Signs of PGP?

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Hey all

Hoping to get some reassurance.

The past week or so I have noticed when I stand and walk I get a dull pain either across my pubic bone or sometimes just in the general groin area. Standing or sitting or lying a way for too long hurts and also noticed when walking about I get random sciatic nerve pains shooting from the back down. Just a a couple then they go.

I don't remember being this achey so early with Jackson I only had a bad back towards the end. This time I've had sore back and hips throughout pregnancy and I do a somewhat physical job so noticing sitting or standing is getting harder, I am also mildly waddling. The other day it felt I had to waddle because every step I had a pain shoot through my groin. Then I had a day of feeling as though I was doing or had did the splits. The whole pubis and inner thigh joints were sore, I don't lie with my legs spread..

Not really sure if this is just general pregnancy wear and tear and perhaps cause I'm older and working more etc than previously when I was pregnant with Jackson. I'm due my midwife next week so will let her know but just wondering if this sounds like PGP signs starting out. I feel this has been gradually worsening over the past week or so, so definitely not just a pulled muscle. Bottom of my bump has also been achey which I put down to growing it just feels heavy and tender some days when walking.

Sorry for the short story..

xxxx

Last edited:
Not an expert, but had a similar thing at about your gestation...
Seriously, my hip was agony every time I had been standing or sitting and then tried to move!
It seems to have worn off now... Hope is the same for you! Xx

If it was just my hip or back I wouldn't bother. This is my full pubic bone, hips, back, sciatic nerves and achey bump.

Just hoping those with pgp can shed some light. Never had anything like it before.

Thanks love its not too bothering now but if it is pgp it could and prob will gradually worsen.

xxxxx

Does sound like SPD to be honest. I have SPD & SJD. So it's both in the groin area and around the back in the sacroiliac joint too. It's worth getting yourself a maternity support belt to take the weight of your bump off your hips. I'm having to wear mine every day now. I see the consultant next Friday for pain management & the following Tuesday I have physio so will probably get crutches then.
I'm struggling to even lift my toddler now. Getting him and out the car/bath is killing me.
Pushing a trolley is hardwork when shopping feels like my pelvis is going to split. And bed time I'm using my bolster pillow between my knees to keep my hips in alignment.

It aches when sat down too long in the hips/lower back. But when walking it feels like something is between my legs pushing my pelvis sideways apart trying to tear me in half.

I do get it quite bad though due to having hypermobility syndrome. I had it severely in first pregnancy and they've said they'll have to watch me closely this time as it gets worse in pregnancies!

If you speak to your GP or MW you should et a physio referral through pretty quickly being pregnant xx

Yeah Claire, sounds like PGP. You need to self refer to physio and they'll give you a support belt to wear.
General advice is
Use a support pillow in bed between your knees
Try to keep your knees together as much as possible (when turning in bed, getting in and out of car etc)
Sit to get dressed
Carry your weight evenly (don't have all your weight on one leg when standing)
Use a birthing ball to help pelvic stability

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back