Side to sleep on?

FirstBabyEek

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies,

Just wondered if anyone knew if it was safe to sleep in any position? I read online that its not a good idea to sleep on your right as it can potentially restrict blood flow.

Its prob not so much of an issue until Tri 3 and not sure if that is a myth but if anyone has any opinion or has heard from their mw which is best, I'd be grateful as my mw didnt mention it (so its prob nothing to be thinking about now just getting some :nap: would be nice)

xx

i can only sleep on my left i try to sleep on my right but within ann hour im on the left,

Ive also heard that sleeping ont he left is better but not a clue if its true x

Yes I have heard about only sleeping on your left hand side and not on your back.... I am already trying to get used to this position as I used to sleep on my belly! I sleep with a pillow behind me, but once I get bigger I will probably get a maternity pillow.

xx

I start off on my left and wake up all over the place. I didn't think it was a problem early on, but maybe I need to prop myself so I don't turn over.

Yep, as Fi says you have a big artery on your right side. Also sleeping on the left soothes the heart rate so if you are anxious (as everyone is in tri 1) it slows blood flow to the brain and helps it "switch off" xxxxxxxxx

you can sleep any which way you like..but after a certin point you'll find your belly uncomfortable, the nit'll get uncomfortable on your back as the weeks proress.

It is suggested on your side is best, preferably your left as its meant to improve blood flow. However, my midwife basically said any side wil do - I alterate in the night as if i stay on one side i get back ache

Just find whatever is most comfortable for you and enjoy it for as long as you can!! xx

Yep, as Fi says you have a big artery on your right side. Also sleeping on the left soothes the heart rate so if you are anxious (as everyone is in tri 1) it slows blood flow to the brain and helps it "switch off" xxxxxxxxx

That's really interesting. I always sleep on my right, perhaps that's why i'm such a stress head!!

I've not heard any of those things before, but i'm sure in my last pregnancy my midwife advised against sleeping on my back. That might have been due to backache though, I can't remember.

To be honest once you get close to your due date you sleep however you feel comfortable, if you're lucky enough to get comfortable!!

I ALWAYS sleep on my right, all the time.
I need my adenoids removed (a procedure I refuse to get) so I breathe really heavily while sleeping with my mouth hanging open lol, and hubby is on my left side and I've kind of trained myself to sleep away from him cuz he always complained about me breathing on him. I also sleep with my eyes open so if he woke up in the middle of the night and I was sleeping, it'd look to him like I was staring at him with my mouth open - and it freaked him out LOL - so I'm very conscious about sleeping on my left.

I also sleep on my belly, but obv won't be able to soon enough lol x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Jay that really made me laugh!!!

I sleep all different ways - starting on my left, to the right, onto back, left again... I'm a fidgeter lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back