Single or double pram?

Slb24

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am no where near ready to buy anything yet! I will be finding out baby's gender on the 4th July. And then I will start buying. But for the last few days I've been thinking about single/double prams and I honestly cant decide.

My daughter is 2 in July. So will be 2 years 5 months when baby arrives. She is a great walker and on short journeys I don't use her pram. Actually it rarely gets used but it is a god send if she's tired or there is a long journey.

I don't drive so we do walk most places. I think whatever I buy (single or double) I will regret it! As I will either be wasting money or will miss not having a pram for her!

I am thinking of something like the icandy where one seat unit can be removed/added when needed.

Has anyone else got two children of a similar age? What did/will you be doing?

Thanks X

I'd go a single pram my son hasn't used his since he was about 2 and a half you can get a wee step on the back for her to stand on if she gets tired

My lg will be 2 years 4 months when baby is born. She'd love to walk everywhere, but in reality she gets tired and I have to carry her! I'm going to get the oyster max which can be a single or a double, so once she's stronger we can just have a buggy board on the back x

My eldest was 2yrs 6 months when I had my second. I had a single pram for the baby but I actually found it a lot easier to take the lightweight stroller for the toddler and carry the baby in a sling.

If your daughter's pram is suitable from birth you might be best just getting a sling and alternating (could start off with the toddler walking and baby in the pram and then if your toddler needs to use the buggy put the baby in a sling?)

I only used my big pram about 5 times in the end, the rest of the time the toddler went in the stroller and the baby was carried.
By age 3 my toddler wasn't using the stroller any more.

Our toddler will be 2 years 3 months when baby comes along. We haven't bought a new pushchair but we bought a buggy board and she's been riding on that when she's tired for the last few weeks. She's a good walker and there's only been a few trips where she's needed to go into the pushchair so we're hoping it will work out OK.

I considered a double pram but decided they are to heavy and anoying to use. I am going to use a wrap for baby and the pram we have already.

Thanks everyone. My daughter still sleeps 2-4 hours a day, she's a tired little girl lol I don't think she would stand on a buggy board and hold on. That's why I am weary of them xx

Mine will be 2 years 7 months when new baby is born..... I'm going for a single and a buggy board. Maybe the buggy board with the seat attachment just incase he does tire. Would that be worth looking into? I may get a cheap double pushchair just incase we go on days out or something but wouldn't spend hundreds on something that'll hardly be used. I've seen one for £70 as a just in case pushchair x

We actually stopped using Jackson's buggy before we got pregnant which was good as now he doesn't miss it.

He's 3 so is able for a buggy board should he see the pram and have a fit for it but by the time baby is here he will be 3yr 9m so probably won't need one.

I have a carrier for baby too I'd probably opt for that and have the eldest in the stroller and hopefully by the time baby needs stroller toddler will be ready for walking?

Jackson used to sleep quite a lot he still can have a 3hr nap easily at 3 lol he wasn't the best at walking at first even then he still asks up occasionally but I can't lift him now and he just gets on with it lol. Id have says had this second baby been born when J was 2 he wasn't ready for full time walking yet, but that's just him. You'll know what she's ready for but I'd deffo start practicing if you aren't already? We did ours in the summer so it was easier and only used it for bad weather then eventually we just didn't use it.

xxxx

I have a Stokke Xplory for my son and he will be just coming up for 2 when baby arrives. I will get a buggy board and I already have a sling.
We are going to use our single pram just swapping between kids or having my little boy go on buggy board! I'm hoping it's as easy as it sounds!! X

Maybe look on gumtree or eBay for a second hand double buggy as you're daughter will be older she won't need it for a very long time would save you some money

I think I will mummywanabe.

Thank you for all your replies.

A question to the ladies who are using slings/wraps. . What have you bought or will you be buying? With my daughter the sling I had killed my back. I didn't buy it a friend did for me. This time I want to shop around and get the best one.

For the buggy boards/easy X riders can you get a rain cover for them? I don't drive so we do walk everywhere. I would feel awful if my little girl got soaked lol xx

See if you have a sling service to hire to try before you buy. I don't think with slings you really can know until you try on your own body!
I was given mine, Ergo baby.
I think you can get some kind of tent/cape for buggy board to keep it and your little one dry. X
X

Get an uppababy vista 2015 edition-you can add a second seat on it if needed xx

I don't think I have one near me selina. Thanks though :)

TTC.. That's what I was thinking of getting. But I'm not sure if it would get wasted. Thanks :) xx

Sib24 I'm almost certain there will be one. They have them all over the place in hospitals, children's centres, community centres and churches.
Google and see what's in your area. Xx

My son was 19 months when this baby was born, I kept the bugaboo for her and bought an X rider for him. If we go out we usually end up with him in the seat on the way and on the way back he wants to walk. Glad we didn't spend a lot on a double (I have bought one for holiday later this year as we'll be out walking a lot and it was only £30 becuase of a ripped box)

If it's raining i put the rain over over the pram and if it's wet when we leave the house I put waterproof trousers on him. Otherwise I take an umbrella with us and if it start raining I keep him and me dry under that x

I think I will mummywanabe.

Thank you for all your replies.

A question to the ladies who are using slings/wraps. . What have you bought or will you be buying? With my daughter the sling I had killed my back. I didn't buy it a friend did for me. This time I want to shop around and get the best one.

A stretchy wrap would be best for a newborn, easy to get to grips with and should be good on your back. Also they are the cheaper option compared to other slings, so you won't have too much outlay (around £30)
Look for one like Moby, Kari Me, Maduca stretchy etc. They have the best resale value.

If you can find a local sling library to have a go with them first that would be good, also for tips on how to wear them so they are as comfy & supportive as possible.
And you could choose to hire one if you'd rather.

Stretchy wraps are good for small babies but sag under the weight of heavier ones so by the time your baby is 4-6 months you'd really want to either use the stroller or "upgrade" to a woven wrap, a Ring sling, or Mei Tai/SSC (like the Ergo) etc.

You could of course go straight for a woven wrap.

Most SSCs are not suitable for babies under 4 months unless they have the newborn inserts (like the Ergo has) so that's something you'd need to check before buying one like that.
Ring slings, especially the ones made by woven wrap companies, are very good too and can be used from birth and are a bit easier/quicker to put on than a wrap, but they only go over one shoulder so may not feel as comfy/supportive. Again, if you have a sling library near you you could try them out and see which you prefer.

If you don't have a sling library though I personally would go for a stretchy like a Moby. It should come with instructions on how to wear it (or look on youtube for 'Moby PWCC' etc) and you should be able to sell it on for almost RRP when you're done with it.

Thank you :) Phoenix I hadn't thought about it before until you mentioned about the different slings for ages etc. But my daughter was born at 37+4 weighing 4lbs 9. I was diagnosed with IUGR and there could be a possibility this baby will be the same. My daughter was 10 weeks old before she was in newborn lol would slings be appropriate if this baby is small? X

I have ordered the 2015 uppababy vista so that I can jab it either single or double. My son will be 16 months when baby arrives tho so a smaller gap than you. I rememebr I got a sling to use last time and found it really difficult to carry him when he got to about 5 months, to me it just felt like I was carrying unnecessary weight . Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back