anyway!

Olbas oil and Vicks sniffy stick things have been good too x

I've never been offered a swab ever even when I've been to ENT for issues in the past! Is this on NHS you had it taken to find out the bacteria. In that case I am going to get an emergency appointment tomorrow and get one taken as I think it's wrong they could leave you with a bacterial infection! As that's not good for the baby!! I'm really concerned now also im allergic to a lot of antibiotics. What antibiotic are you taking for it? So it could be I find out its bacterial and then can't take the medication anyway?! Why is nothing simple. I know it was awful at the beginning of pregnancy I had a really bad cold and for two months I had sinus problems and took ages to go away but they never treated me for it and I went back several times befor I knew I was pregnant I was taking all sorts of things and then when I found out I just had to let it work out of my system but they never offered me any tests then! It's a postcode lottery perhaps. Not surprising though I have had socking health care since moving from the south to the north!

Id definitely do the Vicks steaming method or even use olbas tea tree oil as well/instead of. I use either of them when I've got blocked nose(not the same as sinusitis I know) hope you start to feel better soon.xx

Have you tried irrigating your sinuses? I had bad sinusitis when I was pregnant. I would irrigate my sinuses at night and this helped get alot of that junk out of your nose. You can get the kit at boots. It's bottle you fill with warm water then add the salt packet and shake. Then you squirting it up one side of your nostril and the saline and junk flows out the other side. It's a weird feeling but i always felt so better afterwards.

Hi, sorry only just been back on. I live in Scotland (Ayrshire) but yes this was on the NHS. All I had to do was effectively scrape some of my snot into a tube for them (the super thick green stuff that feels like you've blown it out the centre of your head when you have sinusitis! Tmi)
By that point they had already tried me on Penicillin so while they waited for results they tried me on Amoxicllin. When results came back they were surprised as I had two types of bacteria and one of them was much more unusual, it showed up as being resistant to everything apart from Erythromycin and Doxcycline. Doxcycline cannot be given in pregnancy past 15 weeks so Erythromycin was my only option and it did make some improvement but when the course finished within 24 hours I was back to feeling terrible again and so they decided on a further week of it. Before I had the results they did warn me that you can have viral sinusitis though and there is nothing they can treat that with and it can last 6 weeks! X

I will try the saline solution to use for now and have managed to get a doc appointment but not for two weeks as no appointments so it will give it time to maybe clear on its own and then If still bad I can see if they can find the cause either viral or by bacteria. I didn't want to use the emergency appointment unless it gets to the point of being completely unbearable, if I just don't bend down! Im hoping it is just viral because I can't have any of the antibiotocs you mention I get anaphylaxis and end up in hospital so im not sure how they would treat it if it was bacterial but I read that it can harm the baby or cause mc if it's bacterial so I am worried even though I have issues all the time with my sinuses. They did want to operate on my nose back last year but I couldn't have the op at the time because of needing six weeks of recovery it wasn't an option and now it won't be an option for a while yet, but hindsight is wonderful and saying maybe I should have had it regardless of the issues at the time. Just hoping it doesnt last as long as it has in the past. Thanks for all the advice.

I had this before xmas.

I needed antibiotics in the end.

I have yet another cold and my face has started to ache yet again :(

Can you have Manuka honey in pregnancy? That's anti bacterial quite strong so no more than a tea spoon a day according to staff at Holland and barret. It's cheapest to get in aldi, if not maybe normal honey that helped for me as I was too tight to buy a jar of Manuka. And had about two three cups of herbal tea with two squirts of honey a day. With daily hot showers to steam out and I bought the medicinal baby lips from maybelline to protect my upper lip from my nose dripping I also used nose spray to help unblock blockage higher up . My nanna suggested Vix on my upper lip but I stuck to my baby lips one and left Vix to go on my chest!

I have loads of Manuka honey my mum got me loads for a xmas present :) my dad is like the man off my big fat Greek wedding if you have seen the film and instead of the cleaning fluid for curing everything my dad thinks Manuka cures everything he makes it into a cream with coconut oil and puts it on everything. He used to order it from New Zealand before you could even get it in the UK years and years ago. I have two spoons a day I assume it's safe i hope it is!

I take honey and doctors and chemist told me that I can I hale Vicks but I can't not put it on my skin as it's dangerous. I'm not sure why but that's what I was told. Wish i could put it on my chest tho woke up today with a stinking cold.

Last edited:
I have been suffering with sinusitis for 3 weeks now and I am on Erythromycin antibiotics as I'm allergic to penicillin. To be honest the antibiotics have made little difference, I think I'm just going to have to ride it out and hope it passes soon xx

I take honey and doctors and chemist told me that I can I hale Vicks but I can't not put it on my skin as it's dangerous. I'm not sure why but that's what I was told. Wish i could put it on my chest tho woke up today with a stinking cold.

I put it on my skin in my first pregnancy and all my chest neck and face inflammed all red and puffy!!

I think our skin can get too sensitive with hormone changes. So now i do the odd inhaling, it dnt bloody help tho does it :(

If it is bacterial then you wouldn't necessarily need the same antibiotics as I have anyway - that's the point of the swab, it tells them what the particular bacteria you have is sensitive and resistant to. But obviously you could find that unfortunately it is one of the ones you can't have but worth finding out in case it isn't. I've been so ill there is absolutely no way I would stand for not having an appointment for two weeks! X

My doctors aren't exactly pro active when it comes to anything the issues I have had since moving here is beyond a joke, I have Hashimotos and when I asked for my blood test results when I found out I was pregnant they told me I had to wait a week to see the doctor and they would tell me then! I had the biggest fit you could imagine as the medication is so important to development. I was livid when they said it was ok and not to worry when actually it was far from ok. I did find out that day but it took several calls and me telling them I was upping my dose regardless which she then thought I was taking an overdose for them to take notice! When ever you call for an emergency appointment the receptionist always wants to know what it's for which I think is rude and then she decides if it's good enough for an appointment. I was going to change my doctors but now being pregnant I don't want them to misplace my files and end up in limbo. I will be changing when baby is here that's for sure. I am steaming with menthol crystals and hope it can clear soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back