Single mums of more than one... Bedtime?

LaceyKeo

Reaction score
Background: I'm not actually single, very much with my youngest's dad, however, he lives 4,000 miles away.
Currently (temporarily) living at my parents, hopefully my house should be ready in the next month.
3yo goes to bed 6:30/7pm.
11mo at 7:30/8pm.

11 screams when I leave the room. My parents currently watch her while I put 3 to bed (which she's fine with, she screams if I leave her alone, like to take plates to the kitchen/whatever).

It takes around 30 mins to put 3 to bed. Bedtime story, etc.

How the heck am I supposed to handle bedtimes once I finally get in my own house?

Any ideas appreciated.

(if I try bringing 11 in the room with us for 3s bedtime, they both just play about. I tried it for a week and it made bedtimes hell).

Hmm.

Not sure. My LOs go to bed at the opposite times of yours. My 1 year old at 6pm and 3 year old at 7pm. Luckily he can sit and watch TV or tidy up whilst I put the youngest to bed.

Could the youngest go to bed any earlier because at least your 3 year old could entertain himself whilst you sort the youngest?

I think putting your youngest to bed before your 3yo would be the key. I think he would be able to behave, or at least entertain himself, whilst you spend the time ensuring 11 is put to bed.

That would make sense, if she'd go to sleep any earlier, but she flat out refuses. If I try and put her to bed before she's ready, she sits and screams, which then winds 3yo up anyway.

It's one of those things, I think, that will be horrendous for a week or two while we all figure out what we're doing, and eventually a new routine will fall into place.

I'm just stumped to see how right now. Xx

I am not a single mum, but my husband works away a lot and often works later so I do bedtime on my own. My little on is only 6 months old, and I have a 4 month old. The only advice I can give is routine. I put my youngest to bed before my eldest though.

I'm not a single mum but my hubby works shifts which involve me doing bedtime by myself every few days. I have a 2 yo and a 5 month old.
Here's how I do it, dunno if it helps!
Take both girls upstairs at around 6.45pm.
Run bath, put youngest on playmat in bathroom with me whilst eldest potters around upstairs.
Get eldest undressed & put in bath, then undress youngest in bathroom & put in bath.
Then I get my youngest out, dress her on bathroom floor, then put her back on playmat whilst eldest is dressed, bedtime story etc. She is left for around 20 mins. I go back in to say hi to her periodically. She sometimes cries, but I just leave her to it as long as I know she's safe. When she was younger she used to cry quite a bit, sometimes there's not a lot you can do if you're outnumbered! :)
Once eldest is in bed I can then feed littlest & put her to bed. Both asleep generally by 8pm.
It's tricky doing it by yourself with a small age gap x

Can you start bathing them together at bedtime? Then story time together, 3yo goes down then take 11mnth to her bed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back